ADVERTISEMENT

OT: DeLorenzo’s Gets a 9.2!!!!

Pizzas are so different that I have a hard time picking one. NY, Neapolitan, New Haven, St. Louis, etc are all almost different meals to me—even with the same toppings. I worked in NYC for many years and would regularly go to Lombardi’s, Johns, Prince Street, and on occasion ones in Brooklyn. Even within the city the pies are so different it’s tough to pick one (at least for me). I also love making my own pizza from scratch and have multiple people tell me it’s their favorite (maybe they are trying to get in the will?). I tend to like thinner crust that is on the crispy side (kind of like Star Tavern as I remember it.)

Pizzas are so different that I have a hard time picking one. NY, Neapolitan, New Haven, St. Louis, etc are all almost different meals to me—even with the same toppings. I worked in NYC for many years and would regularly go to Lombardi’s, Johns, Prince Street, and on occasion ones in Brooklyn. Even within the city the pies are so different it’s tough to pick one (at least for me). I also love making my own pizza from scratch and have multiple people tell me it’s their favorite (maybe they are trying to get in the will?). I tend to like thinner crust that is on the crispy side (kind of like Star Tavern as I remember it.)

Totally agree. In the wrong circumstances even an Elios Frozen Pizza can be a meal. :eek:

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
For all you people not near one of these great pizza places... get yourself one of these...

img35c.jpg

That's a Breville pizza oven.. plus this..
917pmVsyMiL._SL1500_.jpg

and..
15282924845b17e484611c3-500x500.jpg

and..
o.jpg

Feel free to substitute or add with fresh mozzarella, ricotta, sliced tomatoes, meats, whatever..
938f5a5a-9d27-4242-a1ae-9c40fa03ad81_text.gif

In any case.. the pizza oven takes about 14 minutes to heat up to a nice temp.. but afterward you can pump out personal pies very 4-5 minutes. You feel like pizza? you can have a fresh hot personal pie in 20 minutes. I was surprised the tortillas worked so well.. but making fresh dough is a pain in the butt.. and even if you buy a ball of pre-made pizza dough, it gets messy.. the tortillas work perfectly. All that stuff above is available at costco and the cheese and tortillas can be frozen... costco QTYs can be a bit much. Jarred sauce on a shelf lasts pretty good and that particular marinara works nicely. Tried others.. but have settled on that one.

You can do cheese first like a tomato pie or sauce first.. you can put it right on the stone or use parchment paper.. (and reuse the parchment paper a few times if you don't put the temp at max..
81s4X8WpYnL._SL1500_.jpg

I put it just over the medium setting.. which is high on its own right.. it is pizza, needs high temps). My favorite topping so far is paper thin sliced genoa salami, quartered.. a whole slice it too big.. you have to break it up, allow the pie to breath while cooking.

Keep an eye on the pie while cooking.. sometimes you get air pockets pushing the pie up to the heating elements.. just lift the lid and stab the air pocket if it looks (or smells) like trouble. That actually happened more with the fresh dough than the tortillas.

BTW.. Poppi is correct.. cucumbers would be too wet... but the tortillas being baked already can stand up to a bit of moisture.

Oh dear. (I have to say this or @MrsScrew will yell at me)

I live within 5 minutes of both Delo's and Papas and both are tremendous. I grew up in Trenton and had both all the time. Sometimes Papas is better and sometimes it aint. You cant go wrong with either pie. Papas delivers so it makes it so much easier.

I’m curious to hear your guys top pizza places in NJ, regardless of style. A couple of friends and myself are more then willing to travel all over the state to try the supposed “best slice in NJ”.

Have any of you ever had Pepes in New Haven? Their pizza is fantastic.
Yep, Pepe's is fantastic, as is DeLorenzo's, as is my probable all-time favorite, Star Tavern in Orange. Huge fan of the Towne House in Rahway and Sciortino's in South Amboy, too, as well as Sal's in Washington Twp (Gloucester Co), where I grew up. So many great pizzas and pies to love!

Reactions: MrsScrew
I’m curious to hear your guys top pizza places in NJ, regardless of style. A couple of friends and myself are more then willing to travel all over the state to try the supposed “best slice in NJ”.
De Lorenzo's (Robbinsville) = tomato pie, thin crust, and overall title
Genteel's (Skillman/Montgomery) = traditional "American" pizza - amazing sauce, high quality ingredients
Nomad (Hopewell or Princeton) = gourmet/organic - soft and fluffy crust, farm fresh ingredients

https://www.delorenzostomatopies.com/
http://montgomerynjpizza.com/
http://www.nomadpizzaco.com/hopewell.html

Anybody have favorite North Jersey pizza spots? I like Kinchley's in Mahwah and Nellie's in Waldwick. Both are very thin crust. I also went to Patsy's in Paterson this summer but was not too impressed.

I just thought of another good pizza - Conte's in Princeton is really good.

Is this the game thread today?
To borrow a phrase - nobody goes to DeLorenzo's. Too crowded. Take out might work but my impression is the quality goes down fast as it cools.

Too many over good choices around. We’re more of a La Piazza household.

Hmmm. That looks pretty good.
Its on a cheap paper plate because I next use a pizza rocker on it... the flaw in the whole setup detailed above is the crust.. you won't get thick airy crust. But you could use your own dough, your own home made sauce.. etc.. but it is good and that little electric oven does a nice job.
dsc_5405_1_4.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT