ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Cooley to Georgetown

@kyk1827 not trying to re-open our debate but $6M a year shows Georgetown isn’t messing around and expectations for a turnaround will be high.
Or it shows that to fill an enormous rebuild with a quality coach they had to pay top top top top dollar.

It is a great hire. But for that kind of money they want to get back to their 1980's ways and I'm not sure how realistic that is

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Or it shows that to fill an enormous rebuild with a quality coach they had to pay top top top top dollar.

It is a great hire. But for that kind of money they want to get back to their 1980's ways and I'm not sure how realistic that is
Willard and Cooley's records in the BE and against each other were pretty similar. And Cooley had better facilities and resources. I do think it's a good choice for GU, but not a slam dunk for sure. And we don't know the NIL resources that's going to be available. But it's Washington DC....everyone likes to spend money without any concern for ROI.

I can't think of the last two starters for my theoretical team of very good or better basketball players who failed as head coach of their alma maters.

C: Patrick Ewing
SF: Chris Mullin
G: Eddie Jordan

Nominees welcome for the last two spots, or more to push Fast Eddie to the bench.

Cooley is 53. Even if he only lasts four year at Georgetown at that rate, he could still land one more job before he hangs up his clipboard. I think he will be fine with this move.
Jon Scheyer @ Duke

Reactions: dconifer
That kind of money is going to come with high expectations.
I think Cooley is a great guy, not a great coach.
G-Town seems like it could be a great place to recruit to.
My friends who have hung out with him absolutely love him.

I think he is a real good coach being a consistent winner at Providence with not one losing season. I watched them in Philly against 'Nova this year and was impressed.

Reactions: seneca ave

It is an enormous rebuild but if they’re throwing that kind of $ around for a head coach….it can be done quickly through the transfer portal and with some NIL $ to back it up.

Also - the timing is pretty good for a turnaround. Providence will take a hit with this loss, Seton Hall is down and Nova took a step back with Jay Wright’s departure (who knows if they’ll ever get back to where they were).

You've got to feel for Providence--- they probably thought he'd be around forever. Georgetown always bent over backwards for basketball. Their other sports and I have friends whose kids played lacrosse there , always felt second class. You wouldn't expect that from a school with lots of $.

I can't think of the last two starters for my theoretical team of very good or better basketball players who failed as head coach of their alma maters.

C: Patrick Ewing
SF: Chris Mullin
G: Eddie Jordan

Nominees welcome for the last two spots, or more to push Fast Eddie to the bench.

Cooley is 53. Even if he only lasts four year at Georgetown at that rate, he could still land one more job before he hangs up his clipboard. I think he will be fine with this move.
Bob Wenzel
Matt Doherty

I was aiming for the best basketball team we can make that qualifies. In that regard, Drexler belongs with Mullin and Ewing. Not sure about the other names being added here...

If I was a Providence fan I’d be pulling my hair out.

As for me all the BE schools can play with themselves and keep their OOC rivalries with Religious schools. like Notre Dame, Gonzaga , BYU, Baylor and programs like that.
SH’s OOC schedule this year is typical of the BE. Loaded with these religious schools: Monmouth, St. Peters, Iowa, Wagner, Memphis, Oklahoma, Siena, Kansas, RUTGERS & Drexel. Won’t comment on the “cupcake” OOC schedule played @ the RAC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT