ADVERTISEMENT

O.T.-"Joey Boots" dead

RUhasarrived

All American
May 7, 2007
Howard Stern's producer,Joe Bassolino,who originated the Baba Booey phrase was found dead last night in his NYC apartment.

He wasn't the producer and didn't come up with that phrase. That is Gary D'ellabate (sp?)

He coined the phrase and used to constantly poke fun at Gary. He was not the producer, that was Gary. My wife screams down to me earlier that Baba Booey was dead. Spent the next 10 minutes looking for the story and realized it was Joey.

The math doesn't work. He was 49 years old. That phrase has been around since the early 80s. He couldn't have come up with it.

Joey Boots was High Pitch Eric's friend. He was not the producer of the Stern SHow and he had nothing to do with coining the phrase Baba Bouey.

Forgot the exact story but knew it was a Gary mess up and the show wouldn't let it go....not a Joey Boots creation - here it is:

Dell'Abate's nickname originated in 1987 (he was previously called "Boy Gary"). Dell'Abate was telling the story of his prized collection of animation cells, and in the course of discussing a Quick Draw McGraw cell he was considering buying, he mis-stated "Baba Looey", the name of McGraw's sidekick, as "Baba Booey" thinking that was the character's name. As is typical of the show, the rest of the cast "goofed" on his mistake, becoming especially merciless since Gary was considering purchasing a cell of a character without even knowing the character's correct name. Dell'Abate said something to the effect that they would forget the name by the next day, yet nearly two decades have passed and it is still his nickname.

Last edited:
Forgot the exact story but knew it was a Gary mess up and the show wouldn't let it go....not a Joey Boots creation - here it is:

Dell'Abate's nickname originated in 1987 (he was previously called "Boy Gary"). Dell'Abate was telling the story of his prized collection of animation cells, and in the course of discussing a Quick Draw McGraw cell he was considering buying, he mis-stated "Baba Looey", the name of McGraw's sidekick, as "Baba Booey" thinking that was the character's name. As is typical of the show, the rest of the cast "goofed" on his mistake, becoming especially merciless since Gary was considering purchasing a cell of a character without even knowing the character's correct name. Dell'Abate said something to the effect that they would forget the name by the next day, yet nearly two decades have passed and it is still his nickname.

I heard it live. That's exactly what happened. It happened on or about 1990. I have to think that it was in part scripted. Fred played the song Soul Makossa and dubbed in a recording of Gary saying Baba Booey. It was too well-prepared to happen on the cuff.

So many electrons died for nothing in this thread. It's sad. And on Christmas too. RIP wasted little guys.

Joey Boots was a wack packer. He was a vet, and tried to make a living dropping in on live NY news broadcasts screaming "baba booey- Howard sterns penis". He came out as a homosexual a couple of year ago, and at one point had a nasty drinking problem for a while, but I don't recall drugs. He will be missed, funny dude

Sorry that post was meant as a reply directly to the OP not to you
So maybe easy on calling people dummy, as not knowing how to hit a simple reply button might paint you with that brush...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT