ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Suggestions/Computer

ScarletteK80

Heisman Winner
Mar 4, 2003
Looking to buy a new computer, desk top. Keep it simple. Best place to buy? Thanks.

Building your own PC is the best. Brand name PCs can use custom parts built cheap. A processor can be new and the motherboard is from last year. Learn to update bios. Tons of builder sites on YouTube.

Otherwise I would look for PCs on Slickdeals https://slickdeals.net/deals/desktop/

Micro Center has good PCs and knowledgeable people
The store in Paterson is in an enterprise zone so taxes are less (3.2 I think)
I've seen some good HP's that friends bought.
Lenovo is spyware prone

This time of year a lot of old stock is being cleared out so even Best Buy can be ok.
Pay attention to video - you want a separate video card or integrated video?
Integrated is ok for basic stuff but will struggle some with some newer games.
I would get 8 core processor and 16 GB ram minimum but if you just email and stuff 6 cores are ok

Last edited:
Reactions: ScarletteK80
Have been using Dell for 15 years (as I type this on my 8 year old, apparently indestructible Surface Pro.) My wife runs a five year old high end Dell desktop, but I have always used laptops for client travel.

Our consultant is a Dell advocate, and this was the key factor. You can find a less expensive solution, but Dell quality is pretty good, support is excellent and selection is robust.

My successor Dell laptop has been at my left elbow for a couple of years. It is a much better 17" machine and the first one I have bought to not travel. I bought a lightweight Samsung tablet to bring to an office when necessary.

Reactions: ScarletteK80
Costco gives you an extra year of warranty for free so its got that going for it. Generally though, where you buy is not really important. I recently got up to Micro Center in Patterson and they seemed to have an above average range of options and values. If you are shopping Apple for a college student, make sure you get academic pricing.

Reactions: Knight Shift
If you're in south Jersey, cross into Delaware for tax free Best Buy. I'm not a gamer but have had Dell, HP in the past but my favorite brand is ASUS.

If you need a desktop Mac, Mac Mini is an option, if you have kids at school, you can buy from Apple EDU online store.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
If you're in south Jersey, cross into Delaware for tax free Best Buy. I'm not a gamer but have had Dell, HP in the past but my favorite brand is ASUS.
Does Salem County still have the reduced sales tax? I always wondered what the cost would be to make it worth driving to Delaware to save the sales tax.

Slickdeals Desktops

Some good deals here. Gaming desktops obviously more expensive, but also will last longer. Check out some of the threads, lots of good info in them. I'm an IT guy . Building your own can be cheaper but honestly there are so many good deals, my last PC I didn't bother with it. year ago or so I actually bought an HP Omen at Walmart of all places it was a crazy good deal and I found it on slickdeals.

Brand is mostly irrelevant as far as internals as Dell HP all use other manufacturer components.

Dell has a good business refurb site, I bought my wife an awesome laptop on there cheap. The deals vary so you just have to keep checking the site.

Dell Business Desktop refurbs

Last edited:
Reactions: thegock
Slickdeals Desktops

Some good deals here. Gaming desktops obviously more expensive, but also will last longer. Check out some of the threads, lots of good info in them. I'm an IT guy . Building your own can be cheaper but honestly there are so many good deals, my last PC I didn't bother with it. year ago or so I actually bought an HP Omen at Walmart of all places it was a crazy good deal and I found it on slickdeals.
I am considering the purchase of a Lenovo Ideapad Slim 5 with an AMD Ryzen 7. What do you or anyone else think? I am not a gamer. It is for everyday use.

Last edited:
year ago or so I actually bought an HP Omen at Walmart of all places it was a crazy good deal and I found it on slickdeals.

I got a friend to buy an Omen (maybe from same SD) its been a good PC that they really like.
It came with AMD 6600XT video card included in price around $700
The card alone was selling for $300 at the time.

Reactions: RUinOhio
This...10x better than PC and absolutely worth the price.

Apple is now #1 for making spy gadgets.
They are breaking client side encryption and basically worming into all data.
Even if Apple was trustworthy (and its not) these kinds of features are hacker dreams.
An iPhone with dead battery and turned-off is still basically an AirTag.
I liked the new M1 processors but Apple isn't the company it used to be.
They killed a 2 year old iphone of mine with an update.
Could not make or get calls until I uninstalled updates.
This was the third time I went to use an iPhone that didn't work - that's dangerous

• Haha
Reactions: NotInRHouse
Agree with staying away from Lenovo. Had one laptop for a week and crapped out. Bought online direct from Lenovo via a discount they were offering for a professional group I am a member. Awful product and worse customer service. Spent 2 many hours on the phone trying to get a new machine or a refund. Was weird they kept directing me to return to Best Buy. I thought they had a return agreement with them. Only to find out that’s the call center’s way with dealing with the customer.

Had to create a claim with Amex to get my money back.

Agree with staying away from Lenovo. Had one laptop for a week and crapped out. Bought online direct from Lenovo via a discount they were offering for a professional group I am a member. Awful product and worse customer service. Spent 2 many hours on the phone trying to get a new machine or a refund. Was weird they kept directing me to return to Best Buy. I thought they had a return agreement with them. Only to find out that’s the call center’s way with dealing with the customer.

If I buy a Lenovo will definitely buy from Costco. They have a very good return policy!

Second this. It became a paperweight quickly as I was too frustrated to deal with it after a while

I got a friend to buy an Omen (maybe from same SD) its been a good PC that they really like.
It came with AMD 6600XT video card included in price around $700
The card alone was selling for $300 at the time.

yep exactly the PC I bought! I love it.

Reactions: ashokan
I have seen recommendations for an HP Omen. However, I am not a gamer and merely need a decent everyday laptop.
How old are you? In other words are your eyes getting worse with age? Are you going to use an external monitor? Or two monitors? What is your everyday like? Are you a commuter or travel daily? Does weight matter? Or it's occasional desk to couch thing? Are you just using it for Word, excel and email?

How old are you? In other words are your eyes getting worse with age? Are you going to use an external monitor? Or two monitors? What is your everyday like? Are you a commuter or travel daily? Does weight matter? Or it's occasional desk to couch thing? Are you just using it for Word, excel and email?
I am 71. That should answer your question. It is primarily to download the Racing Form and watch sporting events as an additional streaming device. Of course, I spend a lot of time surfing the net. There is no business need. There will be no external monitor.

I am 71. That should answer your question. It is primarily to download the Racing Form and watch sporting events as an additional streaming device. Of course, I spend a lot of time surfing the net. There is no business need. There will be no external monitor.
For basic things any modern day PC will handle that. You could wait for a sale and go to Best Buy and snag one for a reasonable price.

I have seen recommendations for an HP Omen. However, I am not a gamer and merely need a decent everyday laptop.

Make sure the laptop has illuminated keyboard/keys.
Some good deals come around but keys are dark and that sucks.
You also want at least one type-c usb port (don't need a specific alignment for insertion - no flip flopping). Type-C has taken over and most phones are type-c (including iPhones finally - since 15).

If you are not going to be carrying it around a lot a 16 or 17 inch laptop might be preferred. With a better display. You want to maximize the ram at least 16gb, but you don’t need to worry about hard drive space.

Check dell and hp before you go to a store

But why a laptop and not a desktop? You could get a really nice sized monitor.

Last edited:
For people asking this question, get an Apple iMac and call it a day. Yes, it costs more, but the part of the premium you’re paying is for better support and quality. If you ever have an issue, you can go to the Apple Store and an Apple Genius will help you. I would also suggest Apple Care.

Apple desktops will integrate seamlessly with your iPhone, if you have one. This makes it easy to share photos and videos over WiFi, without use of a cable.

You can also receive text messages on your computer, which is really cool, plus use FaceTime to video conference with loved ones, just as you would use it on your iPhone.

Apple iMac all the way. No question. Some things are just worth the extra money.

I had multiple PCs really since their inception. Due to degradation, I needed to buy a new one every 3-4 years or so. On a new iMac now, but had my original one for 11 years.

Bigger initial investment but works out cheaper in the long run.

We also have several MacBook Airs in the house. Great laptop also worth the price for the same reasons.

For people asking this question, get an Apple iMac and call it a day. Yes, it costs more, but the part of the premium you’re paying is for better support and quality. If you ever have an issue, you can go to the Apple Store and an Apple Genius will help you. I would also suggest Apple Care.

Apple desktops will integrate seamlessly with your iPhone, if you have one. This makes it easy to share photos and videos over WiFi, without use of a cable.

You can also receive text messages on your computer, which is really cool, plus use FaceTime to video conference with loved ones, just as you would use it on your iPhone.
All of that functionality is available via Winders/android. But if you're an apple family go apple.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT