ADVERTISEMENT

Official Rutgers vs Northwestern Prediction Thread

24-10. RU
Brown runs for 130 yds and 2 TDS
Gavin completes 60% and runs for 55 yards. He does throw in one int and 1 TD.
Defense gives RU field position throughout the game.

Reactions: sct1111 and NBHPRU
Rutgers 24
Northwestern 13

Rutgers 14
Northwestern 10 halftime

Defense tightens in second half and knocks out first string QB Ben Bryant. Replaced by Hilinski who manages a drive for a late field goal.

Rutgers 24
Northwestern 13

Rutgers 14
Northwestern 10 halftime

Defense tightens in second half and knocks out first string QB Ben Bryant. Replaced by Hilinski who manages a drive for a late field goal.
They are both good QBs. Hope I don't live to regret the statement, but their OC Mike Bajakian has been around a lot of places. He's a NJ guy, started at RU as a grad assistant in 1998-99.
Has been OC at:
Cincinnati 2010-12 under Butch Jones (also was a GA at Rutgers)
Tennessee 2013-14 (followed Jones)
Tampa Bay Bucs 2015-18- Under Lovie, and then Licht
Boston College 2019 under Hafley
Northwestern 2020- present

Last 2 years, NW has been at bottom of B1G in points scored along with Rutgers and Iowa.
He could have been Rutgers' OC if RU had hire Jones or Hafley!

They are both good QBs. Hope I don't live to regret the statement, but their OC Mike Bajakian has been around a lot of places. He's a NJ guy, started at RU as a grad assistant in 1998-99.
Has been OC at:
Cincinnati 2010-12 under Butch Jones (also was a GA at Rutgers)
Tennessee 2013-14 (followed Jones)
Tampa Bay Bucs 2015-18- Under Lovie, and then Licht
Boston College 2019 under Hafley
Northwestern 2020- present

Last 2 years, NW has been at bottom of B1G in points scored along with Rutgers and Iowa.
He could have been Rutgers' OC if RU had hire Jones or Hafley!
Yep followed Hilinski since he was linked to Rutgers as a recruit. Went onto South Carolina had a couple decent seasons before losing his starting job.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I'd like to see the offense do better than settling for five FGs, but one positive development would be establishing a reliable placekicker. And of course, the W.

Another positive spin: When was the last time we were in FG range 5 times in a game?
That would at least be something.

Reactions: RUPete
Interested in the thought process around making a prediction. Especially for the 1st game of the year.

I'll speak for myself - I've seen nothing of the team, new OC philosophy or progress (if any) of the players so far. Wouldn't even know where to start with predicting how they will perform.
Northwestern? I know even less about them.

Considering the offense didn't score more than 22pts against any non-Wagner opponent, how are people predicting what we'll score?

Note: Indiana was 24pts but offense only scored 17 with a defensive score added in.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Interested in the thought process around making a prediction. Especially for the 1st game of the year.

I'll speak for myself - I've seen nothing of the team, new OC philosophy or progress (if any) of the players so far. Wouldn't even know where to start with predicting how they will perform.

Considering the offense didn't score more than 22pts against any non-Wagner opponent, how are people predicting what we'll score?

Note: Indiana was 24pts but offense only scored 17 with a defensive score added in.
It’s called week 1 optimism…we are UNDEFEATED! (For now) 😎

24-10. RU
Brown runs for 130 yds and 2 TDS
Gavin completes 60% and runs for 55 yards. He does throw in one int and 1 TD.
Defense gives RU field position throughout the game.
From your lips to God's ears.

I can assure you 45 points is a minimum for Rutgers. Bet the farm. You will thank me later.

• Angry
Reactions: NickRU714
I can assure you 45 points is a minimum for Rutgers. Bet the farm. You will thank me later.

Shit!
Just realized I forgot to bet on the game while in the city at work. Already back in Hoboken and on the train.
Won’t be back in NYC this week.

If offense can run ball for over 100 plus, and Gavin hits some to keep them honest, we can win 21 - 10. Our D will be be good...

Reactions: Knight Shift
I just saw the spread on ESPN. RU -6 1/2.

That sounds reasonable so I'll predict:

RU 20 1/2
NW 14

OsJXeE.gif

Reactions: RUfromNJ
Bob...yours is a reasonable prediction. I have it 16-10 RU.

I'm not even criticizing here. The offense can't do that bc of philosophy. Predicting 45 in a P5 game is like predicting 100 from Princeton w/ Pete Carrill and no shot clock.

It's just not Schiano's approach.

I don’t think we’ll score 45; however, it’s not entirely true that he’s never had a team that proved it could be dominant on offense. Schiano has historically been a defense first coach, but he deserves acckowledgment (that routinely gets overlooked) for turning the offense around in 2008. Team really came out of nowhere and clicked as an offense down the BE stretch and that never gets talked about.

54 vs Pitt. Followed by 35 vs Cuse. Followed by 49 vs USF. Then 30 vs Army in a complete drubbing (score only so low because they run every posession and eat clock). And of course - closing out the regular season with the 63 point laugher vs UofL. Quite a stretch of dominant games on offense. I guess my point is, you just never know.

Reactions: GillesDeleuze
I don’t think we’ll score 45; however, it’s not entirely true that he’s never had a team that proved it could be dominant on offense. Schiano has historically been a defense first coach, but he deserves acckowledgment (that routinely gets overlooked) for turning the offense around in 2008. Team really came out of nowhere and clicked as an offense down the BE stretch and that never gets talked about.

54 vs Pitt. Followed by 35 vs Cuse. Followed by 49 vs USF. Then 30 vs Army in a complete drubbing (score only so low because they run every posession and eat clock). And of course - closing out the regular season with the 63 point laugher vs UofL. Quite a stretch of dominant games on offense. I guess my point is, you just never know.
sometimes you do know....this is one of those times.

13-10 Knights. Offensive football get set back decades.
There have been countless offensive philosophies since football was invented: wing t, wildcat, triple option, spread, wishbone, rpo etc.

History will label run clock, punt-first, risk-averse, futile, watching paint dry offense as “Schiano-offense”. But it will only be an in-contrast description and comparison to viable offenses because no other team will ever employ the same style of purposely horrid offense.

There have been countless offensive philosophies since football was invented: wing t, wildcat, triple option, spread, wishbone, rpo etc.

History will label run clock, punt-first, risk-averse, futile, watching paint dry offense as “Schiano-offense”. But it will only be an in-contrast description and comparison to viable offenses because no other team will ever employ the same style of purposely horrid offense.
NW might be the one team who will match it.

NW might be the one team who will match it.
Ours is a philosophy. NW may have, and last year’s Iowa offense did have stark talent shortcomings. There’s a difference. Iowa would not punt on 4th and 2 down 6 points in plus territory with no timeouts and 80 seconds left.

A “Schiano offense” (n=1) punts in that situation hoping for a turnover.

Without realizing it today, Schiano will have this type of losing philosophy named for him.

Reactions: Caliknight
I think we run all over them and our defense, especially the DLine, gives their QB fits.

RU 28-10.

Ours is a philosophy. NW may have, and last year’s Iowa offense did have stark talent shortcomings. There’s a difference. Iowa would not punt on 4th and 2 down 6 points in plus territory with no timeouts and 80 seconds left.

A “Schiano offense” (n=1) punts in that situation hoping for a turnover.

Without realizing it today, Schiano will have this type of losing philosophy named for him.
No doubt. Schiano’s favorite football play is the punt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT