ADVERTISEMENT

one of the coolest Rutgers things I've ever seen on ebay

I have a break in case of emergency Rutgers key chain/condom from the 70s. It is part of my Rutgers collection.

Reactions: PeaceLove RU
Reactions: robcac26
The 2 jerseys Sold for $272 dollars.

wow, I really did that seller a favor posting here...they were at $65 this morning.....but that's what happens when you're selling something that is as cool as that.

I'd really be interested to see old Rutgers football jerseys photographed up close. Do they have them in the Hale Center?

wow, I really did that seller a favor posting here...they were at $65 this morning.....but that's what happens when you're selling something that is as cool as that.

I'd really be interested to see old Rutgers football jerseys photographed up close. Do they have them in the Hale Center?

I've never seen any during my visits & tours of the Hale Center

I've never seen any during my visits & tours of the Hale Center
Interesting. When I visited Purdue, they had examples of each era of uniforms on display on mannequins. It’s pretty cool to see authentic uniforms and padding up close.

Interesting. When I visited Purdue, they had examples of each era of uniforms on display on mannequins. It’s pretty cool to see authentic uniforms and padding up close.

I'd like to think that's the kind of thing we'll be able to do once The Hale Center is all-football again.

That is a great idea.
But it begs the questions.../.out of all the Rutgers die-hard fans and insiders here, is anyone aware of any RU uniforms that exIsts, either in someone’s collection or a university archive?

Safe to say there would have to be some re-creations of uniforms like that of 1869.

It’s interesting how many beautiful old uniforms made of durene (cotton/nylon mix) come up on eBay. They go for high prices too. Often there is no clue as to which team wore the jersys, so you’ll see some just show up in searches based on school colors. Mitchell and Ness originally made durene uniforms, now those are the rarest of the rare.

Last edited:
But it begs the questions.../.out of all the Rutgers die-hard fans and insiders here, is anyone aware of any RU uniforms that exIsts, either in someone’s collection or a university archive? Safe to say there would have to be some re-creations of uniforms like that of 1869..

The Special Collections department of Alexander Library on College Avenue in New Brunswick is open from 9a-5p on weekdays and 9a-1p on Saturdays. They have a Rutgers football jersey from the era of the first world war and a pullover football jersey circa 1890s. The department reference librarian should be able to locate them and show you upon request. The department is on the lower floor under ground level entrance. Walk in the main doors, bear left into a large room and look for the stairs about 10 feet away that walk you down into Special Collections. You can request to look at the jerseys, but you cannot leave the room with any materials.

And in 1869, only scarlet colored head kerchiefs (they called them turbans back then) were worn by the Rutgers players - the only part of a "uniform" -- they wore them so you could quickly identify your teammate during the playing of a game. They wore them like a modern "do-rag."

Wow, I used to collect hockey jerseys and never thought some jerseys from a college club team would go for that much! I have a handful of extra jerseys from my days on the Rutgers roller hockey team, wonder if there's any value in those haha.

Jewelry Pendant Ring Tops from Rutgers Victories in the 2009 St. Petersburg Bowl and the 2011 Pinstripe Bowl.

They were put up for $300 and then re-listed at $250 but no offers have been made.

Are these given out to the Rutgers players and/or coaching staff? Never saw these before.

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rutgers-Un...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Jewelry Pendant Ring Tops from Rutgers Victories in the 2009 St. Petersburg Bowl and the 2011 Pinstripe Bowl.

They were put up for $300 and then re-listed at $250 but no offers have been made.

Are these given out to the Rutgers players and/or coaching staff? Never saw these before.

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rutgers-University-Championship-Bowl-Champions-Ring-Top-Pendants-/122961841378?hash=item1ca118cce2:g:liYAAOSwe6Zadh45&nma=true&si=bUegU8ALC3PYwBIwuzVrZPOcfB0%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

they are given to the coach's wives.

My Rutgers possession that has always drawn the most interest is a Rutgers TD Club license plate holder. A great conversation starter here in southwest Florida where I am surrounded by Big Ten fans. The plate holder is very faded at this point. A great giveaway to Rutgers TD Club members in the days of yore, predating the days of Beefsteak LOI get-togethers.

Last edited:
My Rutgers possession that has always drawn the most interest is a Rutgers TD Club license plate holder, from many years ago. A great conversation starter here in southwest Florida where I am surrounded by Big Ten fans. The plate holder is very faded at this point. A great giveaway to TD Club members in the days of yore, before the days of Beefsteak LOI Day get-togethers.
I still have the small duffle bag they gave out way back when.

Still use it for quick trips to Naples via RSW.

Nice. Do the coaches get rings or other type of jewelry and does the head coach get something different from everyone else?

Coaches, players, trainers & some donors all get rings. Not sure if the HC ring is any different but I don't think so.

I’ve been looking myself. Nearly impossible

Not impossible. Just periodically check e-bay under "Arnold Friberg" and "football". They come up. But the question is, how much would you be willing to pay for one?

Also, there are copies of those 1969 Friberg prints that don't cost all that much. They look like the 1969 prints but were manufactured several years ago.

Like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RUTGERS-VS...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Last edited:
If you happen to have $500 just hangin' around doing nothing, you can put in an opening bid for this Hamilton watch given to players of the undefeated (9-0) 1961 Rutgers Scarlet Knights. Engraved on the back of this watch is "David S. Brody Halfback"

"Look at this. It's worthless. Ten dollars from a vendor in the street. But I take it, I bury it in the sand for a thousand years, it becomes priceless... Men will kill for it. Men like you and me."
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-RUTGE...m=263512282548&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507

If you happen to have $500 just hangin' around doing nothing, you can put in an opening bid for this Hamilton watch given to players of the undefeated (9-0) 1961 Rutgers Scarlet Knights. Engraved on the back of this watch is "David S. Brody Halfback"

"Look at this. It's worthless. Ten dollars from a vendor in the street. But I take it, I bury it in the sand for a thousand years, it becomes priceless... Men will kill for it. Men like you and me."
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-RUTGERS-SCARLET-KNIGHTS-FOOTBALL-PLAYERS-BOWL-WATCH-HAMILTON/263512282548?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20160727114228&meid=a134f510e1b248a5b226ac48432c37be&pid=100290&rk=1&rkt=4&sd=263512282548&itm=263512282548&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507

That's a perfect quote. I saw this on ebay and really wanted to be excited about it, but it just looks like such a crappy watch. I do like the face on it though.

As much as we love the Block R I wouldn't mind seeing this in the rotation with the updated/new Knighthead. But do not like gray facemasks.

I'm not enamored of the knights head logo. The problem with logos, images, drawings and objects on helmets is that they look so much better in still photos that when players are running around with them on the field. The TV just shows busy and blurry helmets. Not an outstanding look.

However, the block "R" is distinct, simple, and unmistakable whether at rest or in action.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT