ADVERTISEMENT

OT: AND THE ANSWER IS...... Rutgers Baseball tRivia Time - Rutgers President and The First Pitch

Source

Heisman Winner
Aug 1, 2001
I figure the Baseball Team would get more eyeballs on the basketball thread this week which is why I posted the following multiple choice question. Answer tomorrow.

The Rutgers Baseball Team opened its home season with an 18-1 victory over Wagner today pushing their record to 10-1 -- the best Rutgers start in 60 years! They will now fly to Hawaii for a three game series and return back to the States to play in Nebraska.

Today's trivia question is in honor of the Baseball Team and its great opening.

Which Rutgers President was the first to open a Rutgers season by throwing out the first ball?

A. William Henry Campbell (1862-1882)
B. Austin Scott (1891-1906)
C. William Henry Demerest (1906-1924)
D. Robert Clothier (1932-1951)
E. Mason Gross (1959-1971)
F. Ed Bloustein (1971-1989)

I figure the Baseball Team would get more eyeballs on the basketball thread this week which is why I posted the following multiple choice question. Answer tomorrow.

The Rutgers Baseball Team opened its home season with an 18-1 victory over Wagner today pushing their record to 10-1 -- the best Rutgers start in 60 years! They will now fly to Hawaii for a three game series and return back to the States to play in Nebraska.

Uh, Hawaii is in the “states” 😉

No clue, but I’m going to guess more modern era and go with Bloustein.

Today's trivia question is in honor of the Baseball Team and its great opening.

Which Rutgers President was the first to open a Rutgers season by throwing out the first ball?

A. William Henry Campbell (1862-1882)
B. Austin Scott (1891-1906)
C. William Henry Demerest (1906-1924)
D. Robert Clothier (1932-1951)
E. Mason Gross (1959-1971)
F. Ed Bloustein (1971-1989)
Give me a hint. What was wrong with the ball?

I’m a kill joy.
To make that trip all the way to Hawaii for only 3 games is tough.
Don't be a kill joy. Rutgers played its first games off the continent when both the Rutgers football and basketball teams and 2,000 followers finished the 1974 football season with a November 30 game in Hawaii. It was the first time Hawaii had ever played an east coast school.

On Friday night before 7,495 at the Honolulu International Center (1:15 a.m. in New Brunswick), the men’s basketball team upset Hawaii 75-70 with Phil Sellers scoring 24, Mike Dabney 23 and Hollis Copeland 18 points.

Fans were annoyed at the officiating and when the football team played Saturday night (12:15 a.m. in New Brunswick) the play was termed dirty and the crowd rowdy. Fights broke out and in one of them a Rutgers player knocked out several teeth of one of the Hawaiian players. Rutgers was favored but lost 28-16 and finished 7-3-1.

The December 5, 1974 Targum said, “‘The behavior on the part of the University of Hawaii was ‘abominable,’’ said a Trustee member at the regular meeting of the Board of Governors yesterday in the Alexander Library. ‘Fans threw cups and fruit at our cheerleaders. I hope President (Ed Bloustein) receives some sort of apology.’ ‘The crowd was not what I would call a well-ordered crowd,’ said Henry Winkler, vice president for academic affairs, in a tone of understatement. It was not a well ordered game. There was nothing questionable done by Rutgers fans or players.”

I’m a kill joy.
To make that trip all the way to Hawaii for only 3 games is tough.
They're not coming right back. It's the start of spring break, so they're taking a few days off after the Hawaii series and instead of flying home they are flying to Nebraska to play a three game series at Nebraska-Omaha

Great Scott!

Source: April 11, 1905 Daily Times of New Brunswick

“Rutgers Team Plays First Game Tomorrow – Dr. [Austin] Scott and All of the Faculty of the College Will Be Present at Match with CCNY - Rutgers baseball team will open its season on Neilson field on Wednesday afternoon at 3:30 o’clock, when it will cross bats with the team of the C.C.N.Y. The event will be notable as President Scott will open the game by throwing the ball into the field. The men for the Rutgers team will be: Neilson catcher, Van Zant, Harries or Green, first base; Pearce and Reinheimer, short stop; Ford, third base, Mason, left field, Taylor, centre field, Hughes, right field.”

Apri l2, 1905​

Rutgers 9 City College of New York (CCNY) 3​

at Neilson Field, New Brunswick​

Rutgers 1 0 3 1 0 1 9 3 x - 9

C.C. of N.Y. 0 0 2 1 0 0 0 0 0 – 3

Source: April 13, 1905 Daily Times of New Brunswick

“Rutgers Won From New York City College – The Rutgers baseball team began the season for 1905 auspiciously by defeating the City College of New York nine yesterday afternoon on Neilson Field by a score of 9 to 3. President [Austin] Scott tossed the ball into the diamond and was received with a burst of applause from a grand-stand so well filled as to delight the heart of [team] manager Kurtz. The Faculty occupied seats reserved for them."

Source: April 13, 1905 New York Tribune

“Rutgers Beats City College – In a featureless game Rutgers College defeated the College of the City of New York on Neilson field today by a score of 9 to 3. The visiting team batted inopportunely, but fielded fast and clean, supporting their pitcher in fine style. The score does not indicate the closeness of the game. The game was the first of the season for Rutgers and President Austin Scott threw out the first ball. Arnold , Macgrath and Ennis played best for New York, and Ford, Van Sant and Pierce for Rutgers.”

They're not coming right back. It's the start of spring break, so they're taking a few days off after the Hawaii series and instead of flying home they are flying to Nebraska to play a three game series at Nebraska-Omaha
12 hours out, another 9 hours to Nebraska inside 5 days is a lot of flying

12 hours out, another 9 hours to Nebraska inside 5 days is a lot of flying
This Hawaii series was inherited by HC Owens. We play 4 games against Hawaii, then have a couple of days to enjoy Hawaii, then fly to Omaha for 3 games. Lots of rest in between series’ with spring break.

Owens said he has used it in recruiting and the players are pretty excited, so there are definitely positives.

This Hawaii series was inherited by HC Owens. We play 4 games against Hawaii, then have a couple of days to enjoy Hawaii, then fly to Omaha for 3 games. Lots of rest in between series’ with spring break.

Owens said he has used it in recruiting and the players are pretty excited, so there are definitely positives.
Got it, staying in Hawaii a few day after the games, that’ll be blast.
I remember going to play the Hawaiian Islanders for a 5 game series, we’d all rent scooters, snorkel at Hanauma Bay…man that was fun.
Gotta watch out for sunburn, I kid you not…much to the displeasure of AAA managers for the 50 years, sunburn has shelved many minor league players in Hawaii.

Reactions: Scarlet83
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT