Dec 22, 2010
I am a regular at Costco and have my normal go-get items:
steak
salmon
Jimmy Dean's turkey sausage sandwiches
granola bars
jerky
chicken egg rolls

Not everything there is a bargain just because its in bulk, but asking the group for other items that should be on my auto-replenish list. Thanks

Just a few off the top of my head...

Milk.... we drink an obscene amount of milk, and it's generally cheaper there than elsewhere. At one point, it was $1 cheaper than ShopRite was in Bridgewater, and we were basically saving the cost of an executive membership just with milk.

Gas... usually cheaper than anywhere else.

Costco credit card.... 4% back on all gas purchases, 3% back on all travel and dining, 2% back on all Costco purchases (stacks with gas, too, I believe), and 1% back on everything else. Citi just sends you a check for the money. We use the Costco card for all gas/travel/dining/Costco purchases, and a Venture card (1.5% on everything) for everything else.

Anything with an asterisk on the price sign... these are things they're not getting any more of, and they're usually priced to move.

Milk.... we drink an obscene amount of milk, and it's generally cheaper there than elsewhere. At one point, it was $1 cheaper than ShopRite was in Bridgewater, and we were basically saving the cost of an executive membership just with milk.

Costco credit card.... 4% back on all gas purchases, 3% back on all travel and dining, 2% back on all Costco purchases (stacks with gas, too, I believe), and 1% back on everything else. Citi just sends you a check for the money. We use the Costco card for all gas/travel/dining/Costco purchases, and a Venture card (1.5% on everything) for everything else.

Anything with an asterisk on the price sign... these are things they're not getting any more of, and they're usually priced to move.
And if it ends in a funny number like .77 , .11 or .17 that also means what you see is what’s left and it won’t be back.

With an executive membership and Costco credit card, you're basically getting an automatic 4% back off anything bought in the store, too - so cost comparisons have to take that into account for us. We buy a lot from Costco, so the executive membership on its own frequently gives back triple the difference between a standard and executive membership each year.

Some other good deals:
Kirkland Colombian coffee beans - 3lb bags for $18. You can grind it there, but we take it whole bean and grind it as needed at home.

1/4 lb Hot dog and a free refill 20 oz soda for $1.50 is kinda ridiculous.

$5 roasted chickens are a pretty good deal, too.

And if it ends in a funny number like .77 , .11 or .17 that also means what you see is what’s left and it won’t be back.
Never knew about the numbers on the products, so that's helpful. But any specific items that people are regularly purchasing?

their end of season sales can be awesome too. got my 7 person hot tub for $2k off and saved over $500 on patio furniture. add in the washer/dryer combo etc. looking forward to my costco card reward check shortly!

Never knew about the numbers on the products, so that's helpful. But any specific items that people are regularly purchasing?

The article above is pretty good, but Business Insider's ads are awful - the site won't let you use an ad blocker, and the ads take forever to load. Some of their "skip" things are aimed more at single people or small apartments.

We buy paper towels, tissues, and toilet paper when they go on sale at Costco, and keep loads of them in garage - but you can't do that in a smaller living space. Same with things like big jugs of Cascade, which we'll have like 4 of under the sink.

If you can buy when the bulk items go on sale or have coupons and store them somewhere, it's great - but you have to think ahead and buy during sales to have an extra on hand, rather than waiting for need.

We also buy their three huge bottles of ketchup, because we go through it quickly (we also use it as an ingredient in some recipes, which helps).

Cereal is a big one. Bananas. Eggs. Bread (if you eat enough of it, because you need to buy two loaves at a time). Bacon (comes in two compartments, we'll sometimes use one and freeze the other).

It really helps if you have extra freezer/fridge space, too.

I am a regular at Costco and have my normal go-get items:
steak
salmon
Jimmy Dean's turkey sausage sandwiches
granola bars
jerky
chicken egg rolls

Not everything there is a bargain just because its in bulk, but asking the group for other items that should be on my auto-replenish list. Thanks
The Rotisserie chickens are an amazing deal. Also, they stick great organic coffees. The mayorca Peruvian is awesome. The Kirkland branded wines are also very good. I also buy most of my LED bulbs or light fixtures at Costco.

Reactions: Beancounter88

Not sure about those prices, but the ones that end in .97 are clearance items. I think there's even a website costco97.com that alert you to clearance items.

The article above is pretty good, but Business Insider's ads are awful - the site won't let you use an ad blocker, and the ads take forever to load. Some of their "skip" things are aimed more at single people or small apartments.

We buy paper towels, tissues, and toilet paper when they go on sale at Costco, and keep loads of them in garage - but you can't do that in a smaller living space. Same with things like big jugs of Cascade, which we'll have like 4 of under the sink.

If you can buy when the bulk items go on sale or have coupons and store them somewhere, it's great - but you have to think ahead and buy during sales to have an extra on hand, rather than waiting for need.

We also buy their three huge bottles of ketchup, because we go through it quickly (we also use it as an ingredient in some recipes, which helps).

Cereal is a big one. Bananas. Eggs. Bread (if you eat enough of it, because you need to buy two loaves at a time). Bacon (comes in two compartments, we'll sometimes use one and freeze the other).

It really helps if you have extra freezer/fridge space, too.
I’m the same with some of those items. Buy them when they’re on sale and store them away.

I have smoothies everyday which I make with a vitamix also from Costco lol....so I also buy frozen fruits and veggies from there often as well.

I spent 35 years in CPG before retireing a couple years ago and not only had a few years selling to Costco but actually helped engineer some of our products they sold (both branded and Kirkland Labeled). When I sold to them I hated them. As a consumer I've only been a member for a few years since they opened the Flemington Club and I love them now lol.

Its just the 2 of us so we don't need a ton and you can still find amazing better high-low deals at Shop Rite so best to pick and choose (if you aren't one of those just let me buy my stuff and who cares) .

My quick list?

-24 count cage free eggs $3.59ish .
-Ground beef also like $3.59/lb. but I think either 85 or 87% Fat Free.
-Pollio String Cheese.
-Dog Food. Kirkland Brand. Grain Free. Dry and 24ct Can.
-Trail Mix. (I worked on Planters a few years and their Nuts were as good or better) Pissed us off!
-Baby Artisian Romaine heads

Their Meat dept. is fantastic but other than Ground for burgers I've given up steaks. So I just stand there and ogle at the display lol.

We really buy a ton of stuff there... I started to type out a list, and it just got so long that I gave up. Even oddball stuff - patio table/chairs, some indoor furniture items, desk chair, porch light, tires, wiper blades, cut flowers, christmas cards/photo printing, christmas gifts, Pixel 3A phones...

Kirkland branded stuff has a very high "hit rate" for being good, too.

Only negative experience was getting a quote for garage doors - the vendor they used sent a salesperson who wasn't very knowledgeable about the products and gave a very high quote, and we ended up not going with them.

Granted i only scanned through these replies but this list is garbage if its not

Rotisserie
Rotisserie
Rotisserie
Rotisserie
Rotisserie
Rotisserie
Rotisserie
Rotisserie
Rotisserie
Rotisserie

Hands down THE BEST value you can get anywhere at $4.99... its so good that its a loss leader for the company and the main reason why they decided to go into the chicken farm/processing business themselves to limit the amount of loss they take on this item.

go to BJs over costco but here are the items I find decent, especially with BJs internal coupons. The Supermarket is slightly more but may be equal on sale

- Toilet Paper
- Paper Towels
- Tissues
- rtd protein drinks
- diapers for those with little ones
- bottled water (supermarkets may be within a dollar but Amazon can't compete because of shipping weight)

basically anything in bulk size is better at a warehouse store vs Amazon because of shipping costs prevent Amazon from being able to sell without losing money. They also are usually a dollar 2 cheaper than the supermarket unless on sale

We had a trial membership for a bit, but didn't see a lot of savings when comparing grocery bills from Costco to wegmans. I have found that milk and meat (both organic) are cheaper at wegmans.

We do go to Costco for gas - the one closest to me doesn't require membership for gas. Easily 20-30 cents per gallon less for premium.

I’m the same with some of those items. Buy them when they’re on sale and store them away.

I have smoothies everyday which I make with a vitamix also from Costco lol....so I also buy frozen fruits and veggies from there often as well.
Forgot to add the coconut water large 1L cases is also something that I buy from there regularly which is also part of my smoothies. Use to buy the Zico brand but they stopped selling it so now buy the Kirkland brand which is just fine too. Both were cheaper by a bit than what you’d find at the supermarket.

I buy things like Premier Protein drinks when they are on sale.
Beginning of the year, lots of sales on stuff like vitamins. Allergy season, generic Allegra, Claritin, nasal spray.
Generic tylenol and alleve is a good price.

The Kirkland 35 pack of Diet Green Tea for $7.99 is a good deal but seems seasonal.

This is more related to Costco out of state (other than Edison), but beer and wine. I stock up for the beach in Florida at the Costco. I even had the nerve to dry the Kirkland light beer. I mean if you're just looking for a light beer to pound all day at the beach you certainly could do worse. Was like a 48 pack for maybe $20.

Reactions: Knightmoves
We had a trial membership for a bit, but didn't see a lot of savings when comparing grocery bills from Costco to wegmans. I have found that milk and meat (both organic) are cheaper at wegmans.

We do go to Costco for gas - the one closest to me doesn't require membership for gas. Easily 20-30 cents per gallon less for premium.

Right now it looks like milk is the same price between Costco (Bridgewater/Flemington) and Wegmans (Bridgewater). $2.99 for a gallon of 1%... which is a dollar cheaper than the $3.99/gal at ShopRite in Hillsborough. The price has definitely gone up over the last couple years or so... I remember it being $2.49/gal a while back.

I spoke to a couple of distant cousins at a party last year who were from Wisconsin, and they almost fell off their chair when I told them how much we pay for milk out here.

Frozen shrimp
Michelin tires

I have found the frozen shrimp to be a disappointment on most occasions after they changed their supplier to Indonesian (or somewhere near there) farmed shrimp. Their cooked shrimp lacked the crispness I would expect.

As for us: milk, eggs, butter, avocados, bananas, chicken burritos, frozen bean and cheese burritos, chicken quesadillas, Kirkland toilet and paper towels, frozen wild Alaskan salmon, scallops, Kirkland dog food, Columbian coffee, and variety of ready salads with the fixins are all solid buys and are staples.

Couple that with the rewards card which we got this year which is 2% back on Costco purchases, 3% on travel and restaurants which has netted us over $600 in rewards for the last year is a great deal.

True story- I was in the Manahawkin Costco a few years back loading up on bulk items for a storehouse full of 20+ year old “guests.” That area has plenty of senior communities and one elderly couple (both holding onto their own giant shopping cart like it was a walker were in the cereal isle with me. The husband grabbed a huge double box of Cheerios. The wife says to him “what are you doing we’ll be dead before we eat all of that.” ... I THINK she was kidding 0__0:Laughing

Reactions: borochop
Costco is my 300 Club. I can’t get out of there for less than $300!!!

People who run Costco are geniuses for this reason. Yesterday I went in for salads, avocados and frozen burritos...walked out with a $167 bill and shook my head at the register...but I was happy with all my purchases.

Reactions: rimsky and rondi
People who run Costco are geniuses for this reason. I went in for salads, avocados and frozen burritos...walked out with a $167 bill and shook my head at the register...but I was happy with all my purchases.
I've said before one of the few B&M stores that is somewhat shielded from the Amazon effect. It's got a very loyal customer base and the membership fees are gold lol.

Reactions: RUChoppin
People who run Costco are geniuses for this reason. Yesterday I went in for salads, avocados and frozen burritos...walked out with a $167 bill and shook my head at the register...but I was happy with all my purchases.

They intentionally put the staple items that people buy frequently toward the back of the store so that customers have to walk past everything else on offer every time in the building - which is smart.

Reactions: RUtom
Don’t get me started on the wine and cheese selection...I need intervention.

Go RU!
Diane

My weekly trip is for:
Bananas
Cantaloupe
Strawberries
Blueberries
Blackberries
Red Seedless Grapes
1 lb sliced D&W oven roasted turkey (we have a deli in our store)
Other items as needed are:
Lowfat Milk
Kirkland Decaf Coffee
Scotts toilet paper
Kirkland paper towels
Kleenex tissues
Premier Protein Shakes
Some Vitamins that I don't buy online elsewhere.
I have Executive Membership and my non-Costco Visa gives 2% rebate for a total 4% savings.

Granted i only scanned through these replies but this list is garbage if its not

Rotisserie
Rotisserie
Rotisserie
Rotisserie
Rotisserie
Rotisserie
Rotisserie
Rotisserie
Rotisserie
Rotisserie

Hands down THE BEST value you can get anywhere at $4.99... its so good that its a loss leader for the company and the main reason why they decided to go into the chicken farm/processing business themselves to limit the amount of loss they take on this item.
Costcos model is to make their money via selling memberships and work on a 5ish % margin.

Reactions: rondi
Awesome deals on car rentals. What I save on car rentals every year pays the membership fee 5+ times over.

Good call. I do all my car rentals on their website for vacations. It's good to watch the rates too and cancel and re-book if the rate goes down.

Reactions: Vlife
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT