ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Bob Wischusen Jets announcer link to NJ state cross country championships

newell138

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2001
Ocean City NJ via South Brunswick and Denville
interesting story for any HS cross country fans or fans of Bob Wischusen in general. His son, Jimmy is a sophomore at Union Catholic and one of the best milers and cross country runners in his grade level in the country. He finished 2nd yesterday in the Non Public A championships, running one of the fastest times ever on that course for a sophomore, while his team won both boys and girls championships, beating CBA, which is very hard to do. Anyone who follows HS XC in NJ knows CBA are like the Yankees, since 1980, they have probably only lost about 4-5 times.

Saturday is the meet of champions, top 2 teams and 10 individuals from each group plus top 8 fastest teams overall as wildcards will compete head to head in one of the few sports where we truly have an outright state champion. Its basically the top 18 teams in the state and top individuals not on a team all running head to head. Believe it or not the crowds are pretty large, thousands of people cheering and screaming all over the course with an intense atmosphere for those who have never seen it. Should be a great race with North Hunterdon, Ridge, Haddonfield, Union Catholic and CBA all expected to compete for the team title. This is the first year in a long time CBA is not the prohibitive favorite.

interesting story for any HS cross country fans or fans of Bob Wischusen in general. His son, Jimmy is a sophomore at Union Catholic and one of the best milers and cross country runners in his grade level in the country. He finished 2nd yesterday in the Non Public A championships, running one of the fastest times ever on that course for a sophomore, while his team won both boys and girls championships, beating CBA, which is very hard to do. Anyone who follows HS XC in NJ knows CBA are like the Yankees, since 1980, they have probably only lost about 4-5 times.

Saturday is the meet of champions, top 2 teams and 10 individuals from each group plus top 8 fastest teams overall as wildcards will compete head to head in one of the few sports where we truly have an outright state champion. Its basically the top 18 teams in the state and top individuals not on a team all running head to head. Believe it or not the crowds are pretty large, thousands of people cheering and screaming all over the course with an intense atmosphere for those who have never seen it. Should be a great race with North Hunterdon, Ridge, Haddonfield, Union Catholic and CBA all expected to compete for the team title. This is the first year in a long time CBA is not the prohibitive favorite.

My uncle ran for the last team to beat CBA (my hs alma mater btw) in a dual meet……in the 70s…

Last dual meet loss for CBA was in 1974, talk about domination.
My HS did not lose a dual meet from 1972-1980, started with my older brother and ended the year after I graduated Multiple group state championships in that time and 2 Meet of Champ victories. Unfortunately our coach left in 1979 to pursue a career that actually pays money and that was the end of our dynasty. I felt if he stayed, we could have been CBA for however long he was around

Reactions: Scarlet1984
Played golf with Bob a couple of times. Extremely nice guy.

If you ever get the chance, ask him the story about when he announced a WNBA game involving I think the Detroit Shock and the NY Liberty. A bit racy, but hysterical.

Reactions: newell138
Last dual meet loss for CBA was in 1974, talk about domination.
They have won 30 group state championships since 1976, so in 45 years they have only lost 15 times! The only other team dominating like that is Eastern in field hockey

30 - Non Public A: 1976 1978 1979 1980 1982 1986 1987 1991 1992 1993 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2016 2017 2018 2019

That should be a great race. Atmosphere at Holmdel is always fun.

CBA has been annoyingly dominant and well-coached/trained.

BTW it seems like it was 1973 (not 1974) when Raritan beat CBA in that duel meet. (Don’t get me started on how moronic, confusing and pointless it is to have the high school in Hazlet named “Raritan”.)

Reactions: newell138
That should be a great race. Atmosphere at Holmdel is always fun.

CBA has been annoyingly dominant and well-coached/trained.

BTW it seems like it was 1973 (not 1974) when Raritan beat CBA in that duel meet. (Don’t get me started on how moronic, confusing and pointless it is to have the high school in Hazlet named “Raritan”.)
Yes…. My Uncle ran for raritan that year. Monmouth U. HOF

My uncle ran for the last team to beat CBA (my hs alma mater btw) in a dual meet……in the 70s…

Raritan, SJV and CBA were all really good that year. SJV beat them both and won States. Greg Gibbs and your uncle had a great HS rivalry and ran together at Monmouth.

Reactions: gman500
Raritan, SJV and CBA were all really good that year. SJV beat them both and won States. Greg Gibbs and your uncle had a great HS rivalry and ran together at Monmouth.
RBC wasn't too shabby either.

I saw the results from Saturday. Some impressive times.

Three girls ran under 18 minutes. And one was just over 17:00, which is super fast for a girl. For reference, prior to this year, there were only 21 girls who'd run under 18:00, so three in one year is a lot.

One of the top girls lives more or less around the corner and what's really cool is she's also basically the best player on her HS basketball team (1,000 point scorer already) - pretty rare to see an XC runner play another sport (although you do get the soccer kids who run distance in track).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT