ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Suggestions/Computer

Apple iMac all the way. No question. Some things are just worth the extra money.

I had multiple PCs really since their inception. Due to degradation, I needed to buy a new one every 3-4 years or so. On a new iMac now, but had my original one for 11 years.

Bigger initial investment but works out cheaper in the long run.

We also have several MacBook Airs in the house. Great laptop also worth the price for the same reasons.

I disagree. The OP sounds like the type of person who doesn't want to spend more than $800 on his personal computer. You get a lot more bang from your buck spending $800 on a PC from Microcenter or Cyberpower than you do spending $800 on a Mac.

Mac owners are sort of like Tesla owners. If you own a Tesla and are happy with it, that is great for you. But that doesn't make Tesla a better choice for EVERYONE.

Something to be aware of with MacBooks is that the displays use PWM (Pulse Width Modulation). Its a way to alter frames to save power but it creates a flicker not specifically visible but causes eye problems in some people. I had an M1 that I liked but after 2 hours of use my eyes were a mess and I had to return the MacBook. I read M2 dropped PWM but I would make sure.

I previously stated how I will be using the computer. Is it worth buying a laptop with a discrete graphics card? Thanks in advance!

I previously stated how I will be using the computer. Is it worth buying a laptop with a discrete graphics card? Thanks in advance!

Not if you aren't a game player. A discrete card would use more power. A lot of main processors now do the video pretty well. You dont need a super cpu either. Everything sexy gets the power use up. A decent CPU with 16 memory is better than 8 GB

Last edited:

Much more expensive than what you get with a desktop with graphics card (I own both). Of course, a laptop has the advantage of being able to take with you or use while you are lounging in bed, etc.

The $750 option in this video is a good starting place. That may be all you need.

Apple iMac all the way. No question. Some things are just worth the extra money.

I had multiple PCs really since their inception. Due to degradation, I needed to buy a new one every 3-4 years or so. On a new iMac now, but had my original one for 11 years.

Bigger initial investment but works out cheaper in the long run.

We also have several MacBook Airs in the house. Great laptop also worth the price for the same reasons.
You must be doing something wrong with your PCs. I have had PCs since I bought my first used IBM PC back in 1990 and all of them have lasted for a long time. My current laptop I purchased used for $75 and was a 2013 model. I used it daily as my main business machine for 4 years and it's still running and I use it for business trips. My current desktop is a used Dell that at least 7 years old. I use these machines daily for both business and personal use. Macs are nice good machines with great displays but they sell for a premium because of the apple cult. You can get similar machines with similar specs for a lot less.

Not if you aren't a gamer player. A discrete card would use more power. A lot of main processors now do the video. You dont need a super cpu either. Everything sexy gets the power use up. A decent CPU with 16 memory is better than 8 GB
The cheapest thing you can do to increase speed and responsiveness is to get as much RAM as you can afford as ashokan says get 16 GB as a minimum.

Reactions: thegock and ashokan
You must be doing something wrong with your PCs. I have had PCs since I bought my first used IBM PC back in 1990 and all of them have lasted for a long time. My current laptop I purchased used for $75 and was a 2013 model. I used it daily as my main business machine for 4 years and it's still running and I use it for business trips. My current desktop is a used Dell that at least 7 years old. I use these machines daily for both business and personal use. Macs are nice good machines with great displays but they sell for a premium because of the apple cult. You can get similar machines with similar specs for a lot less.
Again, I haven’t owned a pc for years but, i found that there was always some plug in, or other download needed. At the time there was no defined “App store” as there is for Apple so I ended up downloading from websites, some of which were known, others more random. The good thing about Apple that can save you from downloading inefficient plug ins and apps is that they have a defined number of developers that need to go through the App Store to sell their wares. Much less opportunity to get scammed or download “Trojan horses” in that environment. The PC regime may have changed recently but it was a bit of the Wild West as I remember.

Again, I haven’t owned a pc for years but, i found that there was always some plug in, or other download needed. At the time there was no defined “App store” as there is for Apple so I ended up downloading from websites, some of which were known, others more random. The good thing about Apple that can save you from downloading inefficient plug ins and apps is that they have a defined number of developers that need to go through the App Store to sell their wares. Much less opportunity to get scammed or download “Trojan horses” in that environment. The PC regime may have changed recently but it was a bit of the Wild West as I remember.
That was a long time ago when you had to download different drivers from different companies. That's not the way it is currently. Most updates are handled automatically.

Reactions: BossNJ
That was a long time ago when you had to download different drivers from different companies. That's not the way it is currently. Most updates are handled automatically.
Ok, thanks for the clarification. Maybe I had my first Mac longer than 11 years..😂

I disagree. The OP sounds like the type of person who doesn't want to spend more than $800 on his personal computer. You get a lot more bang from your buck spending $800 on a PC from Microcenter or Cyberpower than you do spending $800 on a Mac.

Mac owners are sort of like Tesla owners. If you own a Tesla and are happy with it, that is great for you. But that doesn't make Tesla a better choice for EVERYONE.
Pretty sure the OP is a she. And she didn't give any clues I picked up as to budget. $800 would be, IMO, very low for a new computer you want to last. If you want to get a new computer every couple/few years, and you don't care about performance or display quality, then maybe you can get away with $800. If you care about performance and want a good display and don't want to have to get a new computer for 10 years, you gotta spend a lot more than $800.

But I agree with you about the PC vs Mac thing. There is no inherent for-everyone advantage to either one. The only actually meaningful determinant between them is user experience preference.

Apple's UX design approach is to produce very simple user experience by paring back options and features. Ultimately, this leads to a lot of hidden unintuitive behaviors (pinch with two fingers and drag slowly for one behavior, three fingers and drag rapidly for another) as users demand certain options and Apple's UX engineers attempt to fit that feature into their overly simplified interfaces.

That works great okay for a certain type of user. It totally sucks for another type of user.

PCs (and Android devices to a lesser extent) tend to use a UX design approach that is much more flexible and configurable. It tries to address complexity in user experience by partitioning options and features with higher use stuff prioritized higher (presented earlier) and lower use stuff prioritized lower (presented later). This can lead to configuration "wizards" with multiple pages of options to configure something. And it can lead to feature overload sometimes.

The PC approach also works great for a certain type of user, and totally overwhelms another type of user. The trick is to determine which type of user you are and then get the one that matches.

If you're the sort of person that, when setting out to buy a new car, wants to research the latest cars and features and look at a bunch of different options before choosing, taking months to choose? You're a PC person.

If you're the sort of person that, when setting out to buy a new car, heads to the nearest dealership (or online) and just chooses some car of the type (sedan/SUV/sportscar) you want in the right price range with a good enough color available, then buys it the same day? You're a Mac person.

Last edited:
The cheapest thing you can do to increase speed and responsiveness is to get as much RAM as you can afford as ashokan says get 16 GB as a minimum.
Actually, I disagree. Probably the cheapest thing to increase performance is get a faster NVMe/M.2 SSD, versus a slower SSD using a slower bus interface (e.g. SATA) or an HDD.

But after that, I agree that 16GB of RAM is the entry level for reasonable performance and to push back obsolescence a bit as newer versions of software all become more memory-hungry.

The CPU can matter, depending on the type of tasks the computer will do. But probably less so in ordinary computing than either the drive or RAM.

If you're not going to game on it, and not planning to use a large super high resolution external monitor or three with it, then it's probably not worth a discrete graphics card. I say probably because there are almost certainly some very substandard integrated GPUs out there and, if the computer has one of those, a discrete GPU makes more sense.

If you're not going to game on it, and not planning to use a large super high resolution external monitor or three with it, then it's probably not worth a discrete graphics card. I say probably because there are almost certainly some very substandard integrated GPUs out there and, if the computer has one of those, a discrete GPU makes more sense.
I have had a Lenovo Ideapad for 7 years. It still functions but is rather beat up. I am thinking of purchasing :

Lenovo IdeaPad Slim 5 16" Touchscreen Laptop - AMD Ryzen 7 7730U - WUXGA (1920 x 1200) - Windows 11​

What do you think?

OP did not specify a budget. It’s not the cost that is important. It’s the value you receive from the machine. The $400 premium for a Mac is worth it , for a more intuitive user experience, better support, and likely to last longer.

There is no inherent security advantage to a Mac over a PC. There might have been at one time, a long while back, although it was a much-hyped thing when in reality the differences were much more subtle. Early virus writers didn't target Apple so much due to it's small market share.

But not anymore. Hardware and OS virus vectors have become pretty ubiquitous across all types of devices running on all OSs. These days, people can easily do stuff on both types of device that reduces their digital security (and, sadly, people do that stuff all the time). Any types of devices, if connected to the internet, are insecure against dedicated threats. User behavior is the biggest problem, not either OS.

The PC components universe is vastly larger than Apple's and thus there is far more potential for hardware based security issues in aftermarket or third-party devices that go undiscovered for long periods of time (or forever). Apple machines aren't immune; there's just a smaller universe of possible hardware components. Again, the unavoidable tradeoff for adding flexibility and configurability is that it adds to the overall security risk.

OP did not specify a budget. It’s not the cost that is important. It’s the value you receive from the machine. The $400 premium for a Mac is worth it , for a more intuitive user experience, better support, and likely to last longer.
Nah. That premium for a Mac is no more worth it than adding the same amount to your budget for a PC is worth it. A Mac is no more likely to last a long time than any other computer from a reputable vendor. Don't be cultish about a computing device.

My current tower computer, which I custom-built, was about $12,000 initially, not counting displays. And I've spent another roughly $8000 on it since then, again not counting displays. It could theoretically last forever because I can continually swap in newer parts, if I want.

Does that make my approach better than yours? Nope. Just means it's better (and fun) for me.

Mac's absolutely do not have a more intuitive user experience. That's a total myth. UX is in the eye of the user; there is no generalizable best choice for all people. That's absurd.

As for support, I can't speak to that because I never need any support. But I have had multiple Dell, HP and Lenovo laptops over the years and never had any problems with support for them. OTOH, I rarely ever needed any support; they all just worked perfectly all the time.

I have had a Lenovo Ideapad for 7 years. It still functions but is rather beat up. I am thinking of purchasing :

Lenovo IdeaPad Slim 5 16" Touchscreen Laptop - AMD Ryzen 7 7730U - WUXGA (1920 x 1200) - Windows 11​

What do you think?
Does BestBuy or another computer store nearby sell them? And if they do, can you visit one and play around with it some? I strongly recommend this.

That way, you can see for yourself how well it performs and how the display and mousepad work for you. I have no experience with their recent laptops. So I have no clue how well they work these days. I've had no issues w/Lenovo's I've had in the past, though.

I will say that any computer from any vendor using any OS that costs less than $500 is probably not going to last a very long time. It will eventually suffer performance issues as new versions of the OS and the software on it are released.

That's okay, if you're okay with some performance degradation. And it's okay if you're happy to spend $500 every 3-5 years or so.

Last edited:
Nah. That premium for a Mac is no more worth it than adding the same amount to your budget for a PC is worth it. A Mac is no more likely to last a long time than any other computer from a reputable vendor. Don't be cultish about a computing device.

My current tower computer, which I custom-built, was about $12,000 initially, not counting displays. And I've spent another roughly $8000 on it since then, again not counting displays. It could theoretically last forever because I can continually swap in newer parts, if I want.

Does that make my approach better than yours? Nope. Just means it's better (and fun) for me.

Mac's absolutely do not have a more intuitive user experience. That's a total myth. UX is in the eye of the user; there is no generalizable best choice for all people. That's absurd.

As for support, I can't speak to that because I never need any support. But I have had multiple Dell, HP and Lenovo laptops over the years and never had any problems with support for them. OTOH, I rarely ever needed any support; they all just worked perfectly all the time.
Jeez, may I ask what’s in that thing? I assume some ultra high end parts? What CPU and GPU? I’m pondering getting a 4090, but my 3080 is still covering all my needs currently.

Jeez, may I ask what’s in that thing? I assume some ultra high end parts? What CPU and GPU? I’m pondering getting a 4090, but my 3080 is still covering all my needs currently.
They were decently high-end at the time (around 2017 or early 2018 I think). It's all getting pretty old now, so I'm about to start building a new one (which will be way more powerful at less than half the price).

A lot of this stuff was way overpriced at the time I was building it out, versus what it would cost now (e.g. the GPUs and CPU). I just happened to be building at the worst time for pricing. Lots of stuff over $1K then that's now well under that.
  • Corsair Obsidian 1000D case
  • Corsair AX1600i power supply
  • ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme motherboard
  • A delidded Intel i9-7940X watercooled (O/C to 4.7GHz all CPUs, but down-clocked recently)
  • 64GB of RAM (Corsair RGB but don't recall the exact sku)
  • EVGA RTX 3090 GPU (O/Cd and watercooled) (was 2 EVGA 1080i's in SLI watercooled)
  • Samsung 970 Pro 1TB
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB
  • 2 Samsung 860 2TBs
  • 2 WD HDDs (8TB)
  • 2 WD HDDs (2 TB)
  • 26 120mm Corsair RGB fans, radiators, pump, reservoir, tubing, iCUE wiring/power hubs, so on and so forth.
I had some other stuff in it originally while figuring out the waterloop stuff. That stuff's is mostly sitting around collecting dust in a closet. The CPU or memory is wearing out from the long running high O/C, starting to generate faults. Had to drop the O/Cs down to prevent crashes.

I have no idea why I went the RGB route, normally not being into stuff like that. But I went nuts with it. The fans alone were stupid expensive back then, over 1/3rd the price for the overall build IIRC. And in the end, I'm not using 1/3 of the fans I got. They too appear to have gotten a lot cheaper since then.

Next build will have no RGB at all. All that wiring was painful. System runs whisper quiet though, even with the high O/C. Hottest thing in the case, by far, has been the 970 Pro which runs super hot. Second hottest thing is the corner of the case where I wedged all the excess fan wiring. LOL

I also need the next build to have a separate cooling box. The current one is way too heavy. Fully draining the loop requires two strong people for tilting and all. Last couple times I just pumped air through it to force more water out and lived with having a bit still in the loop when changing it out.

What are you using it for?
Very simple things. TKR. No more work. Cookbook stuff. Facebook/Twitter. Mail. TV News. Basketball, Baseball. Consulting papers. More troi0 come.
Make sure the laptop has illuminated keyboard/keys.
Some good deals come around but keys are dark and that sucks.
You also want at least one type-c usb port (don't need a specific alignment for insertion - no flip flopping). Type-C has taken over and most phones are type-c (including iPhones finally - since 15).
I said simple, very simple, Lol.

They were decently high-end at the time (around 2017 or early 2018 I think). It's all getting pretty old now, so I'm about to start building a new one (which will be way more powerful at less than half the price).

A lot of this stuff was way overpriced at the time I was building it out, versus what it would cost now (e.g. the GPUs and CPU). I just happened to be building at the worst time for pricing. Lots of stuff over $1K then that's now well under that.
  • Corsair Obsidian 1000D case
  • Corsair AX1600i power supply
  • ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme motherboard
  • A delidded Intel i9-7940X watercooled (O/C to 4.7GHz all CPUs, but down-clocked recently)
  • 64GB of RAM (Corsair RGB but don't recall the exact sku)
  • EVGA RTX 3090 GPU (O/Cd and watercooled) (was 2 EVGA 1080i's in SLI watercooled)
  • Samsung 970 Pro 1TB
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB
  • 2 Samsung 860 2TBs
  • 2 WD HDDs (8TB)
  • 2 WD HDDs (2 TB)
  • 26 120mm Corsair RGB fans, radiators, pump, reservoir, tubing, iCUE wiring/power hubs, so on and so forth.
I had some other stuff in it originally while figuring out the waterloop stuff. That stuff's is mostly sitting around collecting dust in a closet. The CPU or memory is wearing out from the long running high O/C, starting to generate faults. Had to drop the O/Cs down to prevent crashes.

I have no idea why I went the RGB route, normally not being into stuff like that. But I went nuts with it. The fans alone were stupid expensive back then, over 1/3rd the price for the overall build IIRC. And in the end, I'm not using 1/3 of the fans I got. They too appear to have gotten a lot cheaper since then.

Next build will have no RGB at all. All that wiring was painful. System runs whisper quiet though, even with the high O/C. Hottest thing in the case, by far, has been the 970 Pro which runs super hot. Second hottest thing is the corner of the case where I wedged all the excess fan wiring. LOL

I also need the next build to have a separate cooling box. The current one is way too heavy. Fully draining the loop requires two strong people for tilting and all. Last couple times I just pumped air through it to force more water out and lived with having a bit still in the loop when changing it out.
That’s awesome. Still a great setup. I assume you use it for gaming?

Very simple things. TKR. No more work. Cookbook stuff. Facebook/Twitter. Mail. TV News. Basketball, Baseball. Consulting papers. More troi0 come.

I said simple, very simple, Lol.
You could buy any PC to do those things. Don’t go crazy. I don’t love Apple so don’t get me started with that debate haha.

Reactions: mildone
No gaming
So you’re still fine for a while haha. I just recently bought one of those Asus ROG Ally handhelds….. now it turned into me using a mouse keyboard and monitor with that haha. Nice little mobile PC when I’m traveling in my RV.

What do you think?
Costco has that for 100 off. Looks like a decent value for 699 for the use you describe. After. carrying some bricks for years I bought a slim form factor Samsung and love it. And no, spending more for a discrete graphics card is not worth it for general use. Good screen size - big but probably still fits in a carry on. Remember you can always use a dock at home to hook up 27” monitor, ethernet, keyboard and mouse. There are some other options within 100. If it’s in your local store I usually suggest taking a look in person

I have no clue what you are talking about. Keep it simple stupid when talking about me.

Whoa such a geek - do you even game or anything of you just into the power OCs?
My lesson has been to never go tip top on hardware and just refresh mid-level builds more often.
I don't even bother with OCs anymore.
Should just vanish like Crossfire/SLI imo

Whoa such a geek - do you even game or anything of you just into the power OCs?
My lesson has been to never go tip top on hardware and just refresh mid-level builds more often.
I don't even bother with OCs anymore.
Should just vanish like Crossfire/SLI imo
I run a lot of CPU intensive stuff, some in highly secured VMs. Security adds lots of overhead. Thus the need for all the CPUs and RAM. Overclocking provides much better performance at the cost of a lot of cooling requirement.

Used to use multiple boxes.

I run a lot of CPU intensive stuff, some in highly secured VMs. Security adds lots of overhead. Thus the need for all the CPUs and RAM. Overclocking provides much better performance at the cost of a lot of cooling requirement.

Used to use multiple boxes.

Interesting. I've been toying with idea of VMs. The way hardware runs now I see less convo about OCs. Asus just ran into problems with new PCIe 5.0 motherboards that were catching fire because bios wasn't handling voltage properly. Asus used to have ONE guy in charge of all bios versions and he retired a couple years ago. They've been catching a lot of flak lately. I've only used Asus since 2006 but will try Asrock next

Actually, I disagree. Probably the cheapest thing to increase performance is get a faster NVMe/M.2 SSD, versus a slower SSD using a slower bus interface (e.g. SATA) or an HDD.

But after that, I agree that 16GB of RAM is the entry level for reasonable performance and to push back obsolescence a bit as newer versions of software all become more memory-hungry.

The CPU can matter, depending on the type of tasks the computer will do. But probably less so in ordinary computing than either the drive or RAM.
Most pre-built laptops and desktop now come with an ssd most basic users won't know the difference between ssd buses but they will know the difference 16 gb and 8 gb and usually computers in the same family allow for different RAM and HD configurations so my advice is usually based on screen size and get the most RAM. You have to know your audience.

As for your set up, I wrote my first program back in the 80s bought my first PC in the early 90s. I don't think I've spent 1/3 of what you spent on your set up on all my computers in the last 30 years. you are doing stuff on a different plane than 99.999% of computer users

Last edited:

You have the expertise to custom configure a high end PC to your liking, but most people do not possess same.

Your experience does not mirror mine, as far as experience. I currently have a MacBook Pro, which has worked flawlessly for 6 years. Previously have had Dell and HP, which bit the dust after 3-4 years. You can more easily teach a beginner to do stuff on a Mac than you can on a PC because the UI is more streamlined. I actually use both Mac and PC because I remote into a Virtual PC on a Daily basis, from a MAC. The one advantage on a PC is that the experience in using excel spreadsheets is much better.

The workflow for creating and editing videos is much simpler on the MAC. Also, you can easily backup a MAC to iCloud with a few keystrokes. People don’t do the same for a PC, as far as I am aware. iPhone integration is another value add, where your contacts which have been shared to iCloud can be accessed on the MacBook. FaceTiming is very simple whereas using Skype on a pc is not as user friendly.

Ultimate, the value of your computing Device is derived by what you can do with it. Someone using a Mac can do more in less time. And if they need help, an Apple Genius Bar is a short car ride away.

You have the expertise to custom configure a high end PC to your liking, but most people do not possess same.

Your experience does not mirror mine, as far as experience. I currently have a MacBook Pro, which has worked flawlessly for 6 years. Previously have had Dell and HP, which bit the dust after 3-4 years. You can more easily teach a beginner to do stuff on a Mac than you can on a PC because the UI is more streamlined. I actually use both Mac and PC because I remote into a Virtual PC on a Daily basis, from a MAC. The one advantage on a PC is that the experience in using excel spreadsheets is much better.

The workflow for creating and editing videos is much simpler on the MAC. Also, you can easily backup a MAC to iCloud with a few keystrokes. People don’t do the same for a PC, as far as I am aware. iPhone integration is another value add, where your contacts which have been shared to iCloud can be accessed on the MacBook. FaceTiming is very simple whereas using Skype on a pc is not as user friendly.

Ultimate, the value of your computing Device is derived by what you can do with it. Someone using a Mac can do more in less time. And if they need help, an Apple Genius Bar is a short car ride away.
Once again, there's nothing anybody can do on Mac that someone can't do on a PC and in the same amount of time. There's no inherent advantage (or disadvantage) to a Mac or a PC. They are built of the same stuff, and function the same way. There's no inherent difference in the hardware longevity. Neither one is better or worse.

The only difference is the user experience approach chosen by the two different OS UX designers. And while there are real differences there, both are excellent UXs that work perfectly well. Some people prefer the Apple approach. Some people prefer the Windows approach. For seemingly most people, it's a strong preference.

But it's a personal preference for one vs the other, NOT an inherent advantage/disadvantage for either one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT