ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Brandon Marshall to Jets?

bitnez

All American
Gold Member
Jan 18, 2006
Adam Schefter reporting its done pending a physical. Only gave up a late round pick.

They still need someone to throw him the ball.

Get him that, and it's a good move.

this probably means they will not be drafting a WR at the 6 spot...more chance of the giants getting Cooper or White.

Agree they won't draft WR at #6 now, although I think Cooper is the best or 2nd best player (Williams) in the draft.

Originally posted by SAE96:
I think Nick Foles is their next Qb.
The Jets should absolutely trade the 6th pick for Foles and other picks if their goal is to have a mediocre QB run their team.

Originally posted by Ty Webb:
The Jets should absolutely trade the 6th pick for Foles and other picks if their goal is to have a mediocre QB run their team.
What's the alternative? I like getiting Foles as QB and LOVE the Marshall trade - guy is a stud (if not a headcase too).

Originally posted by Saint Puppy:

What's the alternative? I like getiting Foles as QB and LOVE the Marshall trade - guy is a stud (if not a headcase too).
The headcase thing ended with Marshall a couple of years ago. He was diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) in 2011 and has ongoing treatment.

Also means Percy Harvin contract won't be picked up. Marshall/Decker combination is not a bad one, but as someone above said, still need someone to throw them the ball.

I don't know but Foles is an average QB.

The problem with getting Foles is that you're tied to a mediocre QB for another 5 years and likely forego drafting someone to build your franchise on during that time. Foles is Sanchez 2.0.

I haven't closed the book on Geno Smith. People writeoff QBs in an instant these days. It's the most difficult position in sports to play and requires a lot of growth and football experience. Smith came from a spread college attack that requires minimal QB reads and understanding. Mariota will have the same learning curve when he gets to the NFL. If the Jets get Foles in a trade with the Eagles it will be a very good move. Trade down, keep a 1st round pick, get a potential starting QB and probably another pretty high draft pick. It would work out well for the Jets if they were able to make that move. I really like RB Melvin Gordon from Wisconsin and would hope the Jets could get him later in the 1st round .

Jets should get better offensively in positions other than QB thru this year's draft and then target Connor Cooke next year.

Originally posted by Rutgerskid80:
this probably means they will not be drafting a WR at the 6 spot...more chance of the giants getting Cooper or White.
My first thought as well.

Originally posted by RU09FOOTBALL:

The headcase thing ended with Marshall a couple of years ago. He was diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) in 2011 and has ongoing treatment.
Well aware of this - great 'A Football Life' on him on the NFL network. When I say headcase I mean a disruptive force, because he certainly still can be that.

I don't know but Foles is an average QB.
I'm not sure what Foles is at this point - had a special year the year before this one and seemed to regress this year. That being said he is the best option IMO because there are no free agent heroes, Geno scares me to death and I'm not a big fan of the Mariotta learning curve. The Jets have a dangerous WR corp if they can retain everyone, and I just see Geno making Jets fans pull their hair out.

Originally posted by RutgersSam:
The problem with getting Foles is that you're tied to a mediocre QB for another 5 years and likely forego drafting someone to build your franchise on during that time. Foles is Sanchez 2.0.
Why would you be tied to Foles for 5 years? First of all his contract is up after this year. Secondly, trading for him doesn't preclude the Jets from drafting a QB at some point and developing the old fashioned way, sitting behind a veteran starter for a year or two.

Originally posted by mikebal9:

Originally posted by RutgersSam:
Why would you be tied to Foles for 5 years? First of all his contract is up after this year. Secondly, trading for him doesn't preclude the Jets from drafting a QB at some point and developing the old fashioned way, sitting behind a veteran starter for a year or two.
Because the Jets have proven to be horrible at evaluating QBs. If Foles is a stop gap, then it's a good move. But I remain skeptical the Jets would not sign him to a long term contract.

Originally posted by Rutgerskid80:
This post makes no sense at all. The Bears pick 7th. So instead of Cooper going at 6, he'll go at 7. This doesn't help the Giants at all.

Foles is better than Sanchez by far, IMO. He needs to be protected by the OL but doesn't almost every NFL QB ? If I'm the Jets Im happy to have him on the roster as my starter. Geno can be his backup.

Could Brandon Marshall be Santonio Holmes Part Deux for the Jets ? Another problem child WR that teams are happy to sell off cheap. If he is such a team asset then why so cheap ? Very skeptical on this move.

Nova?.....
smile.r191677.gif

Marshall is a stud and has been on good behavior for the past few years. His biggest issue is he had bad hands. Drops a lot of easy passes that will drive jets fans nuts. But he is a playmaker, no doubt about that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT