ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Anybody work in Consulting?

I am old enough to have worked in management consulting when it was the Big Six. It was hard being away from family and I regret being away a lot when my kids were young. However as someone in this thread said it provided a good exit strategy. It will lead to exec positions in software or operations. Good luck.

I have been a Partner at two Big 4 Firms doing Consulting work for 20+ years. Most of what is said is correct. Some firms have better work life balance (EY for example), some firms say they have work life balance and don't (Deloitte). You will learn a lot and your job will be ever changing. As a "junior" level person (at your age more like a Senior) you will be measured on utilization AND quality of work. If you do quality work you will ALWAYS be utilized; if you don't you won't. Travel differs by firm and project. Some firms try to staff locally, some just throw you out there. Firms hire all sorts (undergrad, MBA, industry) so there is a spot for all. The Big 4 and Strategy firms have preferred schools as well. Projects can also be hit or miss. Some great, some rough- but those too shall pass. Look for a good mentor quickly, that will help you get staffed and on better engagements with people you like. As far as exit strategies, those happen as you become more senior and there is no home for you long term. McKinsey seems to do the best job there. If you are an industry expert, I'd look for a firm that specializes in that sector and values it.

Can answer other questions, if you wish.

Reactions: RUevolution36
Some do, some don't and they all don't pay for everyone. Usually the payment comes with a work commitment post graduation.

This is my experience as well--both as an MBA going through the recruitment process and at my new firm ramping up a practice staff.

We'll pay--right after you sign a contract for a 4 year post graduation commitment. lol. It's an important consideration for the road map I encouraged you to create. Our commitment is slightly prorated though. Every month is a 1/48th reduction in what you would owe us if you leave early. lol

Reactions: Rokodesh
Some do, some don't and they all don't pay for everyone. Usually the payment comes with a work commitment post graduation.
All of this is correct. But when you talk about consulting, the firms you'd generally think about will. What I mean by that is that everyone tends to categorize anything that is client service into a big consulting bucket. If you're talking about the companies that do management consulting, they generally do. And those firms will pay unless your not any good / they don't want you back. Of course there is a commitment but most firms it's only two years, which to an MBA student usually isn't a big deal as most of them view consulting as years 3/4 of business school. My experience / classmates experience at least.

Last edited:
Been looking at moving from a middle-office bank role to a management consulting position, where I would be facing different clients for projects, and be more hands-on in process and project delivery. Had an interview in the city last week, and the job seems great, but I wanted to find out some more stuff that the firm won't always tell you.

How is your work/life balance? (I'm prepared to work long hours and travel so not a problem)

Do you regularly encounter long periods between projects? (my biggest worry)

Do you prefer it over a standard 9-5?

How much vacation do you get?

Any suggestions?
The alcohol spending thread is a good example interview question

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT