ADVERTISEMENT

Official Offseason Coaching Staff Speculation Thread

ScarletStateofNJ

All Conference
Jul 6, 2011
So given our underperforming season and the announcement that Ash is back next year, we can expect some turnover on his staff. Who’s leaving?

My top contenders are:
Jay Neimann
Lester Erb

I wouldn't be suprised to see Blazek asked to leave. You would think Niemann is gone as well, but the defense did really turn it around once Ash got more involved. I truly think that with his seat hot entering next year, Ash will probably stay extremely involved in the defense.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
If your boss takes over some of your responsibility and your group’s performance improves, well you better start packing.

If you pair a great S&C coach with a great OL coach then you can develop 2 & 3 star talent into some studs. That hasn’t happened at RU. That’s a problem. I’d look at those coaches too.

Niemann has to go, and I'd say we shouldn't hire a new DC. Ash should take over DC duties for next year, which will be a tremendous challenge with the roster we'll be returning on that side of the ball.

Other than that, though? I'd rather not spend money on replacing other assistants for what will almost certainly be a one year stint - or worse, a two year contract that we have to buy out the second half of. Replace any assistants that get jobs elsewhere, but don't go hunting for top assistants because no one worth their salt would come here with Ash's career hanging by a thread.

I expect the offense to take a step forward in McNulty's second year (consistency at OC? Whaaa?) but the defense to take a step back with the personnel losses. I'd say we're looking at a 2-3 win season next year, and then Hobbs will have to make a decision (again)... and hopefully the right one at that time.

I said it in another thread, hire the Colgate DC one of the top defenses in FCS for years, bring back Joe Susan for the OL, and find a WRs coach from one of the top offenses or top teams in FCS that has good recruiting ties.

I said it in another thread, hire the Colgate DC one of the top defenses in FCS for years, bring back Joe Susan for the OL, and find a WRs coach from one of the top offenses or top teams in FCS that has good recruiting ties.

So you want Joe Susan to quit a comfy HC gig that he's had for 10 years to coach OL for one year so he can be out of a job?

Does anyone on the free board think before they post?

Neimann comes back IMO. He’s Ash’s mentor and the defense improved when Ash got involved so I don’t see him turning over the defense to someone new. He’ll continue to work with Neimann.

RU is going to have to over pay for any new coaches unless they are given multi-year contracts because who would come here to work for "dead man walking".

Joe Susan was here from 2001-2009 and he just came off a 1-10 record with Bucknell in 2018, don't see why it would be a bad thing, he developed some good NFL OL for those years.

Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT