ADVERTISEMENT

OT: All season tires

I said ‘does the job’. I have never lost traction on wet roads in decades of driving on cheaper tires. Braking distance too. All tires are perfectly safe if driving as the conditions allow. Go ahead and put your Pirellis on your Beemers thinking you’re impressing people but the bad weather handling differences are minimal

All tires are tested for wet stopping distance.

From 60 - 0, the difference between the best tires and the worst can be upwards of 30 feet. All tires are not created equal.

Reactions: jtung230
I've had great success with Michelin high performance tires. Both in terms of longevity and grip. Much more so than with similar Pirelli tires.

But that's on sports cars. Could be a different story with sedans or SUVs.
My experience with the Michelin’s was on sedans. Was so disappointed with them since they are sold as the best. Interesting is that I rarely see them on new cars/SUV’s lately. I’ve had good success with Hankook and Kumho tires as well on our current all wheel drive SUVs.

My experience with the Michelin’s was on sedans. Was so disappointed with them since they are sold as the best. Interesting is that I rarely see them on new cars/SUV’s lately. I’ve had good success with Hankook and Kumho tires as well on our current all wheel drive SUVs.

There was a set of Kumho Ecstas on my A3 when I traded it. They were very good tires, at least on that car.

The size of the tire makes a big difference. Think 18” is best for snow or rain. But people prefer the look of 20 or 22”.

When I first met my wife she had a Toyota Corolla with skinny tires. That thing drove through anything. I used to take that to work on snowy days and it would just be me and the SUVs on the road at the time. It sure beat my 8 cyl Mustang at the time. I think it sat idle for over a month that winter of 93-94.

Width and diameter aren't the same.

I think I get what you're getting at - that to maintain the same rolling circumference for any given wheel & tire, the wheel size would have to decrease as tread width decreases, so as to maintain aspect ratio. But that's purely a mathematics lens - it's also important to understand that if you decrease tread width then you have to increase tire pressure and the ride quality will suffer, as will dry road braking distance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT