ADVERTISEMENT

Official NCAA Selection Show thread

Pete, I remember Terry Cummings. Funny DePaul had Cummings and a guy named Teddy Grubbs. Grubbs was their Ace Bailey and Cummings became the star recruit.

The Big East could get 3 teams to Sweet 16 to carry the conference and UConn could go back to back....but the league has a lot of local media hype in our area. If this isn't a slap in the face of reality, not sure what is.
very top heavy but beyond that pretty mediocre. You got it right, this area is very bias toward this conference...a reality check

have 2 atrocious programs is killing it

mid majors are always outliers

Indiana State beat no one ooc and only Drake once big deal
Wouldn’t that mean that if they’re 29th nationally in net that the net pretty useless. You say it’s used for sorting but why is the method that lacks any credibility. It says 29 maybe it really came in at 69.. Simply saying that it’s used for sorting doesn’t make it logical in anyway. They didn’t play anyone they didn’t beat anyone and yet they’re ranked 29th in the net. If there weren’t the five bids dealers, and they got in, then that will replace them at the seven seed.

My point is the surprise AQs handcuffed them somewhat. But in the end, what are we talking about? A handful of teams that may have a beef this year?
That’s kind of my point. The commissioner was on saying how difficult this all was and they were up until 2 etc..and I get it. But basically they had to add in a few teams and change some of the lower teams’ seedings. Not saying a lot of work doesn’t go into it, but 90% of the work was done last week….and there are always going to be “beefs” by the last few teams.

Reactions: bac2therac
That’s kind of my point. The commissioner was on saying how difficult this all was and they were up until 2 etc..and I get it. But basically they had to add in a few teams and change some of the lower teams’ seedings. Not saying a lot of work doesn’t go into it, but 90% of the work was done last week….and there are always going to be “beefs” by the last few teams.
Totally agree.

Reactions: Mr Magoo
Now we know, most of the drama the last couple of days only mattered for the winners of the tournaments…and that’s if they weren’t already in….basically, the committee did their work last week and only plugged in the surprised winners…e.g., Oregon, NC State etc

exactly and every year we all get guilty of getting caught up in the excitement of champioship week only to forget what we learned from previous seasons

the talk of iowa state as a 1 was just stunning, you dont get movement like that in 3 days...pundits should have known better

this is exactly what happened

Reactions: Mr Magoo
Wouldn’t that mean that if they’re 29th nationally in net that the net pretty useless. You say it’s used for sorting but why is the method that lacks any credibility. It says 29 maybe it really came in at 69.. Simply saying that it’s used for sorting doesn’t make it logical in anyway. They didn’t play anyone they didn’t beat anyone and yet they’re ranked 29th in the net. If there weren’t the five bids dealers, and they got in, then that will replace them at the seven seed.
the net does not corrrelate to seeding...it just doesnt...auburn is a 4 seed but was 5 OVERALL in net

Reactions: RUChoppin
UVA is better than St. John’s and seton hall. This isn’t vintage UVA but they do have good wins ( Texas AM @ Clemson Florida ) and no quad 3/4 losses
Yes and no. Dont pass the eye test though. Get over their pace and can beat them easily like VA Tech.

BAC did the same work as the committein a committee of 1 and although they were very similar, his inclusion of Oklahoma made more sense and his seedings were better.
Oklahoma and Dayton looked shaky to me

Why would you say that the work was done last week? While committee members do research on their own, none of the work starts until they convene on Wednesday.

St Johns had one win vs the field...sorry beating Creighton does not get it done
Folks fell in love with that season-ending win streak but the best win was Creighton. The bulk of it was DePaul, GTown, and a middling Butler. SHU was a good win but not enough with the other results. No credit is given for “hanging” with UConn.

Why would you say that the work was done last week? While committee members do research on their own, none of the work starts until they convene on Wednesday.
Lol. Pretty clear it’s done and they just work around bid stealers.
Go to 128 and skip the phony conference tourneys which screw regular season winners.

Count me in the list of people who don’t understand the use of the NET.

It apparently isn’t a direct reflection of “rankings,” i.e., Indiana State isn’t the 29th best team in the country, and yet they finished with a NET of 29.

And yet the NET is used to create the “quad” system that the committee HEAVILY relies on in making the selections. We have quad wins and losses based on NET rankings that are ADMITTEDLY flawed.

So let me get this straight — the NET is not a ranking system and yet it directly determines every team’s quad wins and losses, and by extension determines every school’s tournament resume.

How can this NET system possibly be viewed as credible? Whether used as a sorting tool, a seeding tool, or otherwise? Might as well just throw darts against the wall blindfolded.

Count me in the list of people who don’t understand the use of the NET.

It apparently isn’t a direct reflection of “rankings,” i.e., Indiana State isn’t the 29th best team in the country, and yet they finished with a NET of 29.

And yet the NET is used to create the “quad” system that the committee HEAVILY relies on in making the selections. We have quad wins and losses based on NET rankings that are ADMITTEDLY flawed.

So let me get this straight — the NET is not a ranking system and yet it directly determines every team’s quad wins and losses, and by extension determines every school’s tournament resume.

How can this NET system possibly be viewed as credible? Whether used as a sorting tool, a seeding tool, or otherwise? Might as well just throw darts against the wall blindfolded.
Rick?

UVA is better than St. John’s and seton hall. This isn’t vintage UVA but they do have good wins ( Texas AM @ Clemson Florida ) and no quad 3/4 losses
Agreed, they are better than those 2. I would have picked Indiana St. or Oklahoma over them though. Their losses were atrocious and non-competitive (I think by 10+ points except 1 game).

Conference tourney dooesnt matter

See st johns and Providence
It does for the minor conferences-winner takes all, while purportedly better teams sit home. St Peters in the MAAC is going dancing, but Quinnipiac was superior all season, beating St Peters handily twice, but losing in a buzzer beater to them in the semifinals. But them are the rules. I'll jump on the waaahmbulance with Jerry and Sha. My son goes to Quinnipiac.

Last edited:
Just listened to NCAA guy and geographical crap to justify East being most difficult is a cop out.

Reactions: bac2therac
The NET is pretty stupid if we’re being real
The NET isn’t where you rank, butttttt they use it to determine bad losses.
Example, our loss against Nebraska last year was a bad loss. Nebraska got hot at the end of the season last year and finished 9-11 in conference. But because of the “Net,” that was a quad 3 loss.

Reactions: RUPete and G- RUnit
As a backup UVA fan because of my oldest I am happy they made it. That said I am really surprised one of the Big Eats teams didn’t bump them.

The NET is pretty stupid if we’re being real
The NET isn’t where you rank, butttttt they use it to determine bad losses.
Example, our loss against Nebraska last year was a bad loss. Nebraska got hot at the end of the season last year and finished 9-11 in conference. But because of the “Net,” that was a quad 3 loss.

Well we lost to them at home and overall they were not that good

A bad loss for a team who wants to be an at large

I like Norlander as a journalist and podcast host. But I think he's usually a little lacking when it comes to bracketology. Even he's baffled by some of the seeding.

Please. Not directed at you, directed at the PC coach. He’s barking up the wrong tree with that argument. Any team that got left out can find their look-in-the-mirror moment. For us it was Minn and SHU last year among others. Temple was bad too.

Providence was 10-13 in q123

Sorry thats terrible

That is not metrics its performance

Lol. Pretty clear it’s done and they just work around bid stealers.
What about it is pretty clear? I think that the conference tournament games mean almost nothing once we've hit Friday and they are well on the way to building the bracket. But people get overly swayed by the results of them...they are still just one game in a 30+ game data point, and mean nothing more than a game played in November.

The committee doesn't start voting or building the bracket until they convene on Wednesday...while each member has their opinions coming in, it's not like they've actually done anything to select or bracket teams, outside of each filling in their top 36, and all teams they think should get at-large consideration.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT