ADVERTISEMENT

OT: From a Holmdel HS parent. Rutgers Eric LeGrand

RUfinally2008

All American
Aug 20, 2005
This was before the Camden game, but still a nice read. Clear eyes, Full Hearts. Some of you may remember the iconic saying from the movie Friday Night Lights about a small town HS football team and their quest for 'perfection'.
My eyes are clear and my heart is full right now. Our Holmdel Touchdown Club set up a team dinner @ Bell Works last night. Afterwards, we were treated to an inspirational talk with Eric LeGrand, former Rutgers football player that was paralyzed during a game in 2010. It was an incredible opportunity for our team to hear his message of resiliency, PURPOSE and the power of a positive mindset.
I'm not sure how to properly thank all of the right people, but I know Holmdel Township leadership was heavily involved in bringing Mr. LeGrand in. Mr. & Mrs. Buontempo were my points of contact, so a special Thank YOU to them. Ralph Zucker and the Bell Works team were first class, as always, and my buddy Bob Ward and his team were extremely helpful as well. I am sure there were many more folks that I am missing--please don't take offense.
After the event, I got in my truck and drove home with so many thoughts bouncing around in my head. About tonight's game, our journey, our town and our team -- so much pride-- and maybe some nerves too
🙂

Turned on to my street to see someone had put all of the seniors lawn signs out in my front yard. Brought me to tears on the spot. Our senior class really is something special. I love you guys.
We (Holmdel Football) have so much to be proud of. When we took this job 8 years ago, I remember saying to the parents "Wouldn't it be SO GREAT to have the chance to play in big games someday-- Can you just imagine if we ever got to play in HOME playoff games ?" . We were nowhere even close to being a playoff team at that point-
Well, here we are. We are hosting a State semi-final tonight HOME @ Holmdel HS. Kickoff is 7pm. We are squaring off against Camden HS, the 6th ranked public school team in the state.
Anyone that was at last weeks playoff win knows how important the crowd was-- and we need you even MORE tonight.
This is probably the biggest home football game in the history of our town. It's going to be a cool, crisp autumn night... in our little one district town-- the ultimate David v. Goliath story (I am more of a Rocky/Apollo guy for whatever it's worth). As I sit here at work writing this- My eyes are clear and my heart is full. Please come support one of the greatest football stories in the state. Our kids are amazing. No one superstar, but they are team that plays hard together. They are gritty, tough and resilient. I'm proud of a lot of things, but I am most proud of the TEAM they've become. I Look forward to seeing you all tonight.
Huge thank you to my wife and my family for all of the support. Also, a huge Thank you to our parents/players and community -- Not much left to do but go play the game. WeAreHOLMDEL.
Let's go find a way.

396732195_10159749196073372_7567462332350265877_n.jpg

Good luck tonight!

Bell Works... I remember first time I walked in that place so many years ago now. Awesome building. It was featured in some Sci-Fi show... Severance on Apple+

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT