ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Berhalter…OUT!!!

I was ready for Berhalter to move on as much as anyone, but our results under Berhalter in competitions that matter (non-friendlies)...

2019 Gold Cup - lost in Final to Mexico
2021 Gold Cup - won (beat Mexico in Final)
2020 Nations League - won (beat Mexico in Final)
2022 World Cup - qualified, finished 2nd in our group, lost in Round of 16
2024 Nations League - won (beat Mexico in Final)
2024 Copa America - 3rd in group and eliminated

I think you might need to reevaluate the definition of "shit since the day he was hired"...we did a lot of good things under him, but never made that big jump forward (and the early exit in Copa America gave us a good time to move on). If making the final 16 of the World Cup is shit, do you think we're just a coach away from being something like a top 4 team?
Look at his record vs teams ranked in the Top 30 (at the time the match was played) other than Mexico. IT SUCKS. So I'll stick with my definition, thx, lol! You can have yours no worries!

Look at his record vs teams ranked in the Top 30 (at the time the match was played) other than Mexico. IT SUCKS. So I'll stick with my definition, thx, lol! You can have yours no worries!
Why would you remove the games against our biggest rival when trying to look at things objectively? Those are the games that have always mattered the most to me...it's like a Yankees fan complaining about their manager that owned Boston saying "if you ignore the Red Sox, he didn't have a good enough record against the AL East". It's a really odd metric.

Why would you remove the games against our biggest rival when trying to look at things objectively? Those are the games that have always mattered the most to me...it's like a Yankees fan complaining about their manager that owned Boston saying "if you ignore the Red Sox, he didn't have a good enough record against the AL East". It's a really odd metric.
First off, I said “OTHER THAN” Mexico. Also, Mexico hasn’t been very good the last five or six years if you haven’t noticed. We should have had success in the Gold and Federation Cups. We expected better in the 22 World Cup, and the nonsense with Geo Reena, which got him fired should have kept him fired, while completely failing in this year‘s gold cup. I’m not sure what you expect but maybe not too muc?

First off, I said “OTHER THAN” Mexico. Also, Mexico hasn’t been very good the last five or six years if you haven’t noticed. We should have had success in the Gold and Federation Cups. We expected better in the 22 World Cup, and the nonsense with Geo Reena, which got him fired should have kept him fired, while completely failing in this year‘s gold cup. I’m not sure what you expect but maybe not too muc?
Huh?

I don’t know about that other stuff, but GB did nothing at all wrong with respect to Gio. He was never fired nor ever in any real threat of being fired over the Reyna parents dredging up some long ago personal thing that was totally unrelated to soccer or the Reyna’s. Nor for hinting about why Gio was in hot water, which I don’t blame him for at all given the moronic media narratives at the time.

The Reyna parents should’ve been given a lifetime ban from attending US soccer events. Insanely bad behavior by them.

• Haha
Reactions: mosito and mdh2003
Huh?

I don’t know about that other stuff, but GB did nothing at all wrong with respect to Gio. He was never fired nor ever in any real threat of being fired over the Reyna parents dredging up some long ago personal thing that was totally unrelated to soccer or the Reyna’s. Nor for hinting about why Gio was in hot water, which I don’t blame him for at all given the moronic media narratives at the time.

The Reyna parents should’ve been given a lifetime ban from attending US soccer events. Insanely bad behavior by them.
That's your opinion. You're welcome to it.

Reactions: mosito
I was ready for Berhalter to move on as much as anyone, but our results under Berhalter in competitions that matter (non-friendlies)...

2019 Gold Cup - lost in Final to Mexico
2021 Gold Cup - won (beat Mexico in Final)
2020 Nations League - won (beat Mexico in Final)
2022 World Cup - qualified, finished 2nd in our group, lost in Round of 16
2024 Nations League - won (beat Mexico in Final)
2024 Copa America - 3rd in group and eliminated

I think you might need to reevaluate the definition of "shit since the day he was hired"...we did a lot of good things under him, but never made that big jump forward (and the early exit in Copa America gave us a good time to move on). If making the final 16 of the World Cup is shit, do you think we're just a coach away from being something like a top 4 team?
This is all accurate. Given what he’s had to work with, I think he did reasonably well. He hasn’t set the US Soccer world afire with results, but the team was improving in its play until injuries to key defenders interrupted the progress.

It’s fair to state that he isn’t coaching the team to wins against elite competition. And maybe some other coach can do more with what we have, especially if they abandon efforts to play a consistently high level of soccer and just go back to luck-based long ball and a hacking style defense. Maybe a new coach can get more out of the current players. Maybe.

But if we don’t improve the roster, I don’t see the team beating elite teams unless it’s in friendlies against B squads or through a lot of luck and ugly soccer.

Reactions: William J. Leggett
This is where the Federation's insistence and focus on "equality" is so dumb. It works to pay the women's coach the same as the men's coach when that coach is Berhalter.

Someone like Klopp makes $40-$50MM.

Are they going to bump up the women's coach from $2MM to $40MM just because that's what the men's top end market pays? Or will they just not hire him as to not have to pay her that rate? Or, will just not pay her what the men's coach can garner because, you know, equality is cool until it really isn't.

Ultimately- as one of the power players in CONCACAF - reaching regional finals and winning championships should be expected and without comparing results don’t see much different between GB and his predecessors - winning gold cups etc.

Regardless of the Gio situation - which was ridiculous on all parties especially the Reyna’s - his team did show flashes at times when his stars played to their potential (Iran?). I just don’t think they liked playing for him. Wynalda had some strong feelings about GBs willingness to have strong leaders on the team vs having GB as the central figure.

But - he lost the fanbase and the sponsors (who heard the fans loud and clear)…and I presume the locker room as a decision like this doesn’t get made without some player consultation.

This is where the Federation's insistence and focus on "equality" is so dumb. It works to pay the women's coach the same as the men's coach when that coach is Berhalter.

Someone like Klopp makes $40-$50MM.

Are they going to bump up the women's coach from $2MM to $40MM just because that's what the men's top end market pays? Or will they just not hire him as to not have to pay her that rate? Or, will just not pay her what the men's coach can garner because, you know, equality is cool until it really isn't.

That may not be true - I was also under the impression it would be a result.

So their talk about equality was lip service.

That's good to know and the best result.

There are YouTubers who make 2-3x what I do creating content that equates to brain rot.

Is that "fair"?

Debatable, but that's what the going market rate is for that kind of thing.

And that's how compensation works in a democratic society.

Reactions: BLewis1968
We can strive for equality while paying everyone the market rate for their job, not paying every coach the exact same amount.

Then it's not equality. It's paying market rate. Men's coaches are simply more valuable.

I'm not sad to see GB out, but it's strange to think that if Weah kept his cool and we went on to beat Panama, then lost 1-0 to Uruguay and possibly lost to Colombia, he might still be the coach. I don't know that I can blame him too much for that.

Lack of discipline has been a hallmark of Berhalter teams. That was just another example.

Rumor is that Klopp said "thanks, but no thanks"
I don’t follow as much as others here but from what I’ve read he and PG seemed liked unrealistic wishful thinking similar to when people bring up Urban Meyer when we’re looking for a coach.

Ultimately- as one of the power players in CONCACAF - reaching regional finals and winning championships should be expected and without comparing results don’t see much different between GB and his predecessors - winning gold cups etc.

Regardless of the Gio situation - which was ridiculous on all parties especially the Reyna’s - his team did show flashes at times when his stars played to their potential (Iran?). I just don’t think they liked playing for him. Wynalda had some strong feelings about GBs willingness to have strong leaders on the team vs having GB as the central figure.

But - he lost the fanbase and the sponsors (who heard the fans loud and clear)…and I presume the locker room as a decision like this doesn’t get made without some player consultation.
Fan base has been a shell of itself in person the last couple of years, and the team has been playing with very little emotion under GB.

We wouldn’t even be in the situation had they not reappointed Berhalter to begin with.
Exactly. Mild-oh-nay (Mildone), in his usual arrogant way, pointed out that GB was never "fired" earlier. He knew exactly what I meant. Some people SMDH.

That's your opinion. You're welcome to it.
Wait. You think what the Reyna parents did was a good thing? Seriously?

They went public with some out-of-context stuff about GB that Gio’s mom learned during a deeply private conversation years ago having nothing to do with soccer whatsoever. All because they were upset that their kid didn’t get more playing time at the WC at a time when the team nearly voted to send Gio home.

US Soccer investigated GB over it, found nothing amiss. He was retained. These are not opinions, they’re facts.

His firing now is about win/loss performance. Has nothing to do with the Reyna family.

Reactions: William J. Leggett
Exactly. Mild-oh-nay (Mildone), in his usual arrogant way, pointed out that GB was never "fired" earlier. He knew exactly what I meant. Some people SMDH.
It’s never arrogant to state facts. You said he was fired. He wasn’t.

Wait. You think what the Reyna parents did was a good thing? Seriously?
I didn't say that. Both sides were in the wrong, IMHO, especially GB for keeping Gio off the field to get back at his parents. Be the adult in the room when you're the national team HC. Period.

We wouldn’t even be in the situation had they not reappointed Berhalter to begin with.
I don’t understand what you mean by that. Other than the timing, how would the situation have been any different had they not retained GB? We’d still need a new coach. There’d be more time to locate someone, but that’s about the only difference, no?

As was pointed out earlier, if Weah didn’t have a brain fart, the US would’ve likely advanced out of the group stage annd GB would’ve likely not been fired.

Last edited:
I didn't say that. Both sides were in the wrong, IMHO, especially GB for keeping Gio off the field to get back at his parents. Be the adult in the room when you're the national team HC. Period.
But that never happened. GB didn’t keep Gio off the field due to his parents at all.

But that never happened. GB didn’t keep Gio off the field due to his parents at all.
That's your opinion. Not that of many others. Listen...we're not going to agree here....you like a guy who couldn't get the job done, period, and I didn't. Never did. Let'a move on.

No, I didn’t know what you meant. I still don’t know what you meant in the earlier post I responded to.
Then don't respond. Pretty simple lol!

(here's at thought: start YOUR OWN THREAD talking about how you feel GB got screwed 👍 )

That's your opinion. Not that of many others. Listen...we're not going to agree here....you like a guy who couldn't get the job done, period, and I didn't. Never did. Let'a move on.
It’s not an opinion. The public attack by Gio’s family came after Gio was nearly sent home.

Gio was not getting playing time already, before the Reyna family attack.

And I neither like nor dislike GB. I like people being accurate. I argue for accuracy, not due to emotional attachment to or dislike of public figures. I actually find GB odd in ways that make me suspect he and I wouldn’t get along well. But I’m not gonna let that ‘cause me to adopt erroneous narratives.

I did the same with Flood and Ash. I’m not a fan of lynch-mobs or the mentality behind them.

It’s not an opinion. The public attack by Gio’s family came after Gio was nearly sent home.

Gio was not getting playing time already, before the Reyna family attack.
So one of your best players keeps getting shorted playing time, etc., but it had NOTHING to do with the issues between the 2 families? Got a minute to talk about some oceanfront property in Montana?

Stop it man...lol...this is exactly why I stopped posting on the free board for so long. Should've stuck to my guns.

Then don't respond. Pretty simple lol!

(here's at thought: start YOUR OWN THREAD talking about how you feel GB got screwed 👍 )
Here’s a thought. Be accurate with your facts and then nobody will argue with you.

And I never once said GB got screwed. Why are you putting words in my mouth? Be accurate. Or don’t, if you don’t want to. But if you’re inaccurate, and someone corrects you, don’t get all butthurt and defensive.

I get stuff wrong all the time. If someone shows when I get something wrong, then that’s great. Because I don’t GAF about being right. I just want to be accurate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Erial_Lion
So one of your best players keeps getting shorted playing time, etc., but it had NOTHING to do with the issues between the 2 families? Got a minute to talk about some oceanfront property in Montana?

Stop it man...lol...this is exactly why I stopped posting on the free board for so long. Should've stuck to my guns.
Who says he was one of the best players? LOL

That’s an opinion and you’re not more qualified than GB to form a valid opinion about it. You realize that Gio was coming off an earlier injury at the time, right? And his work rate in the time he was getting in USMNT games was awful. His work rate in the recent games has been great. Night and day difference.

Reactions: President Harris
Who says he was one of the best players? LOL

That’s an opinion and you’re not more qualified than GB to form a valid opinion about it. You realize that Gio was coming off an earlier injury at the time, right? And his work rate in the time he was getting in USMNT games was awful. His work rate in the recent games has been great. Night and day difference.
How about this: we're on a college sports message board where I am FREE to voice MY OPINION as I'd like (specifically in a thread that I began). Sound good? Again...buddy....START YOUR OWN THREAD kissing GB's ass if you'd like! All good!

Now time to watch some Shogun. I can't deal with anymore of this nonsense tonight. Peace.

How about this: we're on a college sports message board where I am FREE to voice MY OPINION as I'd like (specifically in a thread that I began). Sound good? Again...buddy....START YOUR OWN THREAD kissing GB's ass if you'd like! All good!

Now time to watch some Shogun. I can't deal with anymore of this nonsense tonight. Peace.
I never once said not to express your opinion. But you don’t get to fabricate facts, like the timing of events with Gio’s family.

It’s kissing ass to insist on accuracy, eh? 🤣

What a great way to go through life. When pressed to defend the accuracy of your statements, instead of doing that, make up stuff to try to attack the person questioning your accuracy. That way, you can elevate your biases and opinions over any facts or logic and always be “right”.

All good!

Here’s a thought. Be accurate with your facts and then nobody will argue with you.

And I never once said GB got screwed. Why are you putting words in my mouth? Be accurate. Or don’t, if you don’t want to. But if you’re inaccurate, and someone corrects you, don’t get all butthurt and defensive.

I get stuff wrong all the time. If someone shows when I get something wrong, then that’s great. Because I don’t GAF about being right. I just want to be accurate.
Wish I could give this more than one like. I’m right there with you… not a big Berhalter fan, but also won’t sit there as people make shit up and have a revisionist history on all that’s happened.

Reactions: mildone
Wish I could give this more than one like. I’m right there with you… not a big Berhalter fan, but also won’t sit there as people make shit up and have a revisionist history on all that’s happened.
Appreciate that. I respect people who strive for accuracy.

I often get “accused” of defending this or that person. But all I’m ever doing is defending facts, often an unpopular thing to do when the facts contradict a populist narrative. But I never much care about what’s popular. GB couldn’t take the team to the next level and he’s the HC, the buck stops with him, so I’m supportive of trying someone different.

But he wasn’t an awful coach and he wasn’t fired and rehired. His contract expired naturally and US Soccer investigated and cleared him before they re-signed him to a new contract. Minus the investigation, that’s not unusual for coaches of international teams. The investigation itself arose over the Reyna’s publicizing a domestic dispute between GB and his wife (I think just his GF at the time). Had nothing to do with anything related to soccer whatsoever.

Except for my opinion that he wasn’t an awful coach, everything else in that paragraph is a fact. People’s opinions about GB don’t alter those facts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT