ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Congrats to SHU

But, at least we were in it.

Even those of us who are Baby Boomers / remember the NIT run in 1967 / the NCAA's (final 4 _'76)...can't relate. It's been 27 freakin' years since we danced.

What is the newest craze, the funky chicken, the Charleston or twerking???

MO

Yes, congrats to SHU. All of the money they spent to hire crooked coaches earned them 1 NCAA tourney win. They sold their soul for a very cheap price.
You also have a so called crooked coach on your staff "shoes" only difference is he has not been as successful since his unlv days.

Do you really expect Rutgers fans to go out looking for Hall news or just notice the Pirates aren't being covered in-depth by the local rag and not care enough to look for news about that program.
Seems like you Pirate fans get bent out of shape every-time a Rutgers fan doesn't jump up and down for joy when they hear something about Hall basketball.
The Hall made the dance , be happy about it.
Seton Hall is out, live with it without needing condolences from Rutgers fans.
College basketball in NJ is more relevant when both Seton Hall and Rutgers are successful.The fan bases dislike each other which is expected. The casual sports fan has shown little interest in either program which accounts for the poor attendance at most games.

Reactions: Potbelly407
Regardless of the seedlings I thought the hall had a decent shot last night despite the game being in Kansas. I did not see the game but sounded like the Hall played pretty well. Of course you would not have thought so from bill self’s post game comments that focused on how much better they are going to need to play to go any further. Not that impressed with KU this year.

Irrelevancy is when you are in the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament and none of the NY/NJ media cares.
I don't know - they made front page of Ledger sports three days in a row and back covers on NY Post and Daily News.

Despite the records I think RU had the more fun and productive overall season than SHU. Beat your rivals, take down some new teams, make a huge run in a great atmosphere in the garden, versus a lackluster end of season, a bow out in the first round at MSG, and winning a free throw contest and then bowing out against a 1 seed. Just my opinion not stating it as a fact.

It's next year I worry about - SHU has a strong team coming in and we,if Cory doesn't come back, are marginal at best.

Willard is too hands off as a coach. Too much of a players coach is and it will be his downfall. Players don’t respect him as much as they say. They just like that he lets them do what they want.

They should have fed Delgado until Kansas stopped it, then countered. Most college coaches don't seem to grasp the concept of exploiting an advantage.

Reactions: JimmyCryan
I was sorta pulling for them, esp now that we're in different conferences I envision a future where both can thrive. Their fans can have their complexes, not my problem and nothing compared to the cultural forces that are some of the fan bases we deal with in football. I don't know how their recruiting picked up so much since they hired the coach from Lincoln and got Whitehead, could be shady or could be a natural outgrowth of having talent on the roster. They were truly irrelevant for 15 years and we didn't capitalize, need to respect the cycle now.

Plus I like that they brought back the old unis, I was a fan of that 1993 team (too young for the teams before that)

Reactions: dmitch023 and batts
I believe I heard on the radio last night that they will be losing 5,000 career points - a lot to replace.
They have three 2017 recruits that might prove capable replacements
Cale, Mamukelashvile & Walker.
Powell going into his Junior season next year might prove to be a good one as well.
Hall might have the reloads on roster now that didn't show what they could do because of who was in front of them but will in 2018-19.
College is a game of reloading and the Hall might have good replacements on the roster now.
Taurean Thompson a transfer from Syracuse will be eligible in 2018-19 after sitting this year.
I'll shed no tears for whose leaving , I think the replacements will do just fine :(

Reactions: batts and Vegas pj
Despite the records I think RU had the more fun and productive overall season than SHU. Beat your rivals, take down some new teams, make a huge run in a great atmosphere in the garden, versus a lackluster end of season, a bow out in the first round at MSG, and winning a free throw contest and then bowing out against a 1 seed. Just my opinion not stating it as a fact.

That explains why Rutgers' varsity sports program has resembled a poorly funded CYO outfit for 40 years. It's all about having fun -- who the hell cares about winning? Finish last and then win 2 meaningless games against two other non-NCAA teams. Great season.

Reactions: Rutgers25
See I don't understand this? Why do any of you SHOE fans care what we think?

Since you care here's what I think.

Once Delgado announced he was returning, SHOE fans had visions of challenging THE Nova for the BE title, had visions of winning the BET, felt they were a SHOE-in for the NCAA and realistically thought they were a sweet 16 team with an outside shot at the Final 4.

Reality is you never contended for the BE, you faltered down the stretch, you showed up for a cup of coffee in the BET, you lost to lowly little Rutgers, you got a lower seed then you thought and didn't make the Sweet 16 and had no shot at the Final 4 . AND you have the stink of paying Whitehead (oh right right it was his AGENT had nothing do with SHOE right?)

I would say all in all this season was a bit of a disappointment for you SHOEbies.

Since you guys care what we think and all.

Once Delgado announced he was returning, SHOE fans had visions of challenging THE Nova for the BE title, had visions of winning the BET, felt they were a SHOE-in for the NCAA and realistically thought they were a sweet 16 team with an outside shot at the Final 4.

Reality is you never contended for the BE, you faltered down the stretch, you showed up for a cup of coffee in the BET, you lost to lowly little Rutgers, you got a lower seed then you thought and didn't make the Sweet 16 and had no shot at the Final 4 . AND you have the stink of paying Whitehead (oh right right it was his AGENT had nothing do with SHOE right?)

I would say all in all this season was a bit of a disappointment for you SHOEbies.

Drop mic!

Reactions: MADHAT1

You are 100% right. It's your Board so you can as ridiculous as you like to be.

Agreed

Higgins comment on what will be Willard's downfall was ridiculous enough for all.

The guy has taken what was a downtrodden program to 3 straight NCAA Tournaments----------won the BET beating a team which went on to win the National Championship and he"s talking about what will be his downfall.

Those comments belong in a comic book

I don't think one thing that I said in that post is out of bounds or "ridiculous".

Agreed. I was referring more to ScarletDave's post. However, this is YOUR Board and you guys certainly have your opinions right or wrong.. it's sometimes fun for posters from other Programs to engage in debate. There's a lot of good posters on this Board whose opinions i enjoy reading. You and T2K can be somewhat obnoxious at times, however I can forgive T2K because he's a Yankee fan. LOL

You are 100% right. It's your Board so you can as ridiculous as you like to be.
Truth hurts.
Stop acting like Eddie Haskell ( [roll]) when you don't like seeing an honest reply about Seton Hall and it's fans from a Rutgers fan on a Rutgers board.

Reactions: batts
Truth hurts.
Stop acting like Eddie Haskell ( [roll]) when you don't like seeing an honest reply about Seton Hall and it's fans from a Rutgers fan on a Rutgers board.

You certainly got me pegged! LOL

Reactions: MADHAT1

Rutgers had a ‘more productive’ season than Seton Hall. Wow. That’s quite laughable.

pass the dutchie

I don't think one thing that I said in that post is out of bounds or "ridiculous".
For a minute I thought the reference to SH losing to "lowly little Rutgers" was "ridiculous", not an admission of your true feelings. My bad. :scream:

Agreed

Higgins comment on what will be Willard's downfall was ridiculous enough for all.

The guy has taken what was a downtrodden program to 3 straight NCAA Tournaments----------won the BET beating a team which went on to win the National Championship and he"s talking about what will be his downfall.

Those comments belong in a comic book
Td, sorry but you act like Willard did that on pure skill. If you want to overlook potential illegal violations, I won’t stop you. But that’s what it took to get there. And every shu fan knows this. They also are probably in agreement that he creates iso plays too much for his players, and is guilty of being a coach that lets his players go do what they want, not what they need.

SHU and Willard did nothing-----he had a player who supposedly took money from an Agent.

That isn't on him or the University.

When the player left the Program early for the NBA the team didn't collapse-------went to 2 straight NCAA's.

If it makes you feel better to think they cheated fine but there's been zero that has come out and there will be zero done to them.

You want to win here ? You better go get some guys that somebody would be willing to pay .

Guys like you want to micromanage every possession and you can't coach that way. You have to let kids play.

It is amazing to me how RU completely shut down Delgado when we played them this season. He was totally frustrated and the entire team was outscored 17-2 in the last 6:06 of the game. Powell lost his cool in the last 3 seconds as he did as well as Rodriguez in several games.

SHU and Willard did nothing-----he had a player who supposedly took money from an Agent.

That isn't on him or the University.

When the player left the Program early for the NBA the team didn't collapse-------went to 2 straight NCAA's.

If it makes you feel better to think they cheated fine but there's been zero that has come out and there will be zero done to them.

You want to win here ? You better go get some guys that somebody would be willing to pay .

Guys like you want to micromanage every possession and you can't coach that way. You have to let kids play.
And he didn’t know that or was t aware of Tiny Morton? You don’t have to pay to win. People still do it the right way and win. Yes, but kids at 19 need guidance. I could care less but I know many shu fans think he lets the team go do their own thing too much. We are better with Pikiell. If you give shu players to Pikiell, they get further every year.

And he didn’t know that or was t aware of Tiny Morton? You don’t have to pay to win. People still do it the right way and win. Yes, but kids at 19 need guidance. I could care less but I know many shu fans think he lets the team go do their own thing too much. We are better with Pikiell. If you give shu players to Pikiell, they get further every year.

The allegations merely suggest that the agent may have paid Tiny Morton and IW. The agent payments were made to induce the player to hire the agent if and when he goes pro. There is no evidence whatsoever that either SHU or anyone else for that matter paid IW to commit to SHU.

The allegations merely suggest that the agent may have paid Tiny Morton and IW. The agent payments were made to induce the player to hire the agent if and when he goes pro. There is no evidence whatsoever that either SHU or anyone else for that matter paid IW to commit to SHU.
Okay. Well see how it shakes out. Willard let’s the players do too much of what they want. That was my initial point.

Okay. Well see how it shakes out. Willard let’s the players do too much of what they want. That was my initial point.

That's a fair criticism. A few of our knowledgeable posters believe that KW is too much of a friend to the players and not enough of a task master.

Now this is like the Good Old Days of some years back when SHU and RU posters used to infest each other's boards to flame. The Good Old Days when SHU posters called RU he Little Red School House. Kinda miss them, but sometimes miss hangovers, also.
TL

That's a fair criticism. A few of our knowledgeable posters believe that KW is too much of a friend to the players and not enough of a task master.
Gotcha. Same criticism on my part. You guys still got to watch your team in the tournament. The Rutgers Seton Hall rivalry will be fun to watch from here on out. That is good for NJ.

I'm not a Seton Hall fan-----root for RU against every team but one and they don't play one another any longer.

i will give Delgado credit, he played a hell of a game.
I am a Rutgers fan first and a NJ fan second, let's celebrate the run for SHU, (especially since we beat them this year LOL). Delgado, whom I admired, played a hell of a game and should have improved his NBA draft status. When it is all said in done this is not a zero sum game, if SHU & Rutgers are perennial NCAA tournament teams the NJ kids will stay home and both teams will benefit to the detriment of everyone else.

Reactions: dmitch023
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT