ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Computer Purchase Advice

Don't like HP proprietary stuff on system.
Asus has always been consistent and reliable for me over the years
Thanks! However, I am looking for a laptop.

Don't buy anything with AI hardware.
Its spyware pretending to be a helper.
Ads can say your computer will be able to help you more but that's because its going to Hoover-up your stuff and do a little pattern recon.

AI Relies On Mass Surveillance, Warns Signal Boss​

https://www.barrons.com/news/ai-relies-on-mass-surveillance-warns-signal-boss-20280d0a

Elon Musk urges millions to switch-off controversial Windows 11 feature that takes screenshots on your PC​

Reactions: Bagarocks
If you want something that is going to withstand the test of time, get an Apple.
Please stop with the Apple cult. The lowest price apple laptop is $1099 with a small 13 inch screen. The lowest price apple with a 16 inch screen is $2500. I've have an hp laptop that I bought used 7 years ago for $75 and I still use it on business trips.

Here are the questions you need to answer to tell you which laptop would be best :

1) How old are you and how good are your eyes?
2) Are you a gamer?
3) How often do you travel with your laptop?

Last edited:
Reactions: cshelley
Please stop with the Apple cult. The lowest price apple laptop is $1099 with a small 13 inch screen. The lowest price apple with a 16 inch screen is $2500. I've have an hp laptop that I bought used 7 years ago for $75 and I still use it on business trips.

Here are the questions you need to answer to tell you which laptop would be best :

2) Are you a gamer?
Paying those prices mean your 7-years-from-now self can justify continuing to use the same piece of hardware

2) Are you a gamer?

Apple laptops alsos PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) to rig the brightness and save battery power (which Apple always needs). A lot of people (including me) are sensitive to PWM. If I spend two hours on a Mac laptop my eyes will be screwed-up for the day and maybe part of the next day

"PWM dimming flashes the display on and off quickly to fool your eyes into thinking they're looking at a brighter or dimmer display, depending on how often the display is off during this cycle. While your eyes can't normally see this kind of flickering, human brains are known to perceive and process lots of information the eye can't "see," including flickering lights and displays.

As PWM dimming has become more commonplace, more and more users are reporting that these phones give them headaches, eye aches, nausea, and other issues that make it incredibly difficult (or impossible) to use the phones. Apple's own forums have been rife with complaints for years, only increasing in number as the company continues to switch to flickering displays."

• Wow
Reactions: Leonard23
I'm in the same situation as OP. Looking for a laptop just for the internet but I get confused with all these different processors and speed/memory/cores/refresh rate but I do know I want a 17" screen but don't want to spend over $500. I don't stream. Any help would be appreciated fellas....

Last edited:
I keep putting off purchasing a new computer. However, my Lenovo is on its last legs. Costco has an HP Pavillion Plus 16 inch laptop on sale for $799. What do you think?
Thanks In Advance!

We actually just bought a Pavillion 15 inch this month. Wife got laid off and realized we have never had a non-company laptop and needed something for her to job search.
So far so good on the Paviliion. Her cousin, who's an IT guy, recommended it.

PS. I also prefer Macs, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with a PC. Like someone else mentioned, it really depends on your needs.

I'm in the same situation as OP. Looking for a laptop just for the internet but I get confused with all these different processors and speed/memory/cores/refresh rate but I do know I want a 17" screen but don't want to spend over $500. I don't stream. Any help would be appreciated fellas....
Do you need a laptop? Are you going to be moving it relatively often?

For a Microsoft PC/Laptop get a Lenovo, Dell or HP. Better hardware. Try to get at least 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD and it will perform. I7 chip latest generation is good. You don't need I9. I5 is dated. Get enough ports for what you need, since they are limited on the newer models.

Other than that, it's all preference.

I'm a PhD in Comp Sci and a CTO. Don't overthink it.

For a Microsoft PC/Laptop get a Lenovo, Dell or HP. Better hardware. Try to get at least 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD and it will perform. I7 chip latest generation is good. You don't need I9. I5 is dated. Get enough ports for what you need, since they are limited on the newer models.

Other than that, it's all preference.

I'm a PhD in Comp Sci and a CTO. Don't overthink it.
Sounds like a plan!

I keep putting off purchasing a new computer. However, my Lenovo is on its last legs. Costco has an HP Pavillion Plus 16 inch laptop on sale for $799. What do you think?
Thanks In Advance!

I just bought this Lenovo. Good price ($399), 13th gen-I5 processor, backlit keyboard, 16 inch display.

Last edited:
Reactions: newell138

2) Are you a gamer?
It’s not the cost that matters, it’s the value that you get out of the item. The battery life of MacBooks is far superior ranging from 16 to 21 hours, depending on the model.

Macs integrate nicely with iPhones, simplifying file sharing, especially pictures, and video, when shared over iCloud.
The Mac editing software is far superior to that of the pc. I can share my screen with my 65” Samsung TV using AirPlay.

Lastly, if you have an issue with your MacBook, you can take it to the Genius Bar, where they will help you resolve it. This alone is worth the Apple premium for many.

The last PC laptop I had was sheer trash. Never again.

PCs have a place, in the office. When it comes to home use, I prefer the MacBook.

Reactions: Section124
Do you need a laptop? Are you going to be moving it relatively often?
Yes i'm looking for a laptop, all I do is surf the internet no streaming/gaming. We travel from Delaware to NJ every weekend to see family but I also have a laptop bag for protection.

Last edited:
Yes i'm looking for a laptop, all I do is surf the internet no streaming/gaming. We travel from Delaware to NJ every weekend to see family but I also have a laptop bag for protection.
If all you do is surf the internet, maybe just get a tablet (e.g. an iPad or iPad Pro).

It’s not the cost that matters, it’s the value that you get out of the item. The battery life of MacBooks is far superior ranging from 16 to 21 hours, depending on the model.

Macs integrate nicely with iPhones, simplifying file sharing, especially pictures, and video, when shared over iCloud.
The Mac editing software is far superior to that of the pc. I can share my screen with my 65” Samsung TV using AirPlay.

Lastly, if you have an issue with your MacBook, you can take it to the Genius Bar, where they will help you resolve it. This alone is worth the Apple premium for many.

The last PC laptop I had was sheer trash. Never again.

PCs have a place, in the office. When it comes to home use, I prefer the MacBook.

Yes, it is the value that matters and MACs are poor values for most consumers.

I have never been away from an outlet while using my laptop for 16 hours. It is a nice bonus, but like paying for a car with a 100 gallon gas tank.

I don't care about it integrating with an iphone, which is another poor value purchase. I am not doing any professional editing on my computers. And I can share photos or my screen on my LG TV.

If I am having difficulty, I can take my problem over to Redditt, and they will help resolve the problem. Without having to drive to a Genius Bar that might be hundreds of miles away.

Your are like someone who is arguing that a Porche Macan is a better value than a Toyota RAV4. For most people, that is simply not true.

Reactions: ashokan

I have never been away from an outlet while using my laptop for 16 hours. It is a nice bonus, but like paying for a car with a 100 gallon gas tank.

I don't care about it integrating with an iphone, which is another poor value purchase. I am not doing any professional editing on my computers. And I can share photos or my screen on my LG TV.

If I am having difficulty, I can take my problem over to Redditt, and they will help resolve the problem. Without having to drive to a Genius Bar that might be hundreds of miles away.

Your are like someone who is arguing that a Porche Macan is a better value than a Toyota RAV4. For most people, that is simply not true.
You said it before I did.

It’s about requirements and the users needs.

Most people aren’t doing all the things Al stated most are just surfing the net and reading emails. Some don’t even need a laptop and a tablet or a desktop might do.

So when somebody says I need a new laptop you have to ask questions.

If you travel a lot, you would appreciate the long battery life. Find my iPhone functionality is a huge competitive advantage. It allows you to find any of your devices, just by logging in to iCloud.com. MacBooks are faster in most cases because they use faster chips and documents are accessed faster because they use SSD drives. MacBooks also do a better job of managing heat.
To have pictures and videos shared seamlessly across your devices simultaneously via iCloud is really cool.

Most people on this forum live within New York and New Jersey. So within a 20 minutes drive of an Apple Store. At times I visit my Apple Store on my lunch break in NYC. There are plenty of Mac Reddit forums, and also a great Apple user community at support.apple.com. It’s also convenient to use the same charger to charger your iPhone and laptop. Lastly, you can get your iPhone messages on your laptop.

Just like the Porsche Macon provides a more satisfying driving experience, the MacBook provides a more satisfying user experience. And I use PCs Mon-Fri at work.

Nailed it. Glad you did not include a Honda Accord in the comparison, because an Accord is superior!
You said it before I did.

It’s about requirements and the users needs.

Most people aren’t doing all the things Al stated most are just surfing the net and reading emails. Some don’t even need a laptop and a tablet or a desktop might do.

So when somebody says I need a new laptop you have to ask questions.
The OP said he just wants to surf the internet. The recommendation for a Mac is way over the top for a user who wants a basic machine to surf the internet. Al seems to have lost this. Not referring to Al in particular, but Apple people can be such over the top, snobby pricks about the purported "superiority" of their computers and phones.

While you're correct that a Mac is not necessarily a great value (nor are many cheap PCs), that car analogy isn't great because a Mac vs PC is not the same as a Macan vs a RAV4 in any way including price (necessarily). Macans are faster and handle better than RAV4s. The same is not true of Macs vs PCs. And PCs can easily be much more expensive than Macs.

In fact, if you want the 911 Turbo S or Lucid Air Saphire of computers, you'd build yourself a PC from the best components available (many of which are not compatible with Macs).

There are a relative few variants of Macs and it's very easy to exceed the capabilities of the best hardware in the best Mac by just choosing (or building oneself) a PC that is far more powerful. If you look at benchmarking websites, Macs can't really compete with PCs built for high performance. With a Mac, you're limited to what Apple provides. With a PC, you're limited only by what Intel or AMD and all the various other PC hardware makers provide - and they provide vastly more powerful hardware (for a price) than what is in any Mac.

There are only two meaningful differences between Macs and PCs, at this point, (1) the user interfaces, and (2) the degree of third party support.

These days, the UIs aren't really all that different. As a general design philosophy, the Mac user interface makes life a bit easier for users by eliminating choices. Whereas the Windows user interface makes life a bit harder for users by providing more choices. But like I said, they're just not that different and having used one, people can generally quickly get up to speed on the other.

However, there is vastly more third party support for PCs than Macs, especially for high-end use.

I've always had luck with Dell lap tops.
I've had a bunch of Dell laptops and computers over the years and they've all been fine. Also had a bunch of Lenovo laptops and they were all fine, too. I had one HP laptop years ago (a desktop replacement laptop which was very large, heavy, and loud). I liked it just fine, but some of my team had issues with it.

These days, if one is just browsing the internet, emailing and maybe doing some light spreadsheet and word-processing type stuff, and it's not for corporate use, I would suggest just getting an iPad w/a keyboard and calling it a day.

If looking for more power and the ability to run lots more software, then a full-blown laptop might be needed. Then it comes down to the type of user (tinkerers or power users or gamers should probably get a Windows PC while the "I just want it to work" crowd will likely be happier with a Mac).

Reactions: ashokan
When Apple runs their deals you can pick up one of their laptops for $799. If you have an iPhone, it's worth considering. We went with an iPad for my mother -- she has an iPhone and it's nice that it's the same OS and everything syncs up.

If you just want a basic PC, then check out Amazon. Look within your budget and max out the RAM, SSD, and processing speed. Pay attention to the reviews. Go with the highest rated with the specs you want within your budget. I have a low-end Lenovo at home, and the components aren't as solid feeling as my work laptop, but they don't need to be.

Lenovo Yoga 6 (13") at home going on a year and half with no issues , it flips over to tablet/touchscreen also. very solid battery. fabric type lid.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Nailed it. Glad you did not include a Honda Accord in the comparison, because an Accord is superior!

The OP said he just wants to surf the internet. The recommendation for a Mac is way over the top for a user who wants a basic machine to surf the internet. Al seems to have lost this. Not referring to Al in particular, but Apple people can be such over the top, snobby pricks about the purported "superiority" of their computers and phones.
If all you do is surf the internet, send emails, etc and you have an Android phone, I'm a fan of Chromebooks. You're on the internet in less than 30 seconds from lid open, with one password entry. And it won't cost a mortgage payment.

I find as i get older the bigger screens are much better for me. Looking for a 17"
I see (no pun intended). 🙂

In that case, I strongly recommend visiting a BestBuy or similar PC vender along with an Apple Store to try out some machines in person. Because not all displays are created equally and some 17" displays will be way easier to work on than others.

You don't have to buy the computer from the store. But visiting the store and trying out different machines, and noting the display technology used by the laptop, along with other display specifications, will help guide you to a laptop with a display that really works well for you.

Once you know what you want, you can order it online or buy from a store in person, whatever works for you.

I see (no pun intended). 🙂

In that case, I strongly recommend visiting a BestBuy or similar PC vender along with an Apple Store to try out some machines in person. Because not all displays are created equally and some 17" displays will be way easier to work on than others.

You don't have to buy the computer from the store. But visiting the store and trying out different machines, and noting the display technology used by the laptop, along with other display specifications, will help guide you to a laptop with a display that really works well for you.

Once you know what you want, you can order it online or buy from a store in person, whatever works for you.
Understood - my issue is the certain specifications with different processors and speed/memory/cores/refresh rate. When i get that down i'll be good....

If all you do is surf the internet, send emails, etc and you have an Android phone, I'm a fan of Chromebooks. You're on the internet in less than 30 seconds from lid open, with one password entry. And it won't cost a mortgage payment.
Second this. Have had a Chromebook for a year and no issues. Nice and easy for internet surfing as you mention

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT