ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 401k advice

Originally posted by beaced:
Take a look at the Sectorsurfer web site.There is a lot of reading there .They offer member's Hall of Fame Strategies that another member may copy and use. But there is so much more than just that,so reading it all is getting a very strong education about your investing needs.My Daughter hes been using this very reasonable,cost wise, site for a couple of years and using a Roth Ira has seen gains in the 25-35% range. Basically ,after you select a strategy they suggest that you switch to a different holding in your strategy when your current holding does not lead others in your strategy as the trend leader.It is really a very simple concept but you have to read the site's material to get a good idea of the concept. Good luck in whatever you do.
Thanks, I will definitely take a look at this site.

Originally posted by jakeknight:

A few points, I would roll your 401k over to a self directed IRA or and existing IRA if you are happy with the flexibility that exists in the existing IRA, no reason to pay the tax nut upfront to go to a Roth, basically if you roll to an IRA at age 30 you have 40 years of untaxed growth before the gov't makes begin the RMD process. I get a little nervous when people start to take over other people I got my money out the door of the old company as soon as I could. The mechanics of a roll are pretty simple, you can have your 401k check made out to you and then deposit it within 30 days into an IRA (and avoid the tax man) Or you can have the transfer check made out to the fund you are moving it to (for the benefit of [your name]), you probably need to validate the process through your current 401k admin. Relative to fund allocation, what you suggest will work although you might want to take a smaller position in US large cap and a larger position in European large cap as they have embraced a quantitative easing type program much like what the Fed did in the US coming out of the recession. In either case stay in Index and or ETF instruments to capture a broader exposure to the various sectors you want to be in, especially if you are not prone to want to manage your portfolio.
Thanks, very good info. I'm going to stick with ETFs and indexes, mainly from Vanguard. But I'm leaning towards signing up with a 3rd party online broker instead of Vanguard directly, just so my future choices are not limited.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT