ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2022 NY Giants Season & Post Season Game Thread

OK, so who will be the free agents the Giants will have to resign for 2023?

Saquan and Jonesy for sure. I would imagine they'll let Shepard and Slayton walk. They'll need to make decisions about Gates and Feliciano on the o-line and Love in the secondary.
I don’t know about slayton . He comes cheap and is good value.
They tried to get rid of him last year. He has 9 lives

I don’t know about slayton . He comes cheap and is good value.
They tried to get rid of him last year. He has 9 lives
Yeah, that's a good point, but he's an FA now coming off league minimum. If nobody makes him an offer, I suppose they could bring him back, but I don't think they'll fall all over themselves trying to outbid anyone.

Saquan and Jonesy for sure. I would imagine they'll let Shepard and Slayton walk. They'll need to make decisions about Gates and Feliciano on the o-line and Love in the secondary.
Will they be able to sign both or only one?
Which would you sign for sure?

I'd be surprised if the current Giants brain trust invest more money in Barkley as the modern thinking is that you can get RB production from anywhere. Jones is interesting , I wouldn't be surprised if they think this season was more good coaching from Daboll than Jones being great and try to get a QB elsewhere.

Will they be able to sign both or only one?
Which would you sign for sure?
Second most in cap space next year from worst in cap space last year. They had no choice but to sacrifice this year to make up for Gettleman's misses and horrible contracts. Guy sacrificed the entire organizations future to try and save his ass. This season was a big surprise, most had us at best case scenario of 6 wins.

Last edited:
I'd be surprised if the current Giants brain trust invest more money in Barkley as the modern thinking is that you can get RB production from anywhere. Jones is interesting , I wouldn't be surprised if they think this season was more good coaching from Daboll than Jones being great and try to get a QB elsewhere.

Lose both and you've thrown next season and possibly 2024 away. No f****** way

Reactions: koleszar
Lose both and you've thrown next season and possibly 2024 away. No f****** way
Not really. Think you can do better than Jones at QB. And while Barkley is a great talent you can get 90% of his production at 50% of his price.

Second most in cap space next year from worst in cap space last year. They had no choice but to sacrifice this year to make up for Gettleman's misses and horrible contracts. Guy sacrificed the entire organizations future to try and save his ass. This season was a big surprise, most had us at best case scenario of 6 wins.
And they'll have $17mm more when they release Golladay. Guy played 4 snaps last week; he's a goner for sure.

Reactions: koleszar
The Giants brought a surprising amount of joy to my life this season (as did the Jets - for most of the year before the lawn dart routine). There is a lot to be hopeful for heading to next season.

I guess we can all be 49ers fans for a day - Fat ex-guvs excepted.

Offer both contracts. If they don’t sign

Franchise Bartley because RB salaries will not break the bank

Jones set a value that is not top tier but enough for him to decide not look to free agency

5 years 150 to 155

Reactions: RU-05
Who would you guys rather have back Jones or Barkley? For me it's Jones 100%, I like Barkley but dont think the position is as important as it once was in todays NFL. Barkley seems like a great teammate and person on and off the field. Look at last nights game for example Barkley has more talent then the eagles RB's and they were killing us with the run. No clue what will happen but Barkley definitely seems like he wants to be back and just wants a fair deal. We shall see.

Reactions: tom1944
Who would you guys rather have back Jones or Barkley? For me it's Jones 100%, I like Barkley but dont think the position is as important as it once was in todays NFL. Barkley seems like a great teammate and person on and off the field. Look at last nights game for example Barkley has more talent then the eagles RB's and they were killing us with the run. No clue what will happen but Barkley definitely seems like he wants to be back and just wants a fair deal. We shall see.
Cmon of course jones is the answer to your question

You cannot franchise Jones because the QB salary is too high

RB salaries do not cause as large an issue

You cannot franchise Jones because the QB salary is too high

RB salaries do not cause as large an issue

Too high?
Any contract negotiations are going to start at approx $30m/year - the franchise amount.
No way he signs with the Giants for less than that. Why would he?

I could see a scenario where the Giants play hard ball and franchise Jones and make him play next year on it if they aren't totally 100% on giving him $200m.
Similar to Kirk Counsins in Washington.

After the results of the Murray and Watson huge contracts, will teams finally be gun shy for huge long term QB contracts?

Will be interesting off season for Jones and Lamar (produced results but injuried to end last two seasons).

Too high?
Any contract negotiations are going to start at approx $30m/year - the franchise amount.
No way he signs with the Giants for less than that. Why would he?

I could see a scenario where the Giants play hard ball and franchise Jones and make him play next year on it if they aren't totally 100% on giving him $200m.
Similar to Kirk Counsins in Washington.

After the results of the Murray and Watson huge contracts, will teams finally be gun shy for huge long term QB contracts?

Will be interesting off season for Jones and Lamar (produced results but injuried to end last two seasons).
Franchise tag for QB projects to be $45 mil.

I want Jones back, but can't be paying him that kind of money.

So what's the deal with Leonard Williams? Very underwhelming season. How much did injury play into that? How much is he due to make next year?

Franchise tag for QB projects to be $45 mil.

I want Jones back, but can't be paying him that kind of money.

Non-Exclusive tag for QB is projected to be $32.45M. It will allow other teams to negotiate and still try to sign Jones, but will cost any team 2 first round picks if they do sign him.

Non-Exclusive tag for QB is projected to be $32.45M. It will allow other teams to negotiate and still try to sign Jones, but will cost any team 2 first round picks if they do sign him.
At that price I'd just look to sign him to a 3-5 year deal. Obviously he would need to accept that, but the non exclusive seems off putting. Are they then also drafting a QB to really highlight their unwillingness to commit?

They were reluctant to commit to Jones this past offseason, and I thought that move made sense, but in a prove it season, Jones did, to some extent at least. Are they then going to say, "prove it again"?

Of course maybe they really don't want to commit to Jones, or maybe Jones wants to prove he's a $40 mil player? But I'm hoping both sides find that middle ground.

Reactions: Plum Street
I really wonder if the bottom is going to fall out for QB contracts.

Or say - the distinction between the elite and very good grows.

Burrow is going to get a huge contract and deserves it.
Mahomes got it.
Hurts and Herbert appear on the track but still haven't fully earned it probably.

But look at Kyler Murray's huge contract. Prescott, Watson.
Lamar and Jones upcoming.
Tannehill making big money.
Josh Allen hasn't been elite this year - especially in playoffs.

There does seem to be line between "Deep playoff, super bowl QB" and "very good, compete for playoffs".

I wonder if the 2nd group doesn't just get to automatically reset the QB market like prior QBs have.

ADVERTISEMENT