ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Big 12 Commissioner addresses possible addition of UConn: ‘Big brands, big markets, big fanbases matter’

Both sides agree to take a pause?!?!?

Not even sure what that means. Something tells me that No one wants UConn

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
The Big 12 would only want them for hoops; Fox already has the product with the Big East TV package where they might be undervalued.

‘Big brands, big markets, big fanbases matter’

Ummmmm........I wouldn't consider Yukon meeting any of those criteria.

on the UConn side I wonder if supporters of the basketball program might not want to make any change.

BC now has a good coach and New England doesn’t play much football to begin with. I believe Vermont has zero high-school football.
Plus Schiano now has that Canadian pipeline up and running.

My question is, why is NJ.com sleeping with the enemy? No one in NJ gives a rat's ass about Yukon.
Interesting question. In another thread recently…I think it was the Hobbs thread…a poster (perhaps @RUinPinehurst) noted how Politi is so eager to call ‘scandal’ at RU, but was oddly silent regarding the matters at this alma mater. Others chimed in and said nj.com doesn’t cover UNC. Well, they apparently do cover other schools. That di@knead Politi is only about stirring up sh!t about RU.

I mean, the ACC would NEED someone to replace Clemson and FSU when they eventually leave.

😆
Well they’ve filled with SMU, Stanford and Cal for that possible eventuality. If they want to keep the number at 17 or whatever then UConn as well as WVU and UCF become possibilities.

Reactions: Knight Shift
UConn can't even get a meeting with the Big 12 and we ended up IN the Big 10.

Are people still dumb enough to believe "We could have been UConn! But for the grace of the Big Ten and their charity admission of us!!"

We were never close to being UConn.

UConn can't even get a meeting with the Big 12 and we ended up IN the Big 10.

Are people still dumb enough to believe "We could have been UConn! But for the grace of the Big Ten and their charity admission of us!!"

We were never close to being UConn.
The B12 commish is saying what I’ve said before when people were saying markets don’t matter anymore.

Markets, brands, fanbases etc it all matters. It mattered back then and it still matters now. These are all parts of a mosaic that form a picture for each school and that picture is what gets evaluated. Everything matters.

As far as us and the B10, it’s less about charity and more about timing. I’ve never thought we’d be left out and have said I thought the B10 was the likely home.

I do disagree with the idea that we were able to extract more at the time of entry. It was the middle of a tv contract and there wasn’t an alternative for us. The B10 didn’t take us out of charity but they could’ve just moved on or pushed it to a later date which would’ve even taken longer for us to get a full share. Get in the door when the opportunity is there and realize the long term goals are still in tact regardless of the particulars of the short term.

It’s no different than Oregon (Nike school) and Washington (just made the champ game) taking less now while their long term goals are still there. When the new tv contract comes around they will get full shares. Or with the ACC with Cal Stanford and SMU. Geting your foot in the door when the opportunity is there is the biggest thing otherwise who knows when the next opportunity will come by.

The B12 commish is saying what I’ve said before when people were saying markets don’t matter anymore.

Markets, brands, fanbases etc it all matters. It mattered back then and it still matters now. These are all parts of a mosaic that form a picture for each school and that picture is what gets evaluated. Everything matters.

As far as us and the B10, it’s less about charity and more about timing. I’ve never thought we’d be left out and have said I thought the B10 was the likely home.

I do disagree with the idea that we were able to extract more at the time of entry. It was the middle of a tv contract and there wasn’t an alternative for us. The B10 didn’t take us out of charity but they could’ve just moved on or pushed it to a later date which would’ve even taken longer for us to get a full share. Get in the door when the opportunity is there and realize the long term goals are still in tact regardless of the particulars of the short term.

It’s no different than Oregon (Nike school) and Washington (just made the champ game) taking less now while their long term goals are still there. When the new tv contract comes around they will get full shares. Or with the ACC with Cal Stanford and SMU. Geting your foot in the door when the opportunity is there is the biggest thing otherwise who knows when the next opportunity will come by.
The B1G IMO has played chess instead of checkers like the SEC or Shoots and Ladders like the Big 12/ACC has regarding conference expansion. Every single move has been calculated and strategic, not just expanding for the sake of expanding. The B1G controls the NYC market with RU, the LA market with USC/UCLA, the Philly market with PSU, the DC market with Maryland, the Chicago market, the whole PNW with Oregon and Washington, etc. Plus they've diversified their media with Fox, CBS, NBC unlike the SEC who put all of their eggs in the ESPN basket. The B1G also has maintained its academic identity within expansion and hasn't compromised the academic integrity of the conference by choosing flagship universities with strong academic presences.

Last edited:

good fellas laughing GIF

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT