ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Antonio Brown, ya know... again.

What I love is that all wide receivers seem to be some sort of crazy. They tend to believe that if they join a team that's not doing so well they can lift that team up alone, which I think benefits us right now. I've seen some talented receivers choose some wildly poor teams even back when Rutgers was doing poorly. I think we'll get some outstanding wide receivers soon who believe that they alone can change a team more so than other positions.

I honestly believe he has suffered brain trauma from the hit he took from Burfick(sp?). I do not recall him being this crazy before that hit. I worry about him hurting himself or someone else as time goes on.
He has gotten worse since then, but his history of getting in trouble goes back much farther than that.

Don't know about HS, but he certainly is now. Throw OBJ and Cam Newton in that category also.
I think it’s different levels. brown is a POS who seems to have caused physical harm to others
OBJ is an immature jackass and bad teammate
Cam? What has he done negative in the NFL? Wasn’t he a Walter Payton nominee?

I hope you are kidding. He was a jackass in HS and he’s a jackass now.

Unless you knew him in high school or something, its CTE. The man is 32 years old. Doing something dopey as a teenager has nothing to do with whats happening now.

Theres a difference between "being a jackass" and suddenly displaying a pattern of bizarre, erratic, self destructive behavior at random while ignoring otherwise OBVIOUS consequences....

Can’t believe Johnny Manzells name hasn’t come up in this conversation. He gave it a really good effort to be included. I still think he makes another attempt somewhere—XFL or IFL.

Reactions: jreinsdorf
Maybe he can lead the Rikers Island team in receiving yards before they close the place down.

Unless you knew him in high school or something, its CTE. The man is 32 years old. Doing something dopey as a teenager has nothing to do with whats happening now.

Theres a difference between "being a jackass" and suddenly displaying a pattern of bizarre, erratic, self destructive behavior at random while ignoring otherwise OBVIOUS consequences....

That’s a pretty big leap to it must be CTE. Do I think he has some type of mental illness? Probably but so do a lot of people who never strapped on a helmet, and onset can occur until mid 30s for many such conditions. In fact, Brandon Marshall (former NFL WR) suffers from a mental disorder (other than CTE) that was not diagnosed until he was in his 30s.

I’m not denying CTE exists or that NFL players get it, but that does not mean every NFL player who demonstrates signs of mental illness has CTE. There’s a difference between association and causation.

Ok. So every thud in the hood and every piece of white trash in Detroit all have CTE. How about he’s a pice of shit who thinks laws don’t apply to him. The point is he hasn’t “suddenly” started behaving like an asshole. It’s just his issues now outweigh his benefit so we don’t ignore them
Hate how CTE is the new excuse to excuse people for their choices. As I said, he’s been a POS since HS

Last edited:
Ok. So every thud in the hood and every piece of white trash in Detroit all have CTE. How about he’s a pice of shit who thinks laws don’t apply to him. The point is he hasn’t “suddenly” started behaving like an asshole. It’s just his issues now outweigh his benefit so we don’t ignore them
Hate how CTE is the new excuse to excuse people for their choices. As I said, he’s been a POS since HS
Agree 100% with this.
CTE, bi-polar, brain trauma etc is very real in these violent sports but it can’t be an excuse for everything.
CTE just seems to be the excuse for everything. And ‘most’ of the time, the outside world beyond family and very close friends never even see that side of it.
More often, the destructive and or aggressive behavior we see are either because very aggressive people either gravitate and excel at this sport or this sport has trained kids from 8 years old like gladiators who solve everything aggressively. It usually takes a while for many players to assimilate back into the real world of discussion, compromise and compassion
Brown seems to just fall into being a dumb spoiled dick who was never told no before.
Hernandez, while it showed he had CTE was just a bad person to begin with.
CTE is scary but stop using it to try to explain everything.

Reactions: RUShea and vkj91
Agree 100% with this.
CTE, bi-polar, brain trauma etc is very real in these violent sports but it can’t be an excuse for everything.
CTE just seems to be the excuse for everything. And ‘most’ of the time, the outside world beyond family and very close friends never even see that side of it.
More often, the destructive and or aggressive behavior we see are either because very aggressive people either gravitate and excel at this sport or this sport has trained kids from 8 years old like gladiators who solve everything aggressively. It usually takes a while for many players to assimilate back into the real world of discussion, compromise and compassion
Brown seems to just fall into being a dumb spoiled dick who was never told no before.
Hernandez, while it showed he had CTE was just a bad person to begin with.
CTE is scary but stop using it to try to explain everything.
I started watching the Hernandez documentary but haven’t Finished it. It talks about a violent, drunk father, who he watched bash his mom’s head against a sink until she was unconscious. I’d say that probably had more to do with his behavior than some concussions.

Reactions: jmc11201

Lol ok. You either dont understand mental illness or you dont want to. Which is fine.

No one talking about morality here. You seem to want to turn this into a moral argument which isnt the point of this convo.. Its not about who is a "POS" or giving people a pass. Effects from brain trauma are a real thing in football and can explain a lot.

Aaron Hernandez is what most if not all including myself would deem a "POS" and has been for some time. He also LITERALLY HAD CTE. Its not up for debate its a scientific fact. He premeditatively took the lives of innocent men for no reason which is inexcusable. pointing out that he was a meanie in H.S is silly and would add nothing to the discussion.

Theres a reason why you dont see this degree of hijinks on other sports. CTE isnt some bs that someone made up. Its an actual medically classified disease that is rampant in football, NOT just the NFL. If that makes you feel less comfortable disparaging your least favorite players, i dunno what to tell you. Call him whatever makes you happy. Get "AB is a POS" tatooed on your chest. Its not going to make his brain damage go away.

Reactions: FastMJ
Lol ok. You either dont understand mental illness or you dont want to. Which is fine.

No one talking about morality here. You seem to want to turn this into a moral argument which isnt the point of this convo.. Its not about who is a "POS" or giving people a pass. Effects from brain trauma are a real thing in football and can explain a lot.

Aaron Hernandez is what most if not all including myself would deem a "POS" and has been for some time. He also LITERALLY HAD CTE. Its not up for debate its a scientific fact. He premeditatively took the lives of innocent men for no reason which is inexcusable. pointing out that he was a meanie in H.S is silly and would add nothing to the discussion.

Theres a reason why you dont see this degree of hijinks on other sports. CTE isnt some bs that someone made up. Its an actual medically classified disease that is rampant in football, NOT just the NFL. If that makes you feel less comfortable disparaging your least favorite players, i dunno what to tell you. Call him whatever makes you happy. Get "AB is a POS" tatooed on your chest. Its not going to make his brain damage go away.

The bottom line is that if he's predisposed to criminal conduct prior to the occurrence of CTE, he's going to be predisposed to criminal conduct after.

I think the point that @vkj91 is trying to make is that CTE, alone, does not explain his behavior. And that is a perfectly valid point.

The bottom line is that if he's predisposed to criminal conduct prior to the occurrence of CTE, he's going to be predisposed to criminal conduct after.

I think the point that @vkj91 is trying to make is that CTE, alone, does not explain his behavior. And that is a perfectly valid point.

Its a fair point but his impulsive and abusive behavior has dramatically increased. There seems to be a change and it’s fair to wonder whether CTE is the cause given similar cases in the football world.

I would bet that he does have CTE and would leave it to others to opine on what he was like as a kid and in his early playing years. Do we have evidence that he was a punk?

Reactions: zazoo2002
he also had issues at CMU, but CTE is degenerative. and affects people differently. certainly possible. can't be dismissed so easily as some want to do

it's funny, someone pointed out yhat all of this nonsense started not too long after the hit that vontez burfict put on him in the playoffs a few years ago that knocked him out cold. You never know.

Its a fair point but his impulsive and abusive behavior has dramatically increased. There seems to be a change and it’s fair to wonder whether CTE is the cause given similar cases in the football world.

I would bet that he does have CTE and would leave it to others to opine on what he was like as a kid and in his early playing years. Do we have evidence that he was a punk?

I think the only thing to do is dissect him and determine the extent of the damage that he's suffered.

Medically rampant in football because those are the heads they are cutting open. How about boxers, wrestlers, soccer players and just plain old fashioned normal people.

Reactions: Finster Baby

Has it increased or have people just started paying attention? Does he just have more time on his hands to hang out with other shit bags? Ate his neighbors more likely to call the cops since he’s no longer a cool NFL star?

Medically rampant in football because those are the heads they are cutting open. How about boxers, wrestlers, soccer players and just plain old fashioned normal people.

Well... How deep do we want to drill down here?

Its theorized that the style of hit to the head is what factors into CTE. NFL hits are unique to say the least. Achieving full body forward momentum and then being stopped abruptly by blunt force to the head repeatedly is a bit different than other contact sports even boxing.

Funny you should mention wrestling. Surely you remember the story of Chris Benoit. When they cracked his skull open they found one of the worst cases of CTE ever. He had the brain of a 90 year old Alzheimers patient. His signature move was the flying headbutt... Diving headfirst off the top turnbuckle and crashing his forehead into a prone opponent. Not unlike football. Yes wrestling is fake but the contact was real. Now imagine touring and doing that move over and over night in and night out. Something to think about.

Reactions: zazoo2002
It's one thing to theorize that AB has CTE and it's the cause of his recent publicized actions, but it's something totally different to say that he's only acting this way because of CTE and it is the cause. People spiral out of control all the time. Did Brittany Spears have CTE? She started acting erratic seemingly out of nowhere. Google Delonte West and see what he's up to recently. It's a sad situation.

As RU4Real mentioned (albeit in a humorous manner), the only way to confirm CTE is by dissecting the brain, which obviously you cannot do until he is dead. So, if you're inclined to believe AB's actions are the result of CTE that's fine, but it's only at most an association, and more likely mere speculation, without the benefit of a full differential diagnosis.

How come I never hear about CTE being connected to the abuse of pain medication. If pain meds can take away your hearing then why can’t they have a negative impact on the brain. We all know how most football players depend on pain killers to stay on the field. It’s always about the trauma, pain meds are never brought up, very sketchy.

Honestly he didn’t real lose control until

# no more white women 2020

maybe he just needs some loving.

You see plenty of it in basketball.

that was actually brought up in the Hernandez documentary. Forget the name of the pain killer they gave him basically every day.

How come I never hear about CTE being connected to the abuse of pain medication. If pain meds can take away your hearing then why can’t they have a negative impact on the brain. We all know how most football players depend on pain killers to stay on the field. It’s always about the trauma, pain meds are never brought up, very sketchy.

breaking news, children act like children.
Breaking news, children usually grow up and change their behavior. This asshole hasn’t. If he wasn’t an athlete he’d already be in jail.
Randy moss is a great example. He was poster child of a dumb, spoiled, coddled athlete who as far as I know, grew out of it to be come a productive member of society even though he could be a really crappy teammate.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT