ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Can anyone explain Miami being ranked so high?

jOmega

Redshirt
Nov 1, 2001
They've beaten an average Florida team and no one else. Not sure this has been discussed but what the hell?

You still have to prove it on the field. They haven't beaten anybody.
Unfortunately with the farce that is preseason rankings and the fact that each week's rankings are made using the previous week's rankings as a starting point, everyone doesn't start on equal footing. Miami started the season already ranked, so rather than most teams having to win their way into the rankings, Miami just has to not lose their way out of them. Crazy how you can go from losing the Bad Boy Mowers Pinstripe Bowl to being ranked 19th with no games played in between.

I remember going on a rant about this two years ago when Texas A&M was ranked 24th after two games with a win over Sam Houston and a loss to Appalachian State. If they didn't start already ranked, there isn't one person in the world who would look at that record and say they deserved to be ranked.

Last edited:
new QB is legit. He was deciding between Miami and FSU and Miami had more NIL and FSU got the bad one.

Reactions: BLewis1968

No one expected Florida to suck the way they have. Pollsters are expecting them to prove it on the field. They've beaten everyone on their schedule, so far, and they are loaded with NFL talent. Just look at the talent they’ve landed in their recruiting classes. They paid $2M for their qb. The only question is how well would their offensive line do against a Georgia or Texas or Ohio State. But they’ve got a decent shot at winning the ACC.

They've beaten an average Florida team and no one else. Not sure this has been discussed but what the hell?
Very simple. Name brand and recognition. It's very similar to Notre Dame. There were some years ND had bad seasons. But would open up the following year top 10 or so. Get two or three wins and suddenly top 5. Only to lose and drop out of the top 25....but repeat the cycle next year and preseason top 10..because of their name.

The early rankings are weird. Look - there’s an article floating out there about what it would take for Rutgers to get ranked even with a win. The UofL vs ND loser didn’t even get a mention in there as a possible team that could drop out. The RU vs Wash winner (whoever it is) in any logical world would clearly be ahead of any 3-2 team with a signature win over Purdue and a loss to NI.

Reactions: Plum Street
You could say the same thing about a bunch of teams. OSU hasn't even played a P4 team yet and they're ranked 3. They've played Akron, WMU and Marshall. Oregon struggled against Idaho and Boise State. These things sort themselves out over time and when you say someone shouldn't be ranked so high you also have to have alternatives of who should move up and be ranked higher and what have they done.

Cam Ward has looked good to date.

Boise State, at 25, while we didn't even get a vote, makes no sense. Boise is 2-1 with wins over GA Southern, and Portland St. WTF? Is their quality loss, at Oregon, better than our quality WIN at Va Tech?

Reactions: robcac26
Hype
Swag
Rating$

But this year, they're actually legit
Cam Ward and that nasty D, in a weak ACC

Unfortuantely for them, they still have Mario
Great recruiter, subpar at best coach

If they don't win the league this year, it'll be a miracle

AP rankings don’t really have much meaning now. The playoff committee rankings which wisely begin in Nov are the rankings that matter. Rankings at this point are more for debate and ego gratification.

Rankings are mostly meaningless until November.
Hype polls come out and get thrown to fans like a fish to a seal.
Its been a genius way to keep fans dialed-in week to week

With so few good OOC matchups, there shouldn't be rankings until the middle of October. Conference play has to begin to see meaningful games.

OR just stick with the Preseason rankings until week 5. You might get some anomalies like FSU this year but you can't accurately judge.

Reactions: newell138
AP rankings don’t really have much meaning now. The playoff committee rankings which wisely begin in Nov are the rankings that matter. Rankings at this point are more for debate and ego gratification.
Yea and I’ve said they serve the purpose or building hype and attention for the early season games.

I like them. It doesn’t matter if someone is over ranked early on or not. I tend to gravitate toward those ranked games and if they turn out to be duds, I move on to othe games. Not a big deal.

The difference between this Miami team and the one RU beat is night and day. Some of their better players opted out of that game.
He’s built a team with NIL, that’s sort of a Texas-lite as far as talent.

He’s got a qb now and solid coordinators. If he stays out of his own way, they have a very good shot at the ACC. Clemson and Louisville probably are the ones to challenge. I never trust Cristobal fully.

The hard part of the schedule is over. Now it's just the in conference ACC games, Louisville is the only decent team left until the ACC championship game.

• Haha
Reactions: rutgersguy1
The hard part of the schedule is over. Now it's just the in conference ACC games.
Well that's part of the deal though. When people make fun of the ACC/B12, I say there's opportunity there for those teams with the expanded CFP. They compete against schools of similar resources for the most part so they can do things they've never done before. They have a real shot at the playoffs this year and have a chance to get more attention/notoriety than they have in about a generation. Cristobal is the x factor though imo.

QB is very good! Am very interested to see how that game goes tonight. Would love to VT win but doubt it

I hate that people start to cry about the rankings early then say team X hasn't played anyone. Update for you, nearly everyone has played against two crappy teams. Wake up! College Football has been this way for years!

Last edited:
Reactions: BLewis1968
They are a name brand, even if they haven't been a top team for a long time, those programs always get a boost in the rankings, by the so-called experts, when they start looking good .

Reactions: noble106
Well that's part of the deal though. When people make fun of the ACC/B12, I say there's opportunity there for those teams with the expanded CFP. They compete against schools of similar resources for the most part so they can do things they've never done before. They have a real shot at the playoffs this year and have a chance to get more attention/notoriety than they have in about a generation. Cristobal is the x factor though imo.
I always hate when people say you have to beat the best to be the best. That's for the playoffs not the regular season. In college football all you have to do is win against the teams put in front of you. Miami's schedule is crap and they'll be considered one of the best this year because no one will remember they won against crap. Yet we have people on here who say we need to schedule a tougher OOC schedule.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT