ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Audacy to Shutter All-News WCBS-AM, New York; GKB to Lease Signal for ESPN New York

Not sure how I missed this thread yesterday but my wife mentioned this to me this AM. Been listening to WCBS news radio since the 80's. My mom turned me onto to it at the time. Never liked 1010 WINS and still have bad memories from high school when my dad used to drive me to school (he was a fan) and that stupid typewriter sound was on in the background. I was not a morning person at the time.

Gonna miss Craig Allen who is the best weather guy in the area. Sad day and end of an era. Hopefully some 880 talent move over to 1010 but not sure what I will listen to at this point. I do recall liking Scott Stanford (I think he was on 880 at one point - didn't realize he was on 1010 until I read this thread) so I may have to give 1010 a chance.

Anyone who doesn’t pay like $3 a month for Sirius XM to have 300 stations including almost every live sporting even including college football, and never listen to a commercial again, is a fool
It's a lot more than $3/month now. Intro rates are around double that, and you can get $9/month if you enjoy haggling & ball busting on the phone with minimum wage customer service agents for an hour or two

Not sure how I missed this thread yesterday but my wife mentioned this to me this AM. Been listening to WCBS news radio since the 80's. My mom turned me onto to it at the time. Never liked 1010 WINS and still have bad memories from high school when my dad used to drive me to school (he was a fan) and that stupid typewriter sound was on in the background. I was not a morning person at the time.

Gonna miss Craig Allen who is the best weather guy in the area. Sad day and end of an era. Hopefully some 880 talent move over to 1010 but not sure what I will listen to at this point. I do recall liking Scott Stanford (I think he was on 880 at one point - didn't realize he was on 1010 until I read this thread) so I may have to give 1010 a chance.
It’s said that is gone now.

But as previously mentioned I’m not listening to the regular radio anymore (other than Rutgers sports), so I can’t confirm.

That was WOR in our house.

“Rambling with Gambling” every morning.

Joan Hamburg

Dr. Meltzer - “Give him a t-shirt”
When I was a kid growing up, my Italian grandparents lived in the same apartment building.
Before walking to grammar school, I often stopped in to see them for a few minutes.
Often it seemed like my grandfather was talking to himself.
Years later I asked my mother why Nonno talked to himself.
She told me that Nonno would listen to WOR-710 and John Gambling.
Nonno would repeat what John Gambling said.
Nonno was teaching himself to sound like an American!

Yeah, but its a dry heat! Which I never thought made it any better. I will say Atlanta at 100 degrees and humid was just as bad!
Dry heat! Great marketing campaign if you ask me

He's starting to annoy me a little. I dont need to hear him sing songs during my 22 minutes to get the World.
I don't mind him singing and actually kind of like it. He does a lot of songs I've never heard. All the lawyer ads are what annoy me the most.

I don't mind him singing and actually kind of like it. He does a lot of songs I've never heard. All the lawyer ads are what annoy me the most.
Not to go off on a tangent, but, as a retired lawyer, I remember when lawyers didn't advertise and when all but a few lawyers refrained from seeking media attention. I often think those were better days.

Not to go off on a tangent, but, as a retired lawyer, I remember when lawyers didn't advertise and when all but a few lawyers refrained from seeking media attention. I often think those were better days.
I remember those days and agree.

Just out of curiosity, what caused you to move to LV initially? The desert heat would have been a known condition going into it, no?
Years ago, you had 2 or maybe 3 weeks of over 100 degrees in August-Sept and you can visit the other weeks. Now that’s it 3 months, it’s a different story. It’s also 10 degree hotter than in the past. I use to go to Vegas a lot.

Houston and Phoenix is about 10-15 degrees hotter than 30 years ago when I lived there. Climax deniers tell me there’s no difference even though they didn’t live there. See the article attached.

I do recall liking Scott Stanford (I think he was on 880 at one point - didn't realize he was on 1010 until I read this thread) so I may have to give 1010 a chance.
I used to work with him (and Russ Salzberg) when I was a college intern. Good dude, sharp as a tack in writing his bit, and a joy to work with. Wasn't at all surprised that WWE got him shortly after.

Years ago, you had 2 or maybe 3 weeks of over 100 degrees in August-Sept and you can visit the other weeks. Now that’s it 3 months, it’s a different story. It’s also 10 degree hotter than in the past. I use to go to Vegas a lot.

Houston and Phoenix is about 10-15 degrees hotter than 30 years ago when I lived there. Climax deniers tell me there’s no difference even though they didn’t live there. See the article attached.
Your attachment didn't come through.

Anyone who doesn’t pay like $3 a month for Sirius XM to have 300 stations including almost every live sporting even including college football, and never listen to a commercial again, is a fool
Well it’s more like $18 bucks a month now…. But point taken!

Just out of curiosity, what caused you to move to LV initially? The desert heat would have been a known condition going into it, no?
Wife’s family out here…. Gave it a try.
Every day in July was over 105
And August is trending the same.

Reactions: ClassOf02
What's your solution? The earths population has doubled in 40+ years. The article states the temperatures have risen due to population growth and overdevelopment. Shocker!
They mention San Antonio as a run away case…here in SA the temp
Is measured at the airport…mid runway…in 1973 our airport was in the boonies surrounded by vegetation but it is now surrounded by interstates and state highways and unabated growth.

People who live here and whine about temps in the 90s fail to realize that the avg temp here is 90 to 96 from the last week in May to mid sept and that is based on all data collected at SAT and wherever it was collected prior to the airport opening. Peak is right now.

Shocking. Heat islands are not new nor are they going away…ever. The histrionics amuses me. Frankly if it keeps Californians from moving here in droves, I’m all for making the article even more hysterical. 😎

Reactions: Section124
Is measured at the airport…mid runway…in 1973 our airport was in the boonies surrounded by vegetation but it is now surrounded by interstates and state highways and unabated growth.

People who live here and whine about temps in the 90s fail to realize that the avg temp here is 90 to 96 from the last week in May to mid sept and that is based on all data collected at SAT and wherever it was collected prior to the airport opening. Peak is right now.

Shocking. Heat islands are not new nor are they going away…ever. The histrionics amuses me. Frankly if it keeps Californians from moving here in droves, I’m all for making the article even more hysterical. 😎
Last month I drove from Bergen County to Middlesex County on the Garden State Parkway. Was 94 on my car temp gauge when I left. Was 109 at the intersection of 78 and GSP and back down to 92 in Middlesex. Shocker that the most congested and developed part of NJ was the hottest.

What's your solution? The earths population has doubled in 40+ years. The article states the temperatures have risen due to population growth and overdevelopment. Shocker!
The doubling was from 1950 to 1997; the next doubling isn't expected until 2059. Believe it or not, the earth's population is expected to peak in the 2080s due to falling fertility. The overdevelopment is growth in the use of fossil fuels, which can be reduced or even reversed if (and this is a big if) utility and industrial processes can be shifted to electricity using clean sources. There might (emphasize "might") be ways to remove carbon dioxide from the atmosphere. It's a bad problem, but it will be worse if we just throw up our hands and do nothing.

The doubling was from 1950 to 1997; the next doubling isn't expected until 2059. Believe it or not, the earth's population is expected to peak in the 2080s due to falling fertility. The overdevelopment is growth in the use of fossil fuels, which can be reduced or even reversed if (and this is a big if) utility and industrial processes can be shifted to electricity using clean sources. There might (emphasize "might") be ways to remove carbon dioxide from the atmosphere. It's a bad problem, but it will be worse if we just throw up our hands and do nothing.
My geography books in the late 70's said we had 4 B and we are now over 8 B. Look at the population growth since 1900. Even with reduced use of fossil fuels not sure how much that will help reduce temperatures. There will still be a tremendous population to support. Overdevelopment as a result is the bigger issue to me. Not sure how you reduce that. Luckily I will be gone by 2050. 😀

When I was a kid growing up, my Italian grandparents lived in the same apartment building.
Before walking to grammar school, I often stopped in to see them for a few minutes.
Often it seemed like my grandfather was talking to himself.
Years later I asked my mother why Nonno talked to himself.
She told me that Nonno would listen to WOR-710 and John Gambling.
Nonno would repeat what John Gambling said.
Nonno was teaching himself to sound like an American!
That is really cool.

My geography books in the late 70's said we had 4 B and we are now over 8 B. Look at the population growth since 1900. Even with reduced use of fossil fuels not sure how much that will help reduce temperatures. There will still be a tremendous population to support. Overdevelopment as a result is the bigger issue to me. Not sure how you reduce that. Luckily I will be gone by 2050. 😀

Is this a radio thread or a weather thread??? Pretty sure it started as a radio thread. Can you two make a U-Turn back to the weather thread!

Is this a radio thread or a weather thread??? Pretty sure it started as a radio thread. Can you two make a U-Turn back to the weather thread!
It wasn't us that changed the topic. You have been on this board long enough to know threads become something other than the original topic. That being said you are correct.

August 26th will be a sad day for NY radio. WCBS you will be missed. Thanks for all the great reporting over the years. They did a great job with 9/11, gave me all the news I needed to know during the power outage of Super Storm Sandy and so many other major new events. Here's hoping WINS can carry the torch.

Fossil fuel use is by far the greatest cause of increases in temperature. So the trick is to decouple fossil fuel use from development through use of cleaner sources of energy. In that way, we can have the development needed to support a larger population without making global warming even worse than it has to be.

Reactions: lakejj

Now if only there were a way to keep Texans from being there 😄

Fossil fuel use is by far the greatest cause of increases in temperature. So the trick is to decouple fossil fuel use from development through use of cleaner sources of energy. In that way, we can have the development needed to support a larger population without making global warming even worse than it has to be.
Still don't understand why anyone opposes this.

Some amazing solutions and breakthroughs being made every day. Even if you don't think climate change is a pressing issue, why wouldn't you want cleaner air, water, land ...

Reactions: lakejj

All yours. This Californian is happy staying put in California 😎

Reactions: retired711
I dunno. About 90% of the stations are mediocre to junk. To each there own.
I pay for Sirius but still listen to regular FM radio more than Sirius...especially when it comes to sports...prefer listening to Boomer in the mornings....and then local when I'm in Philly area (not a big fan of their teams, but their fanbase is probably the most loyal). I listen to Sirius more for specific music, music podcasts, but so much easier to press a button on FM (if it weren't for all the advertisements).

It wasn't us that changed the topic. You have been on this board long enough to know threads become something other than the original topic. That being said you are correct.

August 26th will be a sad day for NY radio. WCBS you will be missed. Thanks for all the great reporting over the years. They did a great job with 9/11, gave me all the news I needed to know during the power outage of Super Storm Sandy and so many other major new events. Here's hoping WINS can carry the torch.
WCBS was also the only one working during the blackout in 2003.

I pay for Sirius but still listen to regular FM radio more than Sirius...especially when it comes to sports...prefer listening to Boomer in the mornings....and then local when I'm in Philly area (not a big fan of their teams, but their fanbase is probably the most loyal). I listen to Sirius more for specific music, music podcasts, but so much easier to press a button on FM (if it weren't for all the advertisements).
I think it just folks' preferences and circumstances. I have less than a 30 minute commute so not much time to listen in the car. During the day meetings and calls take up time and in the evenings work and/or see whats on Hulu, Prime, etc. And, of course, need time for this site! 😁 Just not a lot to time to listen to all that content and the content this is interesting these days is moving to some Podcast format, which is more on-demand consumption, and easier to consume. In some ways, Sirius may go the way of television airways and cable except for live news, sports, and call in type formats.

I think it just folks' preferences and circumstances. I have less than a 30 minute commute so not much time to listen in the car. During the day meetings and calls take up time and in the evenings work and/or see whats on Hulu, Prime, etc. And, of course, need time for this site! 😁 Just not a lot to time to listen to all that content and the content this is interesting these days is moving to some Podcast format, which is more on-demand consumption, and easier to consume. In some ways, Sirius may go the way of television airways and cable except for live news, sports, and call in type formats.
A less than 30 minute commute in California? That's rare. Most of my contacts that work in/around San Jose have 1.5 plus hour commutes. That is insane-to live in such a beautiful place and spend that much time in the car.
Back to radio--I recall that there was a really fantastic college (or "pirate radio") station on the very "left" side of the dial (88.0-89.9) that played some really great punk rock music. Does that still exist?

EDIT- I think I found it-- Western Addition Radio-went belly up:

Last edited:

Good point about Sandy. Radio was huge during that time because even if you had power come back cable was out. Even Francesa was keeping the masses informed!

Reactions: Section124
Good point about Sandy. Radio was huge during that time because even if you had power come back cable was out. Even Francesa was keeping the masses informed!
Sandy and 9/11. Remember Howard Stern stayed on the air for a while, and was actually serious and giving updates/information.
I still like the local radio stations in Monmouth/Ocean counties that give updates on "major" local stories. In a strange sort of way it makes you feel somewhat connected to your smaller community, something that has been lost in the IOT (Internet of Things--which, ironically about connectivity), where everything seems national or global and the local items get drowned out.

Yes for 40 or so of the 50 years I lived in NJ I was a daily listener. Often several times a day.

On a unrelated note for those of us that are NJ news nerds Michael Aron passed.
Oh geez, really? Michael Aron was a must for NJ political coverage and NJ election night coverage.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Yes for 40 or so of the 50 years I lived in NJ I was a daily listener. Often several times a day.

On a unrelated note for those of us that are NJ news nerds Michael Aron passed.
I am so old that WCBS was not all-news yet when my family moved out of NYC during my mid-teenage years. WINS (which had been a rock station featuring Murray the K, the "fifth Beatle") was the only all-news station.

A less than 30 minute commute in California? That's rare. Most of my contacts that work in/around San Jose have 1.5 plus hour commutes. That is insane-to live in such a beautiful place and spend that much time in the car.
Back to radio--I recall that there was a really fantastic college (or "pirate radio") station on the very "left" side of the dial (88.0-89.9) that played some really great punk rock music. Does that still exist?

EDIT- I think I found it-- Western Addition Radio-went belly up:

1.5 hours is likely an outlier. Depends, of course, on the two points to connect. The middle of the bell curve is about 45 mins to 1 an hour. Also, with hybrid, some days are faster and others are same as pre-pandemic. I did 1.5 hours in NJ and said "never again." I knew it was cost a bit more but just managed to it and it worked out. It is doable, but it does depend on risk tolerance an individual has relative to their overall circumstances.

I think that radio station is now gone. On that side of the dial is public radio, a christian rock station and an international station last I checked. It has, however, been a while as these days mostly on pods unless I am getting traffic info or listening to the live sports.

Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT