ADVERTISEMENT

Official: Northwestern will play football at their soccer stadium next 2 years

The OP was a discussion on Northwestern which I commented on.

Another poster turned it into a post referring to Pitt which I commented on and how student body can have a factor in football attendance.

To be more exact on student body of our respective schools.

As of the Fall of 2023 Pitt has a Total Student Body (Including Branch Campuses) is 33,731 students).
Rutgers Total Student Body (Including Branch Campuses) is 68,942 students.

Rutgers is twice as larger as Pitt when comparing students attending a given university.

The number of students a university has the potential of increasing the attendance at home football games.

You have the number of students on site at the campus in addition to the number of Alums (graduates) who decide to attend home football games. It a numbers game. Penn State has a student body of about 100,000 students (3 times larger than Pitt).

My point is Pitt's football home attendance is not unusual when compared compared to other schools when considering total students on campus and total number of alums.

All good.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
But even with “branch” campuses including allied health and med schools 68k( Newark, Camden are more regional universities not really branch campuses) the total enrollment comes nowhere near your assertion of 90k. Rutgers New Brunswick and Pitt are not that far off in size. 35vs45k.

Reactions: PSU_Nut
But even with “branch” campuses including allied health and med schools 68k( Newark, Camden are more regional universities not really branch campuses) the total enrollment comes nowhere near your assertion of 90k. Rutgers New Brunswick and Pitt are not that far off in size. 35vs45k.

You can't discount alums attending home football games.

I think there are more alums who attend home football games than current students (IMHO).

Saved student sections at Pitt and I would guess Rutgers are only a small component of total stadium capacity.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

I think there are more alums who attend home football games than current students (IMHO).

Saved student sections at Pitt and I would guess Rutgers are only a small component of total stadium capacity.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
If you said alumni we wouldn’t be having this discussion. Again I’m trying to understand where you came up with 90k students. When Rutgers New Brunswick is less than half the size and no one includes Newark and Camden in discussions about Rutgers athletics attendance. Much like no one includes Pitt Johnstown.

And the Rutgers student section and ticket allotment is probably 20-25% of overall stadium capacity according to my ticket rep.

The OP was a discussion on Northwestern which I commented on.

Another poster turned it into a post referring to Pitt which I commented on and how student body can have a factor in football attendance.

To be more exact on student body of our respective schools.

As of the Fall of 2023 Pitt has a Total Student Body (Including Branch Campuses) of 33,731 students).
Rutgers Total Student Body (Including Branch Campuses) of 68,942 students.

Rutgers is twice as larger as Pitt when comparing students attending.

The number of students a university has increases the potential of greater attendance for home football games.

You have the number of students on site at the campus in addition to the number of Alums (graduates) who decide to attend home football games. It is a numbers game. Penn State has a student body of about 100,000 students (3 times larger than Pitt).

My point was Pitt's football home attendance is not unusual when compared compared to other schools when considering total students on campus and total number of alums.

All good.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Just stop being ridiculous. You know very well that Newark and Camden have nothing to do with the main campus in New Brunswick/Piscataway, so stop including those students in the total. Enrollment at the New Brunswick/Piscataway campus is 43,859 so just cut the crap already.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

If you said alumni we wouldn’t be having this discussion. Again I’m trying to understand where you came up with 90k students. When Rutgers New Brunswick is less than half the size and no one includes Newark and Camden in discussions about Rutgers athletics attendance. Much like no one includes Pitt Johnstown.

And the Rutgers student section and ticket allotment is probably 20-25% of overall stadium capacity according to my ticket rep.
Some have even said it's too large as it is.

The 90,000 number was not researched for accuracy.

Again total Alums is a chief component of home attendance.

It stands to reason the more alums a school has greater potential of increased football attendance.

Penn State getting over 100,000 fans to attend Beaver Stadium is not remarkable do to the fact that they have 3 times the number of alums as Pitt who could go to the game.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

It stands to reason the more alums a school has greater potential of increased football attendance.

Penn State getting over 100,000 fans to attend Beaver Stadium is not remarkable do to the fact that they have 3 times the number of alums as Pitt who could go to the game.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Why are you now bringing Penn State into this discussion? They have nothing to do with this. You made assertions comparing Rutgers and Pitt attendance based on student enrollment (grossly inflated numbers) then you switched to alumni. And now you’re bringing Penn State into the debate.

Weird.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Just from State College?

Me myself, I don’t factor in those from Newark, Camden or any of the other schools (either law school, RWJMS, etc.) when talking about alumni numbers.

Just stop being ridiculous. You know very well that Newark and Camden have nothing to do with the main campus in New Brunswick/Piscataway, so stop including those students in the total. Enrollment at the New Brunswick/Piscataway campus is 43,859 so just cut the crap already.

Are the students attending Camden and Newark not considered Rutgers Alums who may decide to attend a Rutgers football game in the future or attend a homecoming event.

Alums make up the largest proportion of fans attending home football games. How many student sections do you have at SHI compared to total attendance.

Would you agree that Rutgers has double the number of Alums as Pitt.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Are the students attending Camden and Newark not considered Rutgers Alums who may decide to attend a Rutgers football game in the future or attend a homecoming event.

Alums make up the largest proportion of fans attending home football games. How many student sections do you have at SHI compared to total attendance.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
As I said, not to me.

Do you consider those from Bradford, Greensburg, etc. in the mix?

Why are you now bringing Penn State into this discussion? They have nothing to do with this. You made assertions comparing Rutgers and Pitt attendance based on student enrollment (grossly inflated numbers) then you switched to alumni. And now you’re bringing Penn State into the debate.

Weird.

Bottom line.

Greater number of Students and Alums, the greater the potential for increased football attendance.

Rutgers has 2 times as many alums as Pitt and Penn State 3 times as many.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: RUGenius
Bottom line.

Greater number of Students and Alums, the greater the potential for increased football attendance.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
But that wasn’t your case until you were proven to be making up ridiculous enrollment numbers. Then you pivoted to alumni. Now that we have explained that Newark and Camden don’t really factor into attendance at “Rutgers New Brunswick” athletic events you have pivoted to Penn State.

Stay on topic. This is the RUTGERS board.

But that wasn’t your case until you were proven to be making up ridiculous enrollment numbers. Then you pivoted to alumni. Now that we have explained that Newark and Camden don’t really factor into attendance at “Rutgers New Brunswick” athletic events you have pivoted to Penn State.

Stay on topic. This is the RUTGERS board.

Rutgers has twice the number of students and Alums than Pitt.

Based on that fact should Rutgers home football attendance numbers be greater than Pitt.

End of discussion.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Reactions: RUGenius
Rutgers has twice the number of students and Alums than Pitt.

Based on that fact should Rutgers home football attendance numbers be greater than Pitt.

End of discussion.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
So you don’t deny making the numbers up and then switching the conversation

Cool story. Go tell it on the Pitt board.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Newark and Camden alums would attend Newark and Camden homecoming events.
These are fully functioning universities in their own right.
They have their own athletics as well.

Having said that, due to the higher profile athletics at RU New Brunswick, I hope we do draw a few Newark and Camden alums, students, and faculty to our football games. We should be encouraging that.

Back to the topic at hand...

Considering another thread on here, maybe Northwestern is going for a mini-Michie look?

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

They are alums of their own schools, not Rutgers New Brunswick. They are separate schools with their own athletic departments. Their alums of course are welcome to attend football games, just like anybody else.

Rutgers Newark is basically a national level school in its own right and is ranked above plenty of big SEC and Big 12 schools academically.

Reactions: NotInRHouse

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
You should just quit making things up. I guess Pitt doesn't teach researching or is it math that they don't teach? Penn State has 738,824‬ and Pitt has 411,190. Last time I checked that is not 3 times like you claim, it doesn't even double. Yes that number is including branch campuses. So why is Pitt attendance based on number of alumni so low?

5 year Average Attendance
Penn State:106,410 or 14.4% of alumni
Pitt 44,288 or 10.8% of alumni

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT