ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Chip Kelly resigned from UCLA and is expected to be named the new OC at Ohio State.

Posted a bunch of stuff on it in the carousel thread but these are some of the names I’ve seen as possible candidates for UCLA.

Tom Herman, PJ Fleck, Barry Odom, Matt Campbell are some experienced HC names I’ve seen mentioned.

Will Stein Oregon OC and Ryan Grubb Alabama OC and Tony White Nebraska DC and D’Anton Lynn USC DC are non HCs I’ve seen mentioned.

I like Odom and Campbell out of the HCs, they’ve demonstrated being able to do more with less and won decently in tough situations. I could see Herman though because of the OSU connnection with UCLA AD Jarmond.

Out of the non HCs I like Grubb. He’s coached at Fresno before too.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Posted a bunch of stuff on it in the carousel thread but these are some of the names I’ve seen as possible candidates for UCLA.

Tom Herman, PJ Fleck, Barry Odom, Matt Campbell are some experienced HC names I’ve seen mentioned.

Will Stein Oregon OC and Ryan Grubb Alabama OC and Tony White Nebraska DC and D’Anton Lynn USC DC are non HCs I’ve seen mentioned.

I like Odom and Campbell out of the HCs, they’ve demonstrated being able to do more with less and won decently in tough situations. I could see Herman though because of the OSU connnection with UCLA AD Jarmond.

Flood, Ash, Mel Tucker. . . .

You're slipping! 😜

Iirc, UCLA has lowest rated B1G recruiting class this year
He didn’t like to recruit and lack of NIL just added another layer on top of it.

That’s part of why I think someone like Campbell, even if from the Midwest, would be a good option for them. He’s won decently at a tough place to win at ISU and what he did this year considering all the players they lost to the gambling issue was very good.

If this hire was 10 years ago I think it would have been a home run hire. I just don't think his system and offense is as innovative as it was 10 years ago.
Well with the talent OSU has on offense and can acquire (like Judkins this offseason) I think he could be fine. He mostly can concentrate on the offense without the added stuff as HC or recruiting responsibility.

UCLA’s offense was near the top of the country two years ago.

Well with the talent OSU has on offense and can acquire (like Judkins this offseason) I think he could be fine. He mostly can concentrate on the offense without the added stuff as HC or recruiting responsibility.

UCLA’s offense was near the top of the country two years ago.
F chip kelly

Reactions: newell138
Did I read that right ? Does he have a $1.5 billion buyout with UCLA ?

Why would he leave a HC position in what will now be the B1G for an OC? Is it a straight money grab where OSU is paying him a ton?

Reactions: AM ClocksPF
Why would he leave a HC position in what will now be the B1G for an OC? Is it a straight money grab where OSU is paying him a ton?
I don’t think so. It was just a marriage of convenience for the time being. He didn’t want to be there but couldn’t find a landing spot and they wanted to let him go but didn’t want to pay to fire him. Now he found a landing spot so they parted.

Took a demotion to GTFO…just has to worry about offense…clearly a retirement gig…the portal has done a nice job of weeding out those that are unwilling (Jimbo) or seemingly unable or both (CK)…relics that have to go.

It’s practically Darwinian!

Last edited:
Getting out of Dodge before being kicked out and that would hurt him getting a good P-4 HC position
Ohio State has a good offense in 2024,2025 might bring Chip a good P-4 HC position with a top salary and at least 5 year contract
Day was in a bind and Kelly might be just a one year stopgap , getting OSU an OC Day knows and trusts while giving Kelly a job that can lead to a HC position in 2025.
Day probably is forgoing OSU's usual 2 year commitment rrom new assistants because he needs an OC bad and the pickings left on the table are not to his liking .
Kelly gets out of a job he feels will wind up hurting his career and going to one for the 2024 season ,even if at a lower position and salary., looking for it to increase his chances to get a good HC position in 2025 with a good salary and a 5 year ( minimum ) contact

Did I read that right ? Does he have a $1.5 billion buyout with UCLA ?
Andy Staples had mentioned 1.5M
I swear the first article I read about this had $1.5 billion.....which of course I couldn't believe.
But I reread the article again and it still said $1.5 billion.
$1.5 million makes sense...I guess.
Thanks.

F chip kelly
Confused-Jacksonville-Jaguars-fan-in-stands.gif

I live in Santa Monica and am a UCLA booster because my son was on the Bruin baseball team (many years ago). Besides my loyalty to RU I do follow UCLA football, and can say that Chip is/was a very poor recruiter. Yes, it's hard to recruit against USC, Oregon, and Washington, but Chip's efforts were pretty weak.

David Shaw would be a good candidate if he's ready to get back in. Saw his name mentioned on X.

Last edited:
A lot of these recent moves have been strange on the surface but probably just a sign of the times resulting from the continued turmoil attributable to the new paradigm around player procurement. Clearly Hafley did not want to deal with it anymore and it appear Chip was tired of it as well. Yeah you can say these guys were on thin ice anyway but these moves did not happen previously. What gets lost is all the associated staff turmoil that occurs at this late date. These staffs have gotten so large that you assume that most of the support staff stays in tact but the 10 person position coaches are likely out of job late in the process. You wonder if Hafley and Kelly thought about how they were screwing these guys. And the cycle continues as BC and eventually UCLA likely poach staff from other schools.

Then Wink Martindale takes a Michigan DC job. I highly doubt he will be out there on the recruiting trail but again, in this environment that is probably less important to Michigan since they have a brand and NIL funds to continue to attract high profile players. Winks NFL experience will be a selling point but again I can't imagine him being out on the road recruiting.

I like the hire. What I don’t get is how he hires a guy running this Offense 10 days after hiring BOB who runs nothing similar. Pick a style and stick with it

I like the hire. What I don’t get is how he hires a guy running this Offense 10 days after hiring BOB who runs nothing similar. Pick a style and stick with it
Serious question. Does it really matter at a school like Ohio State that is littered with 4 and 5 star talent?

If this hire was 10 years ago I think it would have been a home run hire. I just don't think his system and offense is as innovative as it was 10 years ago.

BC doesn’t need innovative. They just need solid and competent, and that’s what this hire brings. As long as BC goes 6-6, their fanbase is happy.

A lot of these recent moves have been strange on the surface but probably just a sign of the times resulting from the continued turmoil attributable to the new paradigm around player procurement. Clearly Hafley did not want to deal with it anymore and it appear Chip was tired of it as well. Yeah you can say these guys were on thin ice anyway but these moves did not happen previously. What gets lost is all the associated staff turmoil that occurs at this late date. These staffs have gotten so large that you assume that most of the support staff stays in tact but the 10 person position coaches are likely out of job late in the process. You wonder if Hafley and Kelly thought about how they were screwing these guys. And the cycle continues as BC and eventually UCLA likely poach staff from other schools.

Then Wink Martindale takes a Michigan DC job. I highly doubt he will be out there on the recruiting trail but again, in this environment that is probably less important to Michigan since they have a brand and NIL funds to continue to attract high profile players. Winks NFL experience will be a selling point but again I can't imagine him being out on the road recruiting.

Hafley and Kelly were going to be fired, but the respective presidents didn’t want to pay the buyout, so they were skating on thin ice. Can’t blame them for leaving.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Serious question. Does it really matter at a school like Ohio State that is littered with 4 and 5 star talent?
Yes. If it didn’t mater they wouldn’t be playing their coordinators 1.5-2.5 million. My original guy was he wanted to go more pro to try and emulate Michigan’s recent success. But this is total opposite and I personally prefer it

#1 rushing offense in the country 2 years ago and #5 overall at UCLA. OSU has Henderson and Judkins in the backfield next year.

#1 rushing offense in the country 2 years ago and #5 overall at UCLA. OSU has Henderson and Judkins in the backfield next year.
Yes, he runs a very balanced offense and wants to run the ball. I’m not saying he just wants to throw but the style and formations and personal are very different

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT