ADVERTISEMENT

Oregon in talks with Big Ten in Chicago

ScarletDave

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Oct 7, 2010
According to Brett McMurohy - though, Warren nor the Oregon AD or Pres were there, so not sure if it was boosters/Phil Knight with some other Big Ten officials or what. Personally, I don’t like the idea of Oregon to the B1G. Seems short-sighted if they go through with it like BC and VT getting invited to the ACC. Oregon small TV market, low alumni count, horrible academics in B1G terms. Good at football and track & field while Knight’s money is there, but don’t bring much else.

Oregon is ranked 99 in the US News rankings and has been climbing considerably. Phil Knight has donated $1 billion to build a biomedical research facility in addition to the athletic donations. Steve Ballmers wife is a UO alum and they recently donated $500 million. We did a college tour at Oregon earlier this year and it’s a nice campus. If we’re going to argue academics I would say they are on par with Nebraska and will surpass them and they are an AAU school. Yes, it’s a small market but they have a national brand. Bring them in with Washington, Cal, and Stanford.

Oregon has a large fanbase, is very successful and probably has perfectly good academics. They would have to take Washington, too. There are 13 million people in the Pacific Northwest, more than Michigan, which has two teams. If the Big Ten is going to expand more westward they have to take Oregon.

Wasn't it McMurphy who "broke" the story that there was angreement for a 12 team college playoff starting next year??? 🤔

According to Brett McMurohy - though, Warren nor the Oregon AD or Pres were there, so not sure if it was boosters/Phil Knight with some other Big Ten officials or what. Personally, I don’t like the idea of Oregon to the B1G. Seems short-sighted if they go through with it like BC and VT getting invited to the ACC. Oregon small TV market, low alumni count, horrible academics in B1G terms. Good at football and track & field while Knight’s money is there, but don’t bring much else.

"Outgoing UO president Michael Schill, AD Rob Mullens & B1G commish Kevin Warren not involved in any discussions in Chicago, another source said". Isn't he (McMurphy) reporting something someone else said in the first sentence and then adding a disclaimer of sorts it the very next sentence? Go RU!

Wasn't it McMurphy who "broke" the story that there was angreement for a 12 team college playoff starting next year??? 🤔
I don't remember anyone reporting that and you know me being the pro CFP expansionist would've been happy to see it lol.

I think McMurphy is a pretty decent source. Dodd from CBS less so, even though I'll post tweets from him too.

I wouldn't read too much into this news though. I do think teams will be added from the west but the who and the when is harder to predict.

MHver3 forgets how the lesser conferences are raided by the big boys when a P-5 needs help.

I don't remember anyone reporting that and you know me being the pro CFP expansionist would've been happy to see it lol.

I think McMurphy is a pretty decent source. Dodd from CBS less so, even though I'll post tweets from him too.

I wouldn't read too much into this news though. I do think teams will be added from the west but the who and the when is harder to predict.
Posted on here by @kyk1827 June 11th last summer. Moved to the Round table. Both of them were terribly wrong.

I posted a SBJ article in the other thread that said only ND has a specific unknown figure Fox/NBC/CBS would pay related to their joining. So they have unique escalator but no other school is mentioned. For the others it would be the usual escalator clause where there would be good faith negotiations between the network and conference for any additions. That's what Bob Thompson has mentioned about how escalator clauses usually work.

If that's the case I don't think the B10 would add more than 1-2 teams within 2 years because it might be too much dilution beyond 2.

Thinking about it though with this news about Oregon and the B10 and possibly Phil Knight and another booster talking with the B10, how's this for an outside the box idea. He offers to subsidize Oregon's AD budget for the 7 years of the contract for whatever shortfall or maybe completely so there's no dilution to the B10 through this upcoming contract. By the time the next contract comes along they can share as a full member. I don't know how realistic that is but when you're worth 40B and passionate about the school who knows lol.

Above I said I think it's likely 1-2, now that we know the specific dollar figure escalator only relates to ND and not other schools.

But thinking about it, you could possibly rationalize 4 too if you open up another viewing window. Say for example, the 3 networks only give you 50-100M for the 4 schools, so not a lot. If you could get ESPN to pay 200M (not outlandish considering the 350M figures for CBS/NBC) for the after dark window then you'd have about 250-300M extra for those 4 schools. That works out to about 60-75M per school and that's enough to hold them over until the next deal and more than they would have gotten in the PAC.

I have to imagine that UO and UW are a package deal.
Have you ever been in a meeting where the other attendees start talking about you like you're not even there? I imagine that's what Washington State and Oregon State fans must feel like right now. Plus, as an RU fan, I always feel that there but for the grace of God I. We really are very fortunate to be having conversations like this from our point of view. GO RU!!

You know everyone, myself included, always pairs off the UW/Oregon or Cal/Stanford but if the number is 2 I could see UW/Stanford. One from each area who fit the B10 profile quite well academically and athletically.
The B1G's next four: Washington, Oregon, Stanford, and... Our Lady.

The B1G needs to bring in some western programs now that UCLA & USCw are joining, Oregon probably is one of the best the B1G can get and I wouldn't be surprised in Washington comes with them
On their own the Ducks aren't really a good get, but for west coast partners they make the LA programs traveling mush better
Oregon brings with them the Portland TV market which is rated #21
If Washington comes with them , they'll bring the Seattle-Tacoma market ranked #12

Reactions: RUTGERS95
The B1G's next four: Washington, Oregon, Stanford, and... Our Lady.
If ND comes, I think that's quite likely but is ND coming any time soon? It could be anywhere from soon to 14 years from now. The specific escalator is there for them though so the door is always open inside this 7 year deal.

If not now then I think the B10 still needs to add schools from the west in the mean time to help alleviate some geographic concerns of USC/UCLA. It just might be 2 instead of 3 or 4.

But I did give a scenario where you could possibly add 4 even without ND. A negligible bump from the 3 partner networks for the 4 schools and a smaller deal with ESPN for an after dark window might be enough to subsidize them at a reduced share until the next tv deal in 2030.

Personally I would like Colorado. Not sure why they aren’t be talked about more to the B1G. A good bridge to USC/UCLA and a great town - Boulder right up there with any B1G college town. Just outside Denver so another new market. Lots of alumni and state pride. Have a good football history. Beautiful campus. Fun away game trip. Good academics. I would snap them up before I’d think about Oregon or Cal

Oregon is not really an attractive team for this conference.

Cal , Stanford, ND or Washington
Yes - SF Bay & Seattle >>> Portland

Market size
SF #6 - 2.6 Mill
Seattle #12 - 2 million

Portland #25 just over a million homes

Yes - SF Bay & Seattle >>> Portland

Market size
SF #6 - 2.6 Mill
Seattle #12 - 2 million

Portland #25 just over a million homes
Oregon isn’t just about the market though. They are a recognized brand nationally so although market is significantly smaller than Bay Area or even Seattle, athletically they are more of a draw outside their market than Cal or Stanford. Would still like to see all 4 added.

Reactions: PSU_Nut
I see 2 more this shot then I think the Big looks south

ND window closing

ND window never closes, unfortunately. At any point they could join whatever conference they want and they know it. Nobody would turn them down.

• Sad
Reactions: runrutgersrun
ND window never closes, unfortunately. At any point they could join whatever conference they want and they know it. Nobody would turn them down.
disagree as the numbers need to support addition. Not to mention the scheduling

I wouldn't touch Oregon with a 10 foot pole. I'm not even sure they are in the Top 15 of most attractive schools that are available (not already in the Big 10 or SEC).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT