ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Anchor Brewing ceases production.

So I take it that their Old Potrero rye whiskey brand was not included in this and is owned by somebody else.

That’s tremendous news. Ulukaya knows how what it takes to run and grow niche businesses. Better result than I could have ever imagined.
I saw a 60 minutes segment a few years ago about how he founded Chobani....quite the rags to riches story.

Will be curious to see how he rejuvenates Anchor Brewing.

Last edited:
The funny thing is that Yuengling Lager has only been around since 1987. Prior to that its flackship was Yuengling Premium which is more like a Pilsner. However it took no time for the Lager to become the big thing.
I don't think that's accurate. In 1987 they "brought back" the lager. The founder was a German and I seriously doubt he started brewing an ale. As a German he must have started with a lager. I know they dug caverns underground to allow them to brew year round before refrigeration.

They never get credit but they brewed the first IPA after prohibition. Most breweries gave up on that style
And thank the lord they did. IPA sucks. IPA drinkers are being propagandized because IPAs are easier to brew. IPAs are the Merlot of the Beer world.
merlot-sideways.gif

Last edited:
I don't think that's accurate. In 1987 they "brought back" the lager. The founder was a German and I seriously doubt he started brewing an ale. As a German he must have started with a lager. I know they dug caverns underground to allow them to brew year round before refrigeration.
They had the Premium before the Lager

I'm not a big time IPA fan so go yell on Untapped. I'm a Belgium Ale and German Lagers (many different, delicious styles) guy.
I shall remove the YOU.. I apologize. Assumed. If people would stop buying and drinking that crap maybe all these breweries would work harder and produce some good beers and proper ales.

It is still very hot.. hit up weissbier and hefeweizen and, of course pilsners and lagers! The time for fall's malty stuff will be here soon enough. It is never time for IPA unless, of course, you are stuck in INDIA or some other place incapable of properly brewing beer.

PS.. just having fun.. really ain't that much of a beer snob.. but I truly hate IPAs and very much dislike seeing them crowding out the taps at places forcing me to go to bottles for a reasonable selection.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT