ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Chip Kelly resigned from UCLA and is expected to be named the new OC at Ohio State.

Yes. If it didn’t mater they wouldn’t be playing their coordinators 1.5-2.5 million. My original guy was he wanted to go more pro to try and emulate Michigan’s recent success. But this is total opposite and I personally prefer it
But does Ohio State have the personal that Michigan had last year? I tend to agree with you to go with a style and stick with it. Aside from recruiting and sucking in every other aspect of coaching that was a huge problem for Ash when he was at Rutgers.

Chip Kelly, who was the UNH OC when UNH beat RU in 2004 in our stadium passes up the opportunity to do it again next year as UCLA HC by becoming OSU OC and putting off that opportunity until 2027 if he gets extended or lasts that long.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Chip will right the ship! I will be a board legend!!!
I’ve said this before but here you see it illustrated again in the tweet below. Saying someone is going to fail or be bad, especially at a lower totem pole schools isn’t remarkable. Odds are likely in your favor.

If you predicted CK was not going to work well at UCLA that would’ve been a good prediction. Everyone thought he was going to be great. Or if you said Jonathan Smith was going to be a great hire for Oregon State.

If someone has the resume’ worthy of being hired that’s what matters. After that it’s a crap shoot of who works and who doesn’t and you’re more likely to be wrong than right in your hiring.

Last edited:
But does Ohio State have the personal that Michigan had last year? I tend to agree with you to go with a style and stick with it. Aside from recruiting and sucking in every other aspect of coaching that was a huge problem for Ash when he was at Rutgers.
Yes and whatever they need they could get through the portal in 1 spring. You don’t think they could land the best available TE and FB in about 2 seconds?

Yes and whatever they need they could get through the portal in 1 spring. You don’t think they could land the best available TE and FB in about 2 seconds?
UGA just did lol. They got the TE from Stanford, considered best available, to replace Brock Bowers.

Reactions: vkj91
I loved Howard at KSU but i'm wondering if he will work at OSU with there lofty goals yearly. He isn't a Braxton Miller or JT Daniels type playmaker imo...I think Oregon will get them and i'll have to see how Michigan is playing come october. They should smash PSU

I've always followed UCLA since the 1980s and it just blows my mind the issues they continue to have. At minimum they shouldn't have an issue attracting talent due to there location hell even during this NIL period. Horrible leadership over the decades...

He didn’t like to recruit and lack of NIL just added another layer on top of it.

That’s part of why I think someone like Campbell, even if from the Midwest, would be a good option for them. He’s won decently at a tough place to win at ISU and what he did this year considering all the players they lost to the gambling issue was very good.
Most UCLA grads stay in Cali and the high housing prices and state income taxes have made them shy away from donations. I am not surprised that the NIL is lacking at UCLA.

Reactions: rutgersal
Interesting. He wasn’t mentioned on any sites I read. Never a head coach. But maybe he will hire strong coordinators.
His name was mentioned on multiple sites as a candidate but I didn't think he would be up there as a choice but some did say he was getting real consideration.

I think he was the popular choice among the team and it might reduce the chances of losing players to the portal as well. He's a UCLA alum so might not be wooed away as easily as others.

I think Campbell would have been a good option but they might not have the money to pay his 4M buyout. Could be true for other sitting HCs as well.

I would've gone for Tony White if that was the case but never know who will turn out to be good or not. I, and most people, didn't think Jedd Fisch was a great hire by Arizona at the time and he did a nice job for them. It's always a crap shoot. Will be interesting who he turns to for coordinators and see what kind of team they will be on offense/defense.

edit: also mentioned a bunch of the staff recently got 2 year deals so a majority of them may stay in place and save UCLA money on that front as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: MADHAT1
I always get a nervous when a school hires an existing assistant coach who the players are rallying around. Not saying they should not have a voice but if you are trying to find the right person for the long haul that view needs to be tempered rather than dominant. Of course the timing to be in the market for a new coach was not good and they probably got him on a very school friendly deal.

Reactions: rrdd2021
I always get a nervous when a school hires an existing assistant coach who the players are rallying around. Not saying they should not have a voice but if you are trying to find the right person for the long haul that view needs to be tempered rather than dominant. Of course the timing to be in the market for a new coach was not good and they probably got him on a very school friendly deal.
He's sort of an "existing coach" lol. He went to the Raiders as RB under Antonio Pierce for about 10 days before heading back to UCLA as HC.

I agree with you about player input though as far as the longer term. That's an emotional thing and connection thing so it's natural for them to come out in support of a familiar face. That's a "heart" influence more than a "head" influence but it doesn't mean it can't work out. At the same time, how real is the idea of "longer term" when it comes to coaches and players these days. In this age of transfer portal trying to keep the roster together with a coaching change this late, probably was important for them.

Last edited:
Interesting take from Chip Kelly in a story today in The Athletic (paywalled):

In a stunning move, Kelly gave up being the head coach at Big Ten-bound UCLA to come work for Day, who worked under Kelly at the Eagles and 49ers before coming to Ohio State in 2018.

“I didn’t think of it that way,” said the 60-year-old Kelly, who enjoyed returning to his roots when he coached UCLA’s quarterbacks leading up to their bowl game. “Coaching football makes me happy. It’s as simple as that.

I never wanted to get into athletic administration, but the head coaching job is turning into that at certain places. I have a hard time asking people for money.”

Reactions: WestOrangeCL
Interesting take from Chip Kelly in a story today in The Athletic (paywalled):

In a stunning move, Kelly gave up being the head coach at Big Ten-bound UCLA to come work for Day, who worked under Kelly at the Eagles and 49ers before coming to Ohio State in 2018.

“I didn’t think of it that way,” said the 60-year-old Kelly, who enjoyed returning to his roots when he coached UCLA’s quarterbacks leading up to their bowl game. “Coaching football makes me happy. It’s as simple as that.

I never wanted to get into athletic administration, but the head coaching job is turning into that at certain places. I have a hard time asking people for money.”

Don’t misunderstand my comment here as I am not comparing my HS coaching experience to big time college sports but I can understand Kelly’s point here very well. I taught science and coached several sports for 45 years in Monmouth county. For seven years I was head coach of three sports (field hockey, girls b-ball, and baseball). It was back in the day (the 80’s) when hs coaching, because of a court ruling about hs coaches being able to be with their teams in the summer, was shifting to a full time all year round job. Between fund raising and summer leagues and summer team clinics it was driving me crazy. I resigned my HC roles but continued to coach on the assistant/middle school levels. Loved it. Coached the kids, taught the sport, enjoyed the games but when it was over it was over. Head coach jobs, even at the HS level involve a lot of administrative type work. If what Kelly wants is to coach football then he made the right decision.

Don’t misunderstand my comment here as I am not comparing my HS coaching experience to big time college sports but I can understand Kelly’s point here very well. I taught science and coached several sports for 45 years in Monmouth county. For seven years I was head coach of three sports (field hockey, girls b-ball, and baseball). It was back in the day (the 80’s) when hs coaching, because of a court ruling about hs coaches being able to be with their teams in the summer, was shifting to a full time all year round job. Between fund raising and summer leagues and summer team clinics it was driving me crazy. I resigned my HC roles but continued to coach on the assistant/middle school levels. Loved it. Coached the kids, taught the sport, enjoyed the games but when it was over it was over. Head coach jobs, even at the HS level involve a lot of administrative type work. If what Kelly wants is to coach football then he made the right decision.
Your experience relates to many types of jobs. Corporations. Fire departments is another good example. Once you rise to level of chief, you spend a lot more time handling administrative functions, and spend less time in the day to day training and responding to emergencies.

I can see how at 60 years old, this made sense for Chip to go back to doing what he loves, and doing it with Ryan, part of the "New Hampshire mafia."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT