ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Car question

Southern Gentleman

All American
Aug 10, 2011
Y’all are much smarter than I am so I am asking a serious question here. I am retired now and my wife, Judy, and I own 2 cars. Hers is paid for, mine is not. I have an 2019 Infiniti Q50 turbo 3.0 that i owe maybe 15k on. 14,000 miles. I paid 29k new.

Since we rarely go anywhere separately, I am thinking of selling my car back to the dealer for close to what I paid for it, maybe more nowadays, then using my equity to fund travel or for investment. I am now driving about 500 miles a month.

Her car is a 2016 Acura RDX that is paid for with 30,000 miles and in good condition.

When car prices drop next year, i hope, I was thinking about a very used truck to purchase since I am having difficulty getting in and out of a sedan because of my knee replacement surgery.

what is the smart move? Buying season tickets to Rutgers games? Selling the car?

Highest used car prices you'll ever see. I'm getting 1 or 2 mailings per offering outrageous trade in values on a new car and excellent prices on a cash deal. But I drive my cars into the ground so it's no go.

Y’all are much smarter than I am so I am asking a serious question here. I am retired now and my wife, Judy, and I own 2 cars. Hers is paid for, mine is not. I have an 2019 Infiniti Q50 turbo 3.0 that i owe maybe 15k on. 14,000 miles. I paid 29k new.

Since we rarely go anywhere separately, I am thinking of selling my car back to the dealer for close to what I paid for it, maybe more nowadays, then using my equity to fund travel or for investment. I am now driving about 500 miles a month.

Her car is a 2016 Acura RDX that is paid for with 30,000 miles and in good condition.

When car prices drop next year, i hope, I was thinking about a very used truck to purchase since I am having difficulty getting in and out of a sedan because of my knee replacement surgery.

what is the smart move? Buying season tickets to Rutgers games? Selling the car?
2019 Infiniti Q50 turbo 3.0 in Arkansas and you don't get whooped by other locals? 😜

If you have knee problems, getting a truck or SUV is a great idea (not talking about your financials, just for personal comfort). I'm very tall. Once I moved from a sedan to an SUV, never going back (unless I get a mid-life crisis sports car).

Take the money,especially if you don't drive much and other car is in tip top shape.
Have the 2016 Acura RDX checked out thoroughly \by a mechanic you trust. The whole car, breaks, trans, engine , suspension and so on.
This way after the sale, the likelihood of a surprise will be minimal .
You'll be saving money on dropping the auto insurance covering the 2019 Infiniti and that should help pay the car check expense.
If something looks wrong with wife's , sell that ASAP and keep the Infiniti, if you can get a good price for

Reactions: Southern Gentleman
2019 Infiniti Q50 turbo 3.0 in Arkansas and you don't get whooped by other locals? 😜

If you have knee problems, getting a truck or SUV is a great idea (not talking about your financials, just for personal comfort). I'm very tall. Once I moved from a sedan to an SUV, never going back (unless I get a mid-life crisis sports car).
Lol. Not getting whipped by any local. It can outrun most other cars. Financially, I am doing ok. I just think it doesn’t make sense to keep it when I could make better use of that money somewhere else.

BTW, I get favorable comments on the Q50 almost every week.

Take the money,especially if you don't drive much and other car is in tip top shape.
Have the 2016 Acura RDX checked out thoroughly \by a mechanic you trust. The whole car, breaks, trans, engine , suspension and so on.
This way after the sale, the likelihood of a surprise will be minimal .
You'll be saving money on dropping the auto insurance covering the 2019 Infiniti and that should help pay the car check expense.
If something looks wrong with wife's , sell that ASAP and keep the Infiniti, if you can get a good price for
Sound advice!

Buddy of mine had a 2018 Lexus for his wife with 2 months left on her lease. Found a 2018 BMW wife wanted and made 6k on the Lexus by buying/selling it before the lease expired. You should do VERY well on the Q50 in today's market.

Sound advice!

One other factor. Sounds like you've got a good credit rating. They will likely go nuts trying to get you into a new car that your rating qualifies you for while getting a late model trade they can unload on someone with lower score.

Have you thought about buying an electric car?....

Price that very used truck now and you may have second thoughts on the whole situation. $$$$

Older cars/trucks with fewer sensors are going to be popular. Coronavirus era cars have quality control issues. Recent Ford F-150 got recalled because a part breaks and it loses steering. Tesla brake caliper bolts burst and flatten tires They've been redesigning cars on the fly since they couldn't get sensors. If there's a war over Taiwan ( as many are predicting) your talking 95% of sensor production ( TSMC) going down. Repairs could get hard with the inevitable sensor issues.

SG, Ford is coming out with a new pick-up truck, the Maverick for only $20,000. Should be in the dealers by late September-October. It is a hybrid. Don’t know how much stuff you carry around, but it is a four door with a smallish four and a half feet bed. If I needed a new vehicle and didn’t have a twelve and a half foot kayak, I would buy one tomorrow.

Have a client that paid off his Jeep Grand Cherokee, then turned around and sold it to Carvana for $7,000 more than the pay off.

SG, Ford is coming out with a new pick-up truck, the Maverick for only $20,000. Should be in the dealers by late September-October. It is a hybrid. Don’t know how much stuff you carry around, but it is a four door with a smallish four and a half feet bed. If I needed a new vehicle and didn’t have a twelve and a half foot kayak, I would buy one tomorrow.
That would work for me!

Lol. Not getting whipped by any local. It can outrun most other cars. Financially, I am doing ok. I just think it doesn’t make sense to keep it when I could make better use of that money somewhere else.

BTW, I get favorable comments on the Q50 almost every week.
Those comments are the"whoops"

The lease on my 2017 BMW ran out last August. I was told by the "experts" they would never negotiate the lease buyout price. They gave it to me for $6k below the buyout price and I can now sell it for the same residual price of $6k higher.
Now is certainly the time to make your play if going to do.

Buy season tix, come to a game and sell it up here for more! and then make your way back.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT