ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Altice One?

InGregITrust

Junior
Gold Member
Sep 29, 2004
Can someone explain Altice One as it relates to Optimum? I have a traditional triple play type package and I get postcards re: Altice One. The website seems a little confusing - it's a boutique package within Cablevision? Thanks in advance.

There is no such company as Cablevision. They were bought by Altice several years ago.

I don't think Altice One is a service provided by Altice. I think it is a device that combines your TV cable box, modem, and router into a single device.

I believe it's altice formerly optimum version of comcasts x-1. Like upstream said it's sort of a hub for all the aspects to run through and is an updated platform. I believe you might need to get new equipment if upgrading to that from your regular box. There is voice command through the remote so you can say things like "watch Rutgers" and it will take you there or to all the options related to Rutgers.

Reactions: InGregITrust
I have Altice. Really like it. Wi-fi is a lot better and you never have to reset a router again.

is Altice 1 more expensive for the deivce rentals vs the cable boxes issued prior to its release?

Just curious since sometimes they have the updated device and the per TV rental fee goes up a dollar or 2

One thing to consider is that all of your TVs must be smart TVs in order to use it.

That's not true. We got Altice to replace our old boxes/remotes, 2 weeks ago, when we flipped to Fios for 2 weeks (hated the bad internet coverage throughout our house) . Altice /Cablevision talked us into going back with a nice discount and getting all new Altice boxes . Only 1 of our TVs is a 'smart ' tv. Other 4 are regular Vizios. The Atlice remotes do have voice activation,dvr and a separate Netflix button which is a nice feature. You can also use the Altice phone App as a remote. The remotes need to be paired with the boxes ( each box has a separate signal extender which is nice) . The install guy paired them for us.

More info/review :

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/altice-one-crams-modem-router-streaming-together/

PS- If you are now month to month with Cablevision, you can probably tell them you are switching to another provider, and get them to reduce the price And bring the new Altice equipment and install it.

Last edited:
That's not true. We got Altice to replace our old boxes/remotes, 2 weeks ago, when we flipped to Fios for 2 weeks (hated the bad internet coverage throughout our house) . Altice /Cablevision talked us into going back with a nice discount and getting all new Altice boxes . Only 1 of our TVs is a 'smart ' tv. Other 4 are regular Vizios. The Atlice remotes do have voice activation,dvr and a separate Netflix button which is a nice feature. You can also use the Altice phone App as a remote. The remotes need to be paired with the boxes ( each box has a separate signal extender which is nice) . The install guy paired them for us.

More info/review :

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/altice-one-crams-modem-router-streaming-together/
That's what I was told when I called about this last month. Guess I am going to have to call them again.

That's what I was told when I called about this last month. Guess I am going to have to call them again.

From the linked article/review above:

The Altice One seemingly adds “smart” connectivity to your TV sporting the interactive Altice One v1.0 operating system. With this device, you can scroll through the Optimum TV guide, find a missed TV show on demand or record shows to be stored in the cloud, and install popular apps from a growling list. Thus, with this device, you don’t need a Smart TV, console, or set-top box to stream Stranger Things.

IMO, ONCE THE REMOTE IS PAIRED WITH THE BOX, ANY TV BECOMES A VIRTUAL SMART TV.

One thing to consider is that all of your TVs must be smart TVs in order to use it.

What do you mean? It has a standard hdmi/cable connection like any normal cable box. The box in my room is connected to a non-smart tv.

found pricing
https://www.optimum.net/pricing-packages

Looks like regular cable box is $11 a month.
Altice pack is $20 a month
Altice mini is $10 a month

Not sure if the pack has multiple boxes or not.

For many Altice 1 at a greater cost is not worth it. Why exchange an $11 a month rental box for an item that has greater cost.

Maybe it is 1 $20 box and other tv's get the $10 boxes. Either way, it probably cost more if you have 4 tvs with boxes. Today is $44 vs possibly $50-60.

found pricing
https://www.optimum.net/pricing-packages

Looks like regular cable box is $11 a month.
Altice pack is $20 a month
Altice mini is $10 a month

Not sure if the pack has multiple boxes or not.

For many Altice 1 at a greater cost is not worth it. Why exchange an $11 a month rental box for an item that has greater cost.

Maybe it is 1 $20 box and other tv's get the $10 boxes. Either way, it probably cost more if you have 4 tvs with boxes. Today is $44 vs possibly $50-60.
But if the $20 Altice 1 box replaces an $11 cable box + a $10 modem/router, then it doesn't cost more and could be a good deal, especially if it offers better functionality and features.

just looked at my bill for Optimum

modem fee is $4.95
have 2 boxes at $10 each (now they charge $11)

have the multi room dvr package at $13.95 that is no longer available. Now they have Cloud DVR at $17.95.

My guess is if I make changes to Altice it will cost me more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT