ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Breaking Away

One of my favorite coming of age movies filmed in Bloomington in the late 70's. Love their school song. I hope they play it ad we pummel them.

Definitely one of those "under the radar" movies that you don't realize how good it is, until you watch it some years later.

While not exactly a "True Story" - it is deeply rooted in real experiences and events - they really did have a regular "Little 500" bicycle race at IU
- have a friend who was there at the time - told me that the movie used all of the regular participating frats as 'extras' to comprise the racing field - but his frat team was really good & got replaced by the actors playing the dominant 'frat team' .

My daughter lived in the sorority house where they filmed the scene of Dave serenading Katherine. The House is located on E. 3rd Street.

Reactions: cicero grimes
"Them's my french fries!"

That's one of my all time favorite movies.

Reactions: 17Q66
I was in high school when this movie came out. I remember seeing it with a female acquaintance of mine, who happened to be wearing a denim skirt and button-down blouse for the occasion.

Basketball flick, right?

Reactions: mychaljohn
I was in high school when this movie came out. I remember seeing it with a female acquaintance of mine, who happened to be wearing a denim skirt and button-down blouse for the occasion.

Basketball flick, right?
I remember when Olympic 10,000m runner, Billy Mills, showed up for his college work study groundskeeper job only to find out that the sprinklers in the football stadium we're on a timer. Later on, he slept with his TA, between practices with Penny Hardaway and Shaq.

I remember when Olympic 10,000m runner, Billy Mills, showed up for his college work study groundskeeper job only to find out that the sprinklers in the football stadium we're on a timer. Later on, he slept with his TA, between practices with Penny Hardaway and Shaq.
076a.jpg

blue-chips-year-1994-director-william-friedkin-shaquille-o-neal-nick-A1J4HN.jpg

As OP my next number will be a thread about the movie Diner the next time we play at Maryland..Another classic with many classic scenes and lines but none better than "I'll hit you so hard I"ll kill your whole family !!!!"

Reactions: PaKnight
"With a red hot poker..."
OK, imagine that soft feminine voice of Robby Benson, disturbing in its Marilyn Monroe-like quality, leaning in from across the desk to say this to The Godfather senator from Nevada turned basketball coach:

“Coach, about the scholarship. All the way up with a red hot poker. I can play anywhere I want.”

One on One was pretty bad compared to BA...but I still watched it a few times...those movies always suck me in...

One movie that wasn't so good but I always liked a lot was Vision Quest...not
sure why but a real coming of age favorite way back...hell Madonna wasn't even a hag yet in it...

Movie came out in 1979, sophomore year in HS. My best friend Jon was training to race bicycles. He wanted to be the first American to win the Tour de France. Kid could fly. Was so strong he cracked a couple of cranks, and wore out bottom bracket races.

Breaking Away was his movie. We saw it at least three times that year. On 08NOV79, a Thursday and teacher work day/no school, we were supposed to go on a traing ride at 9:00am. I overslept, he went without me. He was killed on Jockey Hollow Road by an 18 wheeler that morning. I had a hard time watching the movie about 10 years ago. Sorry for being a downer, but a great movie for sure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT