ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Chicago Style Pizza Places Around Piscataway?

mildone

Legend
Dec 19, 2011
What would the off-season be without a pizza thread?

I've been having a craving for Chicago style deep dish pizza. The only place I know of that makes them in NJ is Uno Pizzeria & Grill. But the only location around Piscataway (Rt 1 in Edison) is no longer there. There are Unos in Clifton and Hamilton, which are doable but a little far for grabbing a quick pizza.

Anybody know of a pizza place that specializes, or at least makes, a good, traditional Chicago style pizza?

Chicago style is different from deep-dish pizza (which, at most pizza places, winds up being more like a Sicilian pie but round) or pan-pizza (which can vary from restaurant to restaurant, sometimes with a thinner crust, sometimes thicker, but always made in a pan). A Chicago style pizza has more of a flaky, buttery crust and typically layered cheese and other other toppings.

If I can’t locate a place that makes decent ones in NJ, I’ll give Giordano’s shipped pies a shot.
Chicago style pizza has jumped the shark.

It has been replaced by Detroit style pizza, check it out.
I actually had Chicago style pizza in, or near, Detroit years ago. Was really good. But I never had Detroit style pizza. Will have to try it.

Reactions: Section124
What is the difference between Detroit and Chicago style pizza?

A Chicago-style slice is built upon a flaky, thin, deep crust similar to a traditional pie.On the other hand, Detroit-style pizza relies on a thick and fluffy crust reminiscent of focaccia. A Detroit-style crust stands out among other crusts thanks to its airier texture and cheesy, crispy underside.Jul 14, 2021

Detroit-style pizza is a thick, square-cut pizza with a crunchy, fried bottom layer of crust overflowing with delicious melted cheese. Like most rectangular pan pizzas served in America, Detroit-style pizza is a variation of the Sicilian pizza.

Pizza Snooki GIF

Reactions: mildone
I am surprised no one in Jersey has tackled Chicago style deep dish. I can't think of any at all besides Uno's. One of the best Detroit styles here is Blue Steel as mentioned above.

Reactions: mildone and Jm0513
Chicago pizza only in Chicago. Capisce? In NJ? Chicago-"style" pizza? Fuggeddaboutit.... Just... fuggeddaboutit....
There's no doubt that one can get better Chicago style deep dish pizza in Chicago (it's fantastic); however, Uno's is still quite good for what it is and I miss that place no longer being on Route 1. I'd also be interested to know if there are decent places in NJ for this...

If I can’t locate a place that makes decent ones in NJ, I’ll give Giordano’s shipped pies a shot.
I actually had Chicago style pizza in, or near, Detroit years ago. Was really good. But I never had Detroit style pizza. Will have to try it.
There is a place in Aberdeen that has very good Detroit pizza, Alternate Ending. It's a brewery too. Great beer, their beer master is from Other Half.

There is a place in Aberdeen that has very good Detroit pizza, Alternate Ending. It's a brewery too. Great beer, their beer master is from Other Half.
They just started doing bar pies there as well. Really like it there. Was super smart of them to partner with Talulas on the food. Their Detroit style is a tad thicker than some of the others I've had but still really good.

Can't wait for Lita to open up next door also. Chef Viana opening it from Heirloom Kitchen and St. Laurent.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ronnie_B
They just started doing bar pies there as well. Really like it there. Was super smart of them to partner with Talulas on the food. There Detroit style is a tad thicker than some of the others I've had but still really good.

Can't wait for Lita to open up next door also. Chef Viana opening it from Heirloom Kitchen and St. Laurent.
I saw the pies but I'm being a good boy till I lose some pounds, but that might be the first thing I try when I've had enough of being good.

Reactions: Zak57
Where actually is this place? Is it relatively new or been a around?

Wife’s family is from Matawan.

There is a secret Pizza Lasagna place right behind the RAC - see the map below.
Pretty sure all the Chicago Style "Pizza" is in there.
#ThinCrust4Life

Fire Trash GIF

Reactions: Kbee3
I am surprised no one in Jersey has tackled Chicago style deep dish. I can't think of any at all besides Uno's. One of the best Detroit styles here is Blue Steel as mentioned above.
Probably because it's a one or the other choice. Seems a bit much to be making two different types of pizza dough every day.

It’s funny to see Detroit style so popular now. I used to go to Troy Michigan monthly from 2008-2010 working on a project. It was our drunk pizza after a night out. So greasy it was great. Coming from NJ we used to make fun of it at the time as a Sicilian knock off.

Reactions: Knightmoves
I would think NJ would have a few more strategically mixed in, but I'm more surprised you don't see DD more around the rest of the country. Jersey has a forever allegiance to thin crust and does it better than anyone, but most of the country does it terribly.

Deep dish is more forgiving than thin crust, ime. It doesnt have to be a top notch Chicago pie to still be pretty good. So many pizzerias outside the tri-state make garbage thin crust, but they could probably make a decent deep dish.

Guess it's cheaper, easier and better market to go traditional tc, though.

Ordered pies from Lou Malnati’s for a Christmas gift. They were GREAT. Can’t imagine shipping NyC pizza and it tasting as good as Chicago. Felt like we were at a bar there.
Went to Chicago when I had the day off after the Clemson win in the 2021 tourney in Indy and sampled a bunch of the best that that town had to offer in 24 hours before the Houston game, including a fantastic pie at the bar at Lou Malnati's before heading back to Indy. Also, stopped at Johnny's in Elmwood where I had a combo sandwich of sausage and Italian beef on a perfect Italian roll and later that day I had two Chicago style hot dogs at Billy Goat's Tavern (which SNL made famous) - possibly the best hot dogs I've ever had. Need to go back, lol.

Went to Chicago when I had the day off after the Clemson win in the 2021 tourney in Indy and sampled a bunch of the best that that town had to offer in 24 hours before the Houston game, including a fantastic pie at the bar at Lou Malnati's before heading back to Indy. Also, stopped at Johnny's in Elmwood where I had a combo sandwich of sausage and Italian beef on a perfect Italian roll and later that day I had two Chicago style hot dogs at Billy Goat's Tavern (which SNL made famous) - possibly the best hot dogs I've ever had. Need to go back, lol.

🤮 🤮 🤮
Ugh. Don't know what's worse - Chicago style "Pizza" or "Hot Dog".

Save yourself the trip and just hit up Jimmy Buffs.

This whole thread is giving me same feelings as watching the Maryland Game hahaahaha

Detroit style pizza must be a relatively new thing.
My wife grew up in Michigan near Ann Arbor and never heard of it.

On the other hand, both Dominos and little Caesar’s originated in Michigan.

The best Chicago pizza that I had was Labriola's on Michigan Avenue. It was even better than Lou Malnati's (which had the best salad).

haven't tried it yet, but Emmett's in NYC I heard was legit

Wish Lou Malnati's would open a location around here. One of the best pizza's I've ever had and the best sausage by far. And that buttery, croissant like crust was insane.

haven't tried it yet, but Emmett's in NYC I heard was legit

Wish Lou Malnati's would open a location around here. One of the best pizza's I've ever had and the best sausage by far. And that buttery, croissant like crust was insane.
Heard same. They also opened Emmett's on Grove which does Chicago tavern style pizza.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT