ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Belmar beach badge checkers don’t fool around

A case of two wrongs making a right to arrest .
One wrong was the surfer ignoring a valid demand by law enforcement.
The other wrong was the way the officer made it into a confrontation by knocking the board away from the idiot holding it..
Officer deserves a reprimand for knocking the board away and escalating the situation , idiot needs to be fined for not obeying a valid ID request .
It's nearly always really dumb to be combative, even just verbally, with police. It shows a pronounced lack of both situational awareness and empathy for the position it puts the officers in.

At the same time, there does seem to be an increasing amount of violent police-civilian confrontations where a greater effort at deescalation by the police might have avoided that violence. Or maybe cell-phone cameras and the internet just make it seem more common.

Having said that, I think the majority of police officers across the country probably do, in fact, work hard to de-escalate situations. I've seen it happening lots of times. But we rarely see the successes; we mostly only see the failures.

A case of two wrongs making a right to arrest .
One wrong was the surfer ignoring a valid demand by law enforcement.
The other wrong was the way the officer made it into a confrontation by knocking the board away from the idiot holding it..
Officer deserves a reprimand for knocking the board away and escalating the situation , idiot needs to be fined for not obeying a valid ID request .
Yea both sides look like idiots in this situation.

He’s a summer special. I doubt he gets hired full time after this audition.

Biggest idiots in the whole video were the 2 women. Older lady mentioning George Floyd wins the biggest moron award.

Yea. That’s my experience as well. You can drink on beaches in Point and Asbury in front of the bars.
10 years ago when my mother in law was still alive, 3 families rent a big house right on the boards near Jenkinson's South. She asks me if I could get her a beer on tap since they have them ice cold. Sure enough,I'm right in front of the rental and a couple of rent a cops stop me. Said it was a $500 fine, I said she's 90, and dying for a beer on tap. They asked her if the beer was for her and she said yes and they let me go. That would have been one expensive 16 oz beer, lol.

10 years ago when my mother in law was still alive, 3 families rent a big house right on the boards near Jenkinson's South. She asks me if I could get her a beer on tap since they have them ice cold. Sure enough,I'm right in front of the rental and a couple of rent a cops stop me. Said it was a $500 fine, I said she's 90, and dying for a beer on tap. They asked her if the beer was for her and she said yes and they let me go. That would have been one expensive 16 oz beer, lol.
Nice! 90 year old MIL wanted suds.

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
Yea both sides look like idiots in this situation.

He’s a summer special. I doubt he gets hired full time after this audition.

Biggest idiots in the whole video were the 2 women. Older lady mentioning George Floyd wins the biggest moron award.
Respectfully disagree.

Full statement from Chief of Belmar Police.

I would like to provide the community with some additional context regarding the arrest made on the Belmar Beach on Tuesday August 20th. I have viewed the officer’s body worn camera footage that shows the interaction between Officer Braswell and Mr. Mahoney and the events that led to his arrest.
During the week, officers received multiple complaints regarding surfers illegally entering the beach across the dunes. The gate attendants requested these surfers to show their beach badge, however, their requests went ignored. On this date, the officers who were assigned to the beachfront conducted a check for daily and seasonal badges.
The body worn camera recording shows that during this check, the subject later identified as Liam Mahoney, was approached by officers and when asked for his badge, he replied “I do not need one”. Officer Braswell then advised the specific state and local laws that require Mr. Mahoney to have a badge, and he is not exempt. Officer Braswell then asked Mr. Mahoney for his identification in order to issue him a summons. Mr. Mahoney again refused to give his information and began to walk away.
At this point, Mr. Mahoney was told that he was not free to leave, and he continued to walk away. Officer Braswell then advised him that he would be placed under arrest if he did not cooperate. Mr. Mahoney continued to leave while Officer Braswell followed him. Once Officer Braswell was able to catch up with Mr. Mahoney, he was asked multiple times to drop his surfboard, which he refused. Officer Braswell then removed the surfboard from Mr. Mahoney so that he can be placed under arrest.
Mr. Mahoney was told approximately nine to ten times to place his hands behind his back, but he continued to resist preventing, Officer Braswell from handcuffing him. Officer Braswell continued to speak with Mr. Mahoney to try to de-escalate the situation and avoid additional physical contact. Mr. Mahoney continued to not cooperate with Officer Braswell who then took him to the ground to gain control of his arms in order to place him under arrest.
To be clear, Mr. Mahoney was not arrested for not having a beach badge. He was arrested because he obstructed the officer’s investigation by refusing to give his identification or pedigree information. Mr. Mahoney was also advised he was not free to leave and continued to walk away during this encounter.
The Borough is aware of some misconceptions of the law that have been circulating prior to the subject incident but seem to have gained additional traction since. Pursuant to
N.J.S.A. 40:61-22.20 all municipalities bordering on the Atlantic Ocean have the right to charge reasonable fees for the purpose of maintaining the beach and bathing areas and for providing facilities and safeguards for people using such areas. This is so notwithstanding the right to access afforded by the Public Trust Doctrine and the requirement to pay a fee applies to all persons not otherwise subject to the exceptions of the Statute. Surfers are not the subject of the exceptions.
A thorough review of the circumstances of the arrest is being conducted in accordance with applicable New Jersey Office of the Attorney General (OAG) guidelines.
Attached; Belmar Police Body Worn Camera footage from Officer Braswell.
Chief Tina Scott

And this comment beneath the post:

"
Jim Sharrock
As a resident of Belmar and a retired Police Officer who served for over 40 years AND a member and Vice Chairman, of the New State Police Training Commission for over 30 years which oversees all Training and now Licensing of every Police Officer in the State. I believe the actions of Officer Braswell were absolutely correct. I stand by Officer Braswell 100% and so should you !"

--------
And the surfers are dicks for accessing the beach by climbing over the dunes. Surfers are supposed to respect the ocean the beach. The dunes are there for a reason, not to be trampled over by disrespectful water rats.

A
Respectfully disagree.

Full statement from Chief of Belmar Police.

I would like to provide the community with some additional context regarding the arrest made on the Belmar Beach on Tuesday August 20th. I have viewed the officer’s body worn camera footage that shows the interaction between Officer Braswell and Mr. Mahoney and the events that led to his arrest.
During the week, officers received multiple complaints regarding surfers illegally entering the beach across the dunes. The gate attendants requested these surfers to show their beach badge, however, their requests went ignored. On this date, the officers who were assigned to the beachfront conducted a check for daily and seasonal badges.
The body worn camera recording shows that during this check, the subject later identified as Liam Mahoney, was approached by officers and when asked for his badge, he replied “I do not need one”. Officer Braswell then advised the specific state and local laws that require Mr. Mahoney to have a badge, and he is not exempt. Officer Braswell then asked Mr. Mahoney for his identification in order to issue him a summons. Mr. Mahoney again refused to give his information and began to walk away.
At this point, Mr. Mahoney was told that he was not free to leave, and he continued to walk away. Officer Braswell then advised him that he would be placed under arrest if he did not cooperate. Mr. Mahoney continued to leave while Officer Braswell followed him. Once Officer Braswell was able to catch up with Mr. Mahoney, he was asked multiple times to drop his surfboard, which he refused. Officer Braswell then removed the surfboard from Mr. Mahoney so that he can be placed under arrest.
Mr. Mahoney was told approximately nine to ten times to place his hands behind his back, but he continued to resist preventing, Officer Braswell from handcuffing him. Officer Braswell continued to speak with Mr. Mahoney to try to de-escalate the situation and avoid additional physical contact. Mr. Mahoney continued to not cooperate with Officer Braswell who then took him to the ground to gain control of his arms in order to place him under arrest.
To be clear, Mr. Mahoney was not arrested for not having a beach badge. He was arrested because he obstructed the officer’s investigation by refusing to give his identification or pedigree information. Mr. Mahoney was also advised he was not free to leave and continued to walk away during this encounter.
The Borough is aware of some misconceptions of the law that have been circulating prior to the subject incident but seem to have gained additional traction since. Pursuant to
N.J.S.A. 40:61-22.20 all municipalities bordering on the Atlantic Ocean have the right to charge reasonable fees for the purpose of maintaining the beach and bathing areas and for providing facilities and safeguards for people using such areas. This is so notwithstanding the right to access afforded by the Public Trust Doctrine and the requirement to pay a fee applies to all persons not otherwise subject to the exceptions of the Statute. Surfers are not the subject of the exceptions.
A thorough review of the circumstances of the arrest is being conducted in accordance with applicable New Jersey Office of the Attorney General (OAG) guidelines.
Attached; Belmar Police Body Worn Camera footage from Officer Braswell.
Chief Tina Scott

And this comment beneath the post:

"
Jim Sharrock
As a resident of Belmar and a retired Police Officer who served for over 40 years AND a member and Vice Chairman, of the New State Police Training Commission for over 30 years which oversees all Training and now Licensing of every Police Officer in the State. I believe the actions of Officer Braswell were absolutely correct. I stand by Officer Braswell 100% and so should you !"

--------
And the surfers are dicks for accessing the beach by climbing over the dunes. Surfers are supposed to respect the ocean the beach. The dunes are there for a reason, not to be trampled over by disrespectful water rats.
I side with the the cops. He was put in a bad situation. The surfer is absolutely in the wrong. What I meant by the cops look like idiots, is the special1 needed to wait until he had a more “experienced backup”. The special 2’s he had with him did not offer adequate support if that situation really went sideways. This could have been really bad.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Belmar and Manasquan hire “summer help” to aid their police staff. These folks are over zealous and let power go to their head. One step off your property with a drink and bingo a ticket. They need to put their resources to better use.

Reactions: rutgersal
Belmar and Manasquan hire “summer help” to aid their police staff. These folks are over zealous and let power go to their head. One step off your property with a drink and bingo a ticket. They need to put their resources to better use.
That almost happened to me in Manasquan on Labor Day many years ago. I was visiting friends who were packing up to go home. We were finishing off a couple beers in the fridge when a girl came up dragging her suitcase. I grabbed it to take to her car in front of the house, not thinking I had the beer in my other hand. Just then a cop appeared and was going to arrest me. The girl starts crying, saying I was just trying to help her. The cop finally relents. We go back into the house and the girl says with a big smile "that's how you handle a cop" lol.

These small beach towns don't have the year round force to handle the summer crowds that double or triple the year round population. Specials are a necessity.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
That almost happened to me in Manasquan on Labor Day many years ago. I was visiting friends who were packing up to go home. We were finishing off a couple beers in the fridge when a girl came up dragging her suitcase. I grabbed it to take to her car in front of the house, not thinking I had the beer in my other hand. Just then a cop appeared and was going to arrest me. The girl starts crying, saying I was just trying to help her. The cop finally relents. We go back into the house and the girl says with a big smile "that's how you handle a cop" lol.

These small beach towns don't have the year round force to handle the summer crowds that double or triple the year round population. Specials are a necessity.

They will relent faster than Belmar or Sea Girt.

The code enforcement on the other hand...

Police body cam has been released. Surfer seems like toolbox looking to be a victim.

But this could have been handled better.

That video is misleading also... the cut to getting slammed down does not include teh part from the earlier video where the cops are standing next to him merely holding his arms and the surfer decides to break away.. which is resisting arrest. Beach badges are a Jersey thing and this Cali guy should have been made aware of it and how to not f' around with police. This is on the surfer dude and his Jersey friends.. not the cops. I mean.. it's a beach badge fine at worst.. why resist?

That video is misleading also... the cut to getting slammed down does not include teh part from the earlier video where the cops are standing next to him merely holding his arms and the surfer decides to break away.. which is resisting arrest. Beach badges are a Jersey thing and this Cali guy should have been made aware of it and how to not f' around with police. This is on the surfer dude and his Jersey friends.. not the cops. I mean.. it's a beach badge fine at worst.. why resist?
The headline is also misleading. Not a Cali kid. He is a jersey kid, grew up in Belmar and is now “living” in cali.

He will fit in well there- on the streets of LA.
fW41g0n.gif

In Lavallette in the late 70s/early 80s you were required to get a permit and stick it on your surfboard to surf.
That was gone by the 80s. I paid for one season and it was gone the next year. Plus if you didn't put it on the fin it didn't stay on your board. I want to say 76 or 77.

I thought access to the beach for surfers and fisherman was the law in the state? NJ lost a big suit when surfers were given tickets when the waves were up and ncoming off hurricane was creating nice waves. And no I didn't pay have to pay the fine. Became a class action lawsuit for all of NJ.
This arrest makes zero sense.

I thought access to the beach for surfers and fisherman was the law in the state? NJ lost a big suit when surfers were given tickets when the waves were up and ncoming off hurricane was creating nice waves. And no I didn't pay have to pay the fine. Became a class action lawsuit for all of NJ.
This arrest makes zero sense.
If that's the case, why not just walk on where everyone else does instead of the dunes?

If that's the case, why not just walk on where everyone else does instead of the dunes?
Been a while since we have been to the Belmar beach, but pre-2020, 17th/18th Ave was the surfing beach. The story said this guy entered on 19th Ave. 20th Ave was the beach we went to, and during the hours the beaches were guarded, there were no surfers on 19th/20th Ave.

So he was well away from any bathers? Hmmm... seems like Belmar doesn't want surfers at all.. at least not during regular hours. Been awhile for me but did some recent beach replenishment effort create some nice regular waves?

Because Belmar has aggressive special cops? No idea.
Cops aren't usually at the steps to get on the beach. Might they be in the vicinity? Sure. Especially the Specials. As a local he knew that.

But normally the badge checker is a older person or a teen.

So he was well away from any bathers? Hmmm... seems like Belmar doesn't want surfers at all.. * at least not during regular hours.
There is enough access on the beaches so as not to cross a dune. Big faux pa.

* And that's not the case. As the Belmar Pro is in a few weeks.

Reactions: newell138
There is enough access on the beaches so as not to cross a dune. Big faux pa.
Oh.. yeah.. you don't tread on the dunes. If everyone did that there wouldn't be dunes for long.

Now that made me think about this being a football board and a game less than a week away. I need me some football talk.

Reactions: WhiteBus
Cops aren't usually at the steps to get on the beach. Might they be in the vicinity? Sure. Especially the Specials. As a local he knew that.

But normally the badge checker is a older person or a teen.
My next job 😂.
My retirement job will go back to working at a golf course a few hours a week. I wouldn't walk the beach all day for $100 an hour.

My next job 😂.
My retirement job will go back to working at a golf course a few hours a week. I wouldn't walk the beach all day for $100 an hour.
They don't walk much. Some certainly need it though. LOL

I can't do either with my 🍀 skin. OL

They don't walk much. Some certainly need it though. LOL

I can't do either with my 🍀 skin. OL
Me too lad! 😂 Meanwhile I spend hours on the bike and had melanoma removed two years ago. Caught it early so just a painful complete removal. I traded golf for cycling talk about hours in the sun. But now I don't need a tee time 😁

Oh.. yeah.. you don't tread on the dunes. If everyone did that there wouldn't be dunes for long.

Now that made me think about this being a football board and a game less than a week away. I need me some football talk.
One of the mods has started about 100 threads this week where there are enough responses.

There are a number of good active threads too

One of the mods has started about 100 threads this week where there are enough responses.

Maybe too many but if you're complaining about not enough football threads you are simply not paying attention. They should buy premium before they complain.

Just saying that, somehow, this made me think of how late in the summer it was (hard to tell down here in Florida) and how my mind needs to turn to football! Perhaps it reminded me of five decades or more on the Jersey Shore and how late August into September was something special.

Besides, I never complain about OT.. just the refs 😲

I'm not in an area where there are usually more than 1 group rental. Matter of fact this year there were none so I have no idea what goes on.

Pricing is what drives people away, but they invent rules as they go along...but then if they are pals with certain owners they allow the house to be on the verge of collapse.

Pricing is what drives people away, but they invent rules as they go along...but then if they are pals with certain owners they allow the house to be on the verge of collapse.
Always been that way. Realtors are the only "industry" here.

I think you'll see rates go down. These prices are crazy. Some houses have had "for rent" signs up all summer. It worked during and for a time after Covid but people are traveling again so greater competition is back.

Belmar fishing question.

Is there access to the shark river inlet jetty without going on the beach?

Can people fish in top of the bridge?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT