ADVERTISEMENT

OSU AD Smith and Thad Matta Press Conference at 2 PM

If they get Donovan it makes sense. If not timing is just silly and a really bad move to a coach that has been really successful.

That would be some hire. A Grand Slam. OKC is not going anywhere, so maybe this is possible.

Some said they wanted to wait until Donovan's team was eliminated in the NBA playoffs.
Billy Donovan and Urban Meyer at the same school again? If that happens I'll SERIOUSLY have to consider selling my Florida home and moving to C-Bus.

I think tOSU reaches out but I doubt Donovan-to-tOSU happens though. Billy has a great relationship with OKC ownership and last I was told he does not miss recruiting one...single...bit. Plus I think his wife just permanently moved to OKC. She'd probably kill him if he brought up the tOSU job.

Last edited:
Ironic thing is it was reported that Archie Miller's dream job was Ohio State. Oh well, he ended up somewhere decent...:)

Creighton plays a fun style and shoots lots of threes but he is not known as a good in-game coach.

McDermott is known for being thin skinned. He was the HC at Iowa State and could not win more than 15 games in any season.

The tOSU message board is on :fire: right now. Some are suggesting that the AD should be fired if this is the hire.

McDermott being offered is a head scratcher considering his W-L record was 59-44 for the last 3 years.
I could see him being considered if he kept Creighton close to the way it looked from 2011-12 to the 2013-14 seasons.

McDermott turned the job down.
That surprises me, but also makes it look like the OSU HC position might not be the plum job I thought it was .
I'm very intreasted in hearing what those who know College MBB ,far better than me, have to say about him turning it dawn and the state of the Buckeye MBB program as it stands compared to other B1G MBB programs in terms of desirability for prospective Head Coaches

The tOSU job is a really good job, definitely a top 20 job maybe top 15.

I don't think McDermott is a good fit there, too thin skinned and not that great of a recruiter. Really odd choice to offer the job too.

I'm not saying they would have landed Archie Miller had they fired Matta right after their season ended but at the least IU would have paid more to get him.

Makes the firing look weirder and weirder. Like Pitt firing Wanny and Cuse firing Pasquoloni. Set program behind forever.

Unlikely, they would have fired him the next morning.

A year ago four players transferred out of the Buckeye basketball program. JaQuan Lyle quit the team in April. Recruiting is not going well. I can't think of a 2018 kid tOSU leads for. It was bad in Columbus.

Meanwhile some programs were telling recruits that Matta was dying. That’s a new level of negative recruiting.

Tough series of events

Coach of Butler? While he's a decent coach I thought they would get better. Firing is odd. Think AD screwed up.

Doesn't seem to have been their first choice. Not wowed. Timing is so odd. Sorry lots of red flags.

Doesn't seem to have been their first choice. Not wowed. Timing is so odd. Sorry lots of red flags.
I agree, the timing of all this is odd. Despite that, OSU hired the guy they wanted in less than a week.

According to reports OSU approached Holtmann, he said no & OSU moved to McDermott. He passed and OSU went back to Holtmann.

Last season one school had two wins over Villanova (once as the No. 1 team in the nation and once as the No. 2 team in the nation) and also had wins against Arizona, Indiana, Cincinnati and Xavier.

That school was Butler.

Butler would also get two wins in the NCAA Tourney to advance to the Sweet Sixteen before ultimately falling to North Carolina.

Only 13 schools have won at least one NCAA Tournament game in the last three years...Butler is one of them.

Holtmann took over a woeful Gardner Webb program and went from 11 wins to 21 wins in three seasons. Gardner Webb has not won 21 games since he left.

Holtmann has experience recruiting the B1G footprint including Ohio.

Butler's 2017 class is four-star SF Christian David (No. 88), four-star SF Kyle Young (No. 109), SG Cooper Neese & SF Jerald Butler.
Young is from Ohio and had an offer from OSU.

I've been on the OSU board. In less than 24 hours they went from wanting to set their AD on fire to heaping praise on him. The Buck Nuts are pretty happy, as they should be, about this hire.

H's better than decent
I considered Holtmann one of the top choices OSU could make and was confused why the OSU AD thought McDermott was a better choice.
But after seeing what Russ W said, understand why now

Chris Holtmann was a very good student in my class when he was an undergrad at Taylor University. In fact, he just gave the commencement address at Taylor a few weeks ago, and did a great job with that, too. (Goes from 1.3 mil at Butler to 3.0 at OSU, though he was quite happy at Butler.)

Chris Holtmann was a very good student in my class when he was an undergrad at Taylor University. In fact, he just gave the commencement address at Taylor a few weeks ago, and did a great job with that, too. (Goes from 1.3 mil at Butler to 3.0 at OSU, though he was quite happy at Butler.)

You were his professor at Taylor?

You were his professor at Taylor?
Yes. Chris took a political science class from me as an elective, and his future wife served on a couple of committees with me later on, when he served as an assistant coach at Taylor--his first step. (I was not his advisor or anything like that, but Taylor is a small place and I did have a very good impression of him. The guy who was the head coach, Paul Patterson, was well enough thought of in B-Ball circles that Kentucky coach Joe B. Hall asked him to be an assistant coach, but he decided to stay at Taylor.)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT