ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2022 NY Giants Season & Post Season Game Thread

Better cap management would have kept Bradberry on the team. He's lighting things up in Philly.

Better cap management would have kept Bradberry on the team. He's lighting things up in Philly.

Better cap management by who? Gettleman caused the cap mess and made it next to impossible for the next front office to retain Bradberry. 5-1 is incredible......given how little talent is on this team.

Better cap management by who? Gettleman caused the cap mess and made it next to impossible for the next front office to retain Bradberry. 5-1 is incredible......given how little talent is on this team.

It looks like this was a good draft class, so there is a little more talent than you think. And that's with the Cincy LB on IR.

Isn't a lot cap money coming off next year?
I think so. This year they only had $14.6 mil. to work with, which is basically just enough to sign the rookies with a mil. or two left. And that's after cut's they needed to find room, Gettleman left them nothing. Next year they're projected to have $54.4 mil.. before cuts.

So, they go from least amount of cap space to 4th most. Golladay is the real Albatross Gettleman left. It'll go down as one of the worst free agents signing ever and accounts for over 10% of the cap.

Last edited:
Franchise Barkley, and sign Jones for 2-3 years at 25 mil a year
I don't think that's a good idea nor what they'll do.

Assuming things play out like they have, I think Barkley will be resigned and they move on from Jones.

Assuming things play out like they have, I think Barkley will be resigned and they move on from Jones.
It is funny- before the year- I was hearing some media people saying the Giants would be well off if Barkley plays like Barkley and Giants are not that good- that they would be best off trying to move him to a contender for a couple draft picks.

The interesting thing will be, what is the alternative?

If the Giants have a pick worse than 20, which is possible currently, the opportunity to trade up for a new QB will be minimal. The other potential options are Jimmy G, Wentz, Cousins (maybe), Bridgewater/Trubisky types. If Jones continues to play game manager well this year, would make a ton of sense to give him a couple years at a decent clip. Get him a couple reliable #2/3 type receivers like Tyler Boyd or Brandon Cooks and go from there.

Barkley being franchised makes a ton of sense because they will likely not get a comp pick back for him this year. They have a ton of cap space, and will be signing a lot of guys. It would be a 1 year commitment at a higher $ value. He’s shown this year he can still play, but injuries are a big red flag.

I think they're seeing what we're seeing. He has nobody to throw to and he's scrambling for his life more times than not. If he keeps playing like he is with not much of a supporting cast in the pass game, I think they sign him.

Reactions: Purple-Ed
The interesting thing will be, what is the alternative?

If the Giants have a pick worse than 20, which is possible currently, the opportunity to trade up for a new QB will be minimal. The other potential options are Jimmy G, Wentz, Cousins (maybe), Bridgewater/Trubisky types. If Jones continues to play game manager well this year, would make a ton of sense to give him a couple years at a decent clip. Get him a couple reliable #2/3 type receivers like Tyler Boyd or Brandon Cooks and go from there.

Barkley being franchised makes a ton of sense because they will likely not get a comp pick back for him this year. They have a ton of cap space, and will be signing a lot of guys. It would be a 1 year commitment at a higher $ value. He’s shown this year he can still play, but injuries are a big red flag.
I think this approach makes the most sense. It's funny, but as an Eagles fan, I generally don't like the Giants, but I have been reading a lot of stories and following the offseason since Dabol and Schoen arrived. I actually like watching this team and really admire what the two of them have done in such a short time. Also, living in this market, it's always better or more interesting when the local teams are good. I know the sports talk radio hosts appreciate it.

I think they're seeing what we're seeing. He has nobody to throw to and he's scrambling for his life more times than not. If he keeps playing like he is with not much of a supporting cast in the pass game, I think they sign him.

Say the Giants finish 10-7, 11-6 their 1st rd. pick will be in the 15-18 range and would obviously be lower if they do better. The top QBs will be gone and do you REALLY want to mortgage the future with this interior OL with a trade up? Jones may not be a Top 5 QB but he could be 8-15 (though some here will NEVER rate him higher than 32-35) with decent protection and receivers. I'd keep them both and go for the top G or C in the draft unless TE Michael Meyer from ND slips to them. If that happens go interior OL in the 2nd and maybe the 3rd. Another LB is also a need.

Reactions: koleszar
Say the Giants finish 10-7, 11-6 their 1st rd. pick will be in the 15-18 range and would obviously be lower if they do better. The top QBs will be gone and do you REALLY want to mortgage the future with this interior OL with a trade up? Jones may not be a Top 5 QB but he could be 8-15 (though some here will NEVER rate him higher than 32-35) with decent protection and receivers. I'd keep them both and go for the top G or C in the draft unless TE Michael Meyer from ND slips to them. If that happens go interior OL in the 2nd and maybe the 3rd. Another LB is also a need.
If given the choice- in your case- I would keep Jones but would not give a player friendly contract to SB. Just too risky and there are always RB's out there.
I would go all out with holes in the OL with the next draft.

These receivers are simply bad, he's hitting them in the chest and they're dropping them. 3 to 4 dropped balls already in the 1st half. Jones is really dealing with some bottom of the barrel talent in the passing game.

Giants receivers have butterfingers so far today. Hoping we land a solid #1 WR at the trade deadline.
I'm wary about trading draft capital for a #1 who will likely bring a big cap hit (if not now, then in the near future) and would have to be worked into the offense while expecting #1 targets.

I'd target a solid #2, and then look for a #1 in the draft.

Highly doubt he'd still be on the board but that kid from Tennessee? Yeah, a guy like that.

Reactions: ClassOf02
Bellanger now out too after a poke to the eye, it appears.

Jones with a great back shoulder throw to Slayton, dropped.

Well, there goes half the offensive line.
I don't know why NFL guys aren't made to wear the braces the cfb players wear .
Those are to help prevent roll-ups and such.
The players behind OL and more dangerous than those in front

Marcus Johnson stinks
He's a practice squad player only elevated because of injuries
I'm surprised he was the target given the game he's been (not) having

Reactions: Postman_1
Stays in bounds to bring the clock to the 2 minute warning
His run with about 3:30 on the clock he went out of bounds and I wanted him to cut inside and go down

If he did and this is not reversed game would be over

His run with about 3:30 on the clock he went out of bounds and I wanted him to cut inside and go down

If he did and this is not reversed game would be over
He did it twice on this drive. Nope, scratch that. 3 times.

Reactions: RU-05
ADVERTISEMENT