ADVERTISEMENT

OT- 2015 Major Golf Championship Locations

Abro1975

Hall of Famer
Nov 21, 2009
Besides Whitebus, I figure there are probably a few other Golf fans here

April 9-12 (4 weeks away): The Masters, Augusta , Ga.

June 18-21 The US Open, Chambers Bay, State of Washington

July 16-19 The OPEN Championship St. Andrews, Scotland

Aug 13-16 The PGA Championship , Whistling Straights, Kohler, Wisconsin
This post was edited on 3/14 3:35 PM by Abro1975

Played Chambers Bay two years ago. Great course with incredible views. Should be quite a tournament there.

Not too familiar with Chambers Bay. Is this the first time it's hosting a major?

Played Whistling Straights a couple of years ago. IMO it is one of those man-made made for TV type of courses. When you hear how many thousands of tons of soil they had to bring in to give it hills, it takes away from the place. Played WS and Plainfield CC in back-to-back weeks - no comparison give me Plainfield any day of the week.

The Barclays is at Plainfield CC this year (end of August), I volunteered to work the Barclays last year at Ridgewood (I did the Shot Link measuring distance of shots), and just got the email asking if I wanted to Volunteer again for Plainfield CC. I haven't decided yet.. Here is the website for Chambers Bay.
Originally posted by Beancounter88:
Played Whistling Straights a couple of years ago. IMO it is one of those man-made made for TV type of courses. When you hear how many thousands of tons of soil they had to bring in to give it hills, it takes away from the place. Played WS and Plainfield CC in back-to-back weeks - no comparison give me Plainfield any day of the week.

This post was edited on 3/14 6:15 PM by Abro1975

LINK

Originally posted by Beancounter88:
Also loved playing Whistling Straits and Irish Straits a few years ago. There's a relatively new course in Central FL called Streamsong that is equal to or better than WS. Hope to be playing it soon.

Streamsong

Played Streamsong red and blue last year. Well worth it. It's made from an old phosphate mine. Cheaper to make a resort and use the mounds etc than restore the land. WS is like downtown Manhatten compared to this place.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

OT of the OT original post

I was one of a few hundred people who shared an experience with Jack Nicklaus
last night. We were both at the same concert in Atlantic City.
He and Barbara were at the Marie Osmond show.

Originally posted by RU85inFla:
Played Streamsong red and blue last year. Well worth it. It's made from an old phosphate mine. Cheaper to make a resort and use the mounds etc than restore the land. WS is like downtown Manhatten compared to this place.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
What are your thoughts on the courses ? Did you walk, ride or take a caddie ? Is a caddie important to learn the courses ?

I checked out the lodge, gym and spa. Looks very high end although there was nobody there when I went on a Saturday morning.

driving there was like driving in the middle of nowhere for 50 miles. I'm definitely going back there to play. Rated among the top public golf courses in the country.

Originally posted by Abro1975:
Besides Whitebus, I figure there are probably a few other Golf fans here

April 9-12 (4 weeks away): The Masters, Augusta , Ga.

June 18-21 The US Open, Chambers Bay, State of Washington

July 16-19 The OPEN Championship St. Andrews, Scotland

Aug 13-16 The PGA Championship , Whistling Straights, Kohler, Wisconsin

This post was edited on 3/14 3:35 PM by Abro1975
Sadly I have never played any of them and even worse is that for the first time in about 15 years I will not be attending a major this year.

I have never been to the Masters and have entered their ticket lottery every without any luck. One of these years I will have to bite the bullet and shell out big bucks and scalp one.

WhiteBus,

It's tough to get selected in the lottery for Masters tix. Best bet may be to buy tix for a practice round M,T or Wed before the tournament. Same great atmosphere and experience. Practice round tix are very economical and accommodations in Columbia, SC are cheap and only a little over an hour ride to Augusta.

We had Wed practice round tix in 2010. That's the day of the Par 3 tournament.

Originally posted by Knightmoves:
WhiteBus,

It's tough to get selected in the lottery for Masters tix. Best bet may be to buy tix for a practice round M,T or Wed before the tournament. Same great atmosphere and experience. Practice round tix are very economical and accommodations in Columbia, SC are cheap and only a little over an hour ride to Augusta.

We had Wed practice round tix in 2010. That's the day of the Par 3 tournament.

I would love to buy even the Wed ticket but they are $1000 on ebay and stubhub

I'd go for a Tues ticket instead. The Par 3 tourney is a bit of a waste IMO. You want to see the players on the big course not the little par 3 course.

Watch the price of tickets plunge if Tiger decides not to play.

He backed out of Arnies Tournament so I doubt he's playing in the Masters

Played Streamsong shortly after it opened, Played red because we didnt have tme to get in both. It was pretty spectacular, we took a cart and had a forecaddie, even though we didnt want one. A good friend is a rater for golf week so I think they wanted someone with us to answer any of his questions etc.

Also played Chambers Bay in Nov. 2013. An amazing course. Was part of an epic golf trip that started with 3 days at Bandon Dunes in Oregon (if you ever get the chance to go there DO IT!). The worst part is the close to 8 hour drive from Bandon to Chambers Bay. After the round at Chambers we were heading to the airport, only problem no locker rooms, so had to change in a bathroom stall. I am guessing they will bring in trailers for the pros. There are going to be some holes at Chambers Bay that are going to pretty tough. There's a down hill par 3 (#15) that if the players dont keep the ball down as much as possible the wind will make things very interesting.

Looking forward to the US Open there. Anyone know if its difficult to get tickets to the Barclays? Would love to see a round and walk Plainfield too.

Went to the Masters in 2010 with one of my vendors it was awesome. You will never see a course like that anywhere. Just how meticulously they take care if that place. They flew us in Thurs to Augusta airport you get to see all the gilders private jets lining the runways. Stayed at a Jack Nicholas course community in Aiken SC just over the boarder ate lunch at their clubhouse played golf, had dinner by some mobile hired chef from down south who is huge down there. Friday went to offsite corporate entertainment site. The Magnolia Club. That place was awesome all u can eat it drink all day $275 a head then went to the masters a couple blocks away. The end f the day went to the magnolia club again for drinks and food then headed back to the airport for flight back. If you have the money and love golf it is worth it one day I'll make a trip back there on my dine

Originally posted by Knightmoves:
What are your thoughts on the courses ? Did you walk, ride or take a caddie ? Is a caddie important to learn the courses ?

I checked out the lodge, gym and spa. Looks very high end although there was nobody there when I went on a Saturday morning.

driving there was like driving in the middle of nowhere for 50 miles. I'm definitely going back there to play. Rated among the top public golf courses in the country.
Out of the list here I have played WS and theses courses definitely compare very favorably. I highly recommend. I arranged a group of 12. We played both courses before the hotel was built. Some guys stayed in the rooms above the pro shop and the rest stayed in Lakeland. The guys that stayed on property said the rooms an resturant were fantastic. The guys that went back to Lakeland we're glad they did because the Streamsong rooms were a fortune.

We played in early September so we rode and took fore caddies. A caddie of some sort is required I believe. What I found amazing about both courses was the wide differentiation of holes. We had an 89 yd. par 3 on the Red course that not one guy par'ed and we had an average handicap of about 12. There is also a 245 yd par 3 up hill. I found the views so deceiving. You would look out over a trap that looked like it was 180 yd carry and it was 300 yds away. Definitely recommend.

At last year's Barclays at Ridgewood CC (NJ) tickets were available everyday, could walk right up and buy them, I'd imagine would be the same at Plainfield.

PS- I'm watching Big 10 Match play Golf right now on BTN, Michigan about to beat Iowa to face Illinois in the finals.

Originally posted by NJbound:
Played Chambers Bay two years ago. Great course with incredible views. Should be quite a tournament there.
Looking at the scorecard I can see a hole or two where the USGA will dare the players to try to drive the green especially on Sunday. #16 because of it's place in the scorecard jumps out.

unless playing in Scotland or Ireland, i have no desire to play a links course.

and don't think they show well on tv either.

are the US Open and PGA venues basically up for bid or what?

with all the great courses in the US, these seem like very bizarre choices, especially in the same yr.

nary a tree on the US Open or PGA venues. (and the Old Course isn't exactly carved out of a forest, but it is obviously chosen for a different reason).

the US Senior Open course is also a bit bizarre imo, though that's perhaps a separate discussion. also a course with literally not one tree, in an area that's basically nothing but forest.

it's like they literally clear cut the land they put the course on, out of the surrounding forest.

bizarre..

seems like mature trees are becoming very unwelcome on the newer courses.

and nothing benefits a course like mature trees.

there are some damn good US links courses. National Golf Links of America comes immediately to mind. And 3 of the 4 courses at Bandon Dunes are very strong links courses as well..

Think Chambers Bay is going to show very well this year...We'll find out in a couple of months I guess.

I played Chambers Bay when I went out to the Rutgers vs. Washington St. game in Seattle. It was a great experience with unforgettable views of Puget Sound. There is only one cut of grass from tee to green. The only way to know if on the green (and thus allowed to mark your ball) is if inside the sprinkler heads. No carts are allowed and it is very hilly. I do not think TV will do it justice with the amount of elevation changes. Under strong encouragement, I used a caddy (who with my ok, actually used a push cart for my clubs). He caddie there when the US Amateur was played there and was in the semi-final. The advise I received was worth every penny and then some. I would never have been able to visualize the putting lines he gave me. The best story I can share was when I was about 60 yards off a green. As I walk to my ball, I am thinking half sand wedge, but when I get to my ball, my caddie has my putter out and simply said, trust me. So I hit a 60 yard putt for the first time in my life. Great round and I look forward to watching the pros play it in June.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT