ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Disc Golf

yessir321

All Conference
Sep 26, 2018
Any other Frolfer’s out there like me? If so I’m planning a couple trips out to jersey next season and wouldn’t mind playing some courses out there that might be worth it. anyone out there play golf the better way like me? Haha

Any other Frolfer’s out there like me? If so I’m planning a couple trips out to jersey next season and wouldn’t mind playing some courses out there that might be worth it. anyone out there play golf the better way like me? Haha
Big fan. And the Rutgers course is one of the oldest and most famous. Neshimany Creek Brewery has a league in their wharehouse behind the taproom.

Reactions: thegock
Big fan. And the Rutgers course is one of the oldest and most famous. Neshimany Creek Brewery has a league in their wharehouse behind the taproom.
Good to know about the taproom. I’ve played the Rutgers course many times especially as a student and although it draws fond memories it’s just not a course worth playing at this point compared to what I have down here (I’m in md about 15 min south of York county pa where they my hosted the 2019 am world tourney). Not to mention those old baskets don’t catch anything, lol.

Any new courses or redesigned courses that have been installed over the last say 5-10 years?

Good to know about the taproom. I’ve played the Rutgers course many times especially as a student and although it draws fond memories it’s just not a course worth playing at this point compared to what I have down here (I’m in md about 15 min south of York county pa where they my hosted the 2019 am world tourney). Not to mention those old baskets don’t catch anything, lol.

Any new courses or redesigned courses that have been installed over the last say 5-10 years?
Tyler Park in Newtown has been upgraded and very popular in Lower Bucks County

Tyler Park in Newtown has been upgraded and very popular in Lower Bucks County
I’ve been meaning to play Tyler but haven’t had the chance, that’s a great idea on my way up to jersey! I’ve played sedgely plenty of times and not sure if you’ve made the trip down but Muddy Run in Holtwood Pa is pure bliss. I also play the king of the hill tourney every year down at iron hill. That’s another course you need to try that well worth the trip if you haven’t.

do yourself a favor though and find a weekend to get out to northern virginia. Between the spotsylvania courses (blockhouse, hawk hollow) and Lake Marshall you have maybe the best trio of courses in the mid atlantic

Reactions: WhiteBus
Think @Gimmy might. Played with the guy once in real golf and with the slice he had on the ball that day he must have thought we were playing frisbee golf instead.

grew up playing. Had a course in my town. A bunch of us picked it up and one of us was and is amazing at it. Just a natural from day one. Turned pro and won the US open a few years ago.

Professional Disc Golf Association #3125. Started playing when they built the course over on Cook/Douglass in 1982 for the World Frisbee Championships held at Rutgers that year. Until then, my main frisbee activity was being on the RU Ultimate team in 81 and 82, when I had to quite because of shin splints from running too much (the sport involves a ton of running). I also was competitive in freestyle (tricks and such). If you were ever around Bishop Beach on College Ave from about 82-84, you probably saw me and my buddy, Victor Malafronte (who went on to fame as a paparazzi, eventually starring in the paparazzi documentary "Blast-em.") doing freestyle tricks on any decent day. We used to do that at Belmar most summer weekends, too. It certainly helped with meeting women, lol.

I used to play in disc golf tourneys at RU, Sedgley Woods in Philly, Mt. Kisco, Lumberton, DE, etc. in the early/mid-80s when I used to play a ton (there were way less courses than today back then - for a long time the RU course was the only one in NJ). Best finish was 3rd at an event at RU - in those days everyone put in money and the money came back if you finished in the top several (depended on how many entered). I think 3rd got me about $100. Wasn't a way to make a living, lol, but it was fun times playing and partying with some of those guys back then. I've lost touch, but I think some of the top guys make a living at it now, as some of the big tourneys even get on cable sports (the ocho, lol) - the career leader, Paul McBeth, has made $432K over the last 13 years and presumably endorsement $ too.

At one time I held the unofficial (not in a tourney, but played with another pro) RU course record (-14 for 18 holes) on the original course with the original tees, before the heavy, beveled edge discs were invented, which could fly much further than the old Wham-O discs, necessitating setting up tournament tees that are always much further back than the original ones, which became too easy with the new plastic. And then around 1987 or so, I became infatuated with regular ball golf and stopped competing in disc golf tourneys for the most part. Have taught dozens of people how to play at RU over the years, but haven't played seriously in a long time. Maybe something to do in retirement with the senior guys, lol...

https://www.pdga.com/

Reactions: thegock and scripts
Greystone Woods course in Morris Plains.

I play both kinds of golf ....although not so much recently. Went to Cook and played the RU course almost every day. Last played at Greystone about two years ago......and I recall it to be challenging.

Disc golf is my main summer activity with the kids....they still want to hang with dad.

Love the sport, except trying to find lost discs. in real golf you obviously just let those errant shots go, not $15(and up) discs you love.

Reactions: scripts
Professional Disc Golf Association #3125. Started playing when they built the course over on Cook/Douglass in 1982 for the World Frisbee Championships held at Rutgers that year. Until then, my main frisbee activity was being on the RU Ultimate team in 81 and 82, when I had to quite because of shin splints from running too much (the sport involves a ton of running). I also was competitive in freestyle (tricks and such). If you were ever around Bishop Beach on College Ave from about 82-84, you probably saw me and my buddy, Victor Malafronte (who went on to fame as a paparazzi, eventually starring in the paparazzi documentary "Blast-em.") doing freestyle tricks on any decent day. We used to do that at Belmar most summer weekends, too. It certainly helped with meeting women, lol.

I used to play in disc golf tourneys at RU, Sedgley Woods in Philly, Mt. Kisco, Lumberton, DE, etc. in the early/mid-80s when I used to play a ton (there were way less courses than today back then - for a long time the RU course was the only one in NJ). Best finish was 3rd at an event at RU - in those days everyone put in money and the money came back if you finished in the top several (depended on how many entered). I think 3rd got me about $100. Wasn't a way to make a living, lol, but it was fun times playing and partying with some of those guys back then. I've lost touch, but I think some of the top guys make a living at it now, as some of the big tourneys even get on cable sports (the ocho, lol) - the career leader, Paul McBeth, has made $432K over the last 13 years and presumably endorsement $ too.

At one time I held the unofficial (not in a tourney, but played with another pro) RU course record (-14 for 18 holes) on the original course with the original tees, before the heavy, beveled edge discs were invented, which could fly much further than the old Wham-O discs, necessitating setting up tournament tees that are always much further back than the original ones, which became too easy with the new plastic. And then around 1987 or so, I became infatuated with regular ball golf and stopped competing in disc golf tourneys for the most part. Have taught dozens of people how to play at RU over the years, but haven't played seriously in a long time. Maybe something to do in retirement with the senior guys, lol...

https://www.pdga.com/
Damn, you got a PDGA number that low you’re definitely an OG golfer! It’s well worth getting back into right now, the sport is exploding in popularity right now and courses are popping up left and right. There’s also soo many discs out now that no matter where your arm speed is you can build a bag that you will be successful with.

I played ball golf for about 15 years somewhat competitively (local tournaments, on the Hs team etc) at my best I was pretty much a scratch golfer, however in 2014 I tore my rotator cuff in my left shoulder and haven’t played ball golf the same since, it was about then that I switched my focus over to the discs.

there’s plenty of opportunities to get back into it and it’s grown to the point that they now have MA50 MA60 MA65 and MA70 divisions so you and your buddies can still go out and do well in tournaments!

if you ever find yourself out in Maryland or south central Pa send me a pm if you want to get out to a course. I’ll bring along a few extra discs you can have and get you started again!

(although if you still have your old bag and would be willing to sell some old discs I may be interested)

Reactions: thegock and scripts
Disc golf is my main summer activity with the kids....they still want to hang with dad.

Love the sport, except trying to find lost discs. in real golf you obviously just let those errant shots go, not $15(and up) discs you love.

the difference is you don’t pay $60+ just to play a round of disc golf, like you do ball golf. Lol.

as I’ve gotten better over the years my number of lost discs has dwindled, I still throw the occasional in the water or ‘where the hell is that disc going’ shot though, when I lose one I just chalk it up as my green fee although my number is on the back of my discs and more times than not I end up getting that disc back eventually

Ironically I have watched a ton of disc golf on YouTube but only played a few times. Of the few times I played though, most of them were at Smugg's in Vermont where they have a yearly pro tournament and hosted the 2018 World Championships.

It's a lot of fun and I want to play it more.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
Ironically I have watched a ton of disc golf on YouTube but only played a few times. Of the few times I played though, most of them were at Smugg's in Vermont where they have a yearly pro tournament and hosted the 2018 World Championships.

It's a lot of fun and I want to play it more.
Best thing to do to get good quick is play putter/mid range rounds. The biggest mistake new players make is going out and throwing high speed drivers (speed 10+) when they don't know proper throwing technique and how to control their shots. Play once or twice a week for a month or two using nothing but putters and mid ranges and when you pick up the fairway and distance drivers after and your control will be night and day different.

Everyone is different but I don't like a bead at the bottom of my discs so I would recommend going out to play with a putter (I use a P2 from Discmania for putts and a C-line P3X for driving putts but there's plenty of choices out there) The key though is a Buzzz. Get yourself a buzzz if you haven't already. Lots of people who prefer a bead will tell you to play with a Roc which is fine but I found the Buzzz is far more nuetral and goes where you throw it. It's my staple for anything 275 ft and in.

RU numbers I spent a lot of time on Bishop Beach. Lived in Tinsley 82-84. Remember a lot of frisbee but was more concerned with checking out women. Sure we crossed paths. Unfortunately Bishop Beach is gone. It was a great scene back in the day

Reactions: RU848789
Oh shoot really? I’ve played in a couple tourney’s the last couple of years with him, the guy is still killing it at 40 showing up 25 year old kids. His putting is sensational
Yeah he was always a great putter and can chuck a disc. He always could.

that is a good point, I don't golf but its valid. although sometimes you get to really like a particular disc. I've called people when I've found discs, and a couple never call back.

the difference is you don’t pay $60+ just to play a round of disc golf, like you do ball golf. Lol.

as I’ve gotten better over the years my number of lost discs has dwindled, I still throw the occasional in the water or ‘where the hell is that disc going’ shot though, when I lose one I just chalk it up as my green fee although my number is on the back of my discs and more times than not I end up getting that disc back eventually

that is a good point, I don't golf but its valid. although sometimes you get to really like a particular disc. I've called people when I've found discs, and a couple never call back.
You do indeed as different runs of the same disc fly completely different. Plus there’s nothing like a beat in mid range for turnovers. What I do is have my core discs I like and have a few spares. I try to get them all from the same run however sometimes it’s not possible. Factory seconds and misprints are where it’s at while building your bag and learning the different molds. Most of them in premium plastics cost no more than $12.

But honestly if you are just starting out or are just a casual player, start with a putter you like, a midrange you like (I will always suggest the buzzz), a flippy understable fairway driver (Leopard or leopard3 are great options) as well as a straight nuetral flying fairway driver like a teebird or better yet an FD from discmania. Cover all those bases and learn to throw those discs effectively you’ll be better than 75% of the players out there. You really shouldn’t touch a distance driver until you’ve been playing consistently for at least 6 months to a year, once you do I recommend the Valkyrie or thunderbird as your first distance driver, then you can move up to the beast, wraith and eventually a destroyer or destroyer type (I throw a Cloudbreaker which is basically discmania’s version of a destroyer). Once you get your arm speed up add a firebird or FD3 to the bag for something stupid overstable for doglegs and big flex shots and you’re all set!

Reactions: RUinOhio
Great post fan. Also played with @Gimmy and this guy named krill. Never seen an individual get beat that bad before in golf.
If you're going to use puppet accounts, you really should use different browsers (one on Chrome, one on Firefox) to avoid patting yourself on the back with the wrong account.

Reactions: Jm0513
If you're going to use puppet accounts, you really should use different browsers (one on Chrome, one on Firefox) to avoid patting yourself on the back with the wrong account.
I didn't even catch that! Did this guy just Kevin Durant himself? On an OT topic about disc golf???

Reactions: Jm0513
Iron Hill is crazy great.
I've played it with my buddy Andrew Fish from down here as well. If you've never heard of Fish, he's probably the best player on the east coast north of Virginia. He shot -10 from the tips, maybe the most humbling experience I've had in the sport as I was happy shooting +5 from the tips there. THICC Woods

Reactions: WhiteBus
Damn, you got a PDGA number that low you’re definitely an OG golfer! It’s well worth getting back into right now, the sport is exploding in popularity right now and courses are popping up left and right. There’s also soo many discs out now that no matter where your arm speed is you can build a bag that you will be successful with.

I played ball golf for about 15 years somewhat competitively (local tournaments, on the Hs team etc) at my best I was pretty much a scratch golfer, however in 2014 I tore my rotator cuff in my left shoulder and haven’t played ball golf the same since, it was about then that I switched my focus over to the discs.

there’s plenty of opportunities to get back into it and it’s grown to the point that they now have MA50 MA60 MA65 and MA70 divisions so you and your buddies can still go out and do well in tournaments!

if you ever find yourself out in Maryland or south central Pa send me a pm if you want to get out to a course. I’ll bring along a few extra discs you can have and get you started again!

(although if you still have your old bag and would be willing to sell some old discs I may be interested)

Yeah I guess I count as an oldtimer now, which is probably why the stats on my "career" are so wrong (I probably won about $500 in the years I played seriously, not $44 and I joined in 83 not 87). I played with people like Dan "Stork" Roddick and Ed Headrick (the father of disc golf) in that 1982 event at Rutgers and played regularly with quite a few folks in the first few thousand of PDGA members, like Barry Noakes, Scot Wittman, Dan Doyle, Theo "Sunny" Cade and more - and didn't realize my old friend Victor Malafronte was PDGA member #2!

I play a couple of times a year, still, with my old plastic, like the Lightning, the Eagle, the XD and such and can still throw it pretty far and putt well, but I haven't bought a new disc in at least 20 years, although I've seen the new stuff a few times with friends I played with and a friend gave me a Valkyrie and holy crap that thing can fly - need to try some of the newer ones you mentioned. Just last fall I played with two guys from work in their late 20s, once they found out I used to play a lot and these guys were razzing me about how they'd destroy me - I beat them both by 5-6 strokes, lol - they were truly dumbfounded when I outdrove them on some holes and was more accurate.

I also have some really old classic plastic, including a Wham-O 50 mold (about 190 g in a slightly smaller diameter than the standard 165 g ultimate frisbees), which I still used as my mid-range approach disc, even after the breakthrough small/heavy discs came out. And I have a Midnight Flyer. I did play in one tourney at the RU course about 10 years ago and had several players offer me $$ for these, but no way.

Funny you mentioned the rotator cuff. I tore mine about 5 years ago on my main throwing arm (I can throw with both arms, but am better righty - would always surprise people when I had a blocked angle to the hole switching to lefty, lol - that also used to help in Ultimate) playing keeper in soccer and did the surgery and it's better than it was before - did you not get surgery for some reason? Especially if you were that good of a ball golfer. Best I got was to about a 7-8 handicap in the late 80s/early 90s when I would play 3-4 times a week. I also rarely play ball golf either, but am raring to go on both kinds of golf this spring, since I just retired (time was a big issue for me as I worked way too much).

Assuming I get back into it, yeah, if I'm ever out that way, I'll ping you on the board, assuming I can find the thread, lol. And if you come to NJ, let me know. Do you play in pro tourneys or are you just a serious amateur?

Also, for those who have never seen it, below is the link to the PDGA history page, which is pretty cool, and to a now-famous shot by Philo Brathwaite that I just came across when I was surfing around after seeing this thread. Amazing shot from over 400 feet into the hole, after negotiating some trees.

https://www.pdga.com/history

Yeah I guess I count as an oldtimer now, which is probably why the stats on my "career" are so wrong (I probably won about $500 in the years I played seriously, not $44 and I joined in 83 not 87). I played with people like Dan "Stork" Roddick and Ed Headrick (the father of disc golf) in that 1982 event at Rutgers and played regularly with quite a few folks in the first few thousand of PDGA members, like Barry Noakes, Scot Wittman, Dan Doyle, Theo "Sunny" Cade and more - and didn't realize my old friend Victor Malafronte was PDGA member #2!

I play a couple of times a year, still, with my old plastic, like the Lightning, the Eagle, the XD and such and can still throw it pretty far and putt well, but I haven't bought a new disc in at least 20 years, although I've seen the new stuff a few times with friends I played with and a friend gave me a Valkyrie and holy crap that thing can fly - need to try some of the newer ones you mentioned. Just last fall I played with two guys from work in their late 20s, once they found out I used to play a lot and these guys were razzing me about how they'd destroy me - I beat them both by 5-6 strokes, lol - they were truly dumbfounded when I outdrove them on some holes and was more accurate.

I also have some really old classic plastic, including a Wham-O 50 mold (about 190 g in a slightly smaller diameter than the standard 165 g ultimate frisbees), which I still used as my mid-range approach disc, even after the breakthrough small/heavy discs came out. And I have a Midnight Flyer. I did play in one tourney at the RU course about 10 years ago and had several players offer me $$ for these, but no way.

Funny you mentioned the rotator cuff. I tore mine about 5 years ago on my main throwing arm (I can throw with both arms, but am better righty - would always surprise people when I had a blocked angle to the hole switching to lefty, lol - that also used to help in Ultimate) playing keeper in soccer and did the surgery and it's better than it was before - did you not get surgery for some reason? Especially if you were that good of a ball golfer. Best I got was to about a 7-8 handicap in the late 80s/early 90s when I would play 3-4 times a week. I also rarely play ball golf either, but am raring to go on both kinds of golf this spring, since I just retired (time was a big issue for me as I worked way too much).

Assuming I get back into it, yeah, if I'm ever out that way, I'll ping you on the board, assuming I can find the thread, lol. And if you come to NJ, let me know. Do you play in pro tourneys or are you just a serious amateur?

Also, for those who have never seen it, below is the link to the PDGA history page, which is pretty cool, and to a now-famous shot by Philo Brathwaite that I just came across when I was surfing around after seeing this thread. Amazing shot from over 400 feet into the hole, after negotiating some trees.

https://www.pdga.com/history

Man you just threw some serious names out there. What an amazing thing to have played with Steady Ed. They have discs now signed by him selling for over $1000. Then you went and dropped that you have that Whamo and Midnight Flyer...0__0 Man What I would do to have one of those.... Which number Midnight flyer is it? You've got some history in your bag there. I honestly may just have to make the drive out to Jersey and play a round with you because I'm kind of dumbfounded at some of those names you are throwing out. I play with a few low 1000's players out this way like Linc Morgan and Donnie Brooks but no one like Steady Ed or Roddick...

As for me the last couple of years I played both Open and Advanced and didn't collect cash when I placed to keep my amateur status with Am Worlds right up the street from me last year. Basically if it was a C tier I played open but A or B tier I played Advanced. I've got a few C Tier wins in my life but nothing major, I haven't played any NT events like the Memorial but I played the Deleware Challenge a couple years ago and got top 10 in advanced while it was still an A tier.

I did get surgery on my shoulder however I got frustrated with Ball Golf when I recovered mostly because my timing was off and short game had gone to sh*t after not playing for 6 months. Meanwhile I was playing more disc golf with some buddies and having more fun and spending less money so I just kind of followed. It takes half the time, a 10th the cost and was more fun to me than ball golf so I never really looked back.

This year in Disc Golf I'm going full Open and intend to collect cash so I guess you could consider me a pro (I'm currently a 962 rated player so I'm better than most but no where near the touring pros like Mcbeth, Ricky, or Climo back in the day). It's funny you mention that you throw an eagle because that's a disc that's a go to for people who have played basically before the Destroyer was released in 06 but newer players never throw it. Greg Barsby is one of the best in the world and still throws one.

If and when we meet I'll gift you with a Discmania FD and a Firebird. I'm kinda shocked you didn't mention throwing a firebird but that might have come out at the tail end of when you stopped buying discs. Don't worry I'll get you set up! The FD is just pure fun, It's the closest thing to flying like a midrange as a fairway driver on the market. More so than Teebirds

Reactions: RU848789
I also played many tournaments at Rutgers back in the '80s and '90s when the Disc Devils were running the Saturday morning events. Bob and Jim Graham are still actively involved and back in November ran a sanctioned PDGA event using temp baskets at Oak Ridge Park in Clark.

I still play from time to time and bought my son a bag with a driver, midrange and putter when he started at Rutgers this year.

I also played many tournaments at Rutgers back in the '80s and '90s when the Disc Devils were running the Saturday morning events. Bob and Jim Graham are still actively involved and back in November ran a sanctioned PDGA event using temp baskets at Oak Ridge Park in Clark.

I still play from time to time and bought my son a bag with a driver, midrange and putter when he started at Rutgers this year.
Keep growing the sport! I’m 30 now and introduced my dad to the game a few years back. He’s 65 now and we still get together every month and play. Those are my favorite rounds to play, go out with your son and make some memories!

Never played Frisbee Golf, but did play Ultimate at Rutgers back in the 70s with Irv Kalb, Dan (Stork) Roddick, Al Bonopane and a host of others. Great team, great people....

The non-Rutgers football part of my office:

itMTxHm.jpg

Greystone in Morris County Central Park and Stafford Woods are two of the best courses in the state.

I threw and partied with Stork, a teammate on three National Championship Ultimate teams, on June 6 in Central Park, NYC last summer. He was being honored by the NYC Circus disc community, who flew him in from LA for the event. Also there were Flash and Jim Palmieri, from Rochester. All three of them have PDGA numbers under 50, btw. I am a noob with PDGA #073 @yessir321 The story behind this is that Doyle was in front of me when we signed up with the PDGA at a tournament at Craigmeur. He got like #314 and was like: "WTF?"

I had played the object course that Stork designed at Douglass/Cook before the baskets. We used to drag Scott around that course back when he was about 12 years old and not strong enough to throw it over the building on the ninth hole, which he reminded me about last year.

GREAT times.

Greystone in Morris County Central Park and Stafford Woods are two of the best courses in the state.

I threw and partied with Stork, a teammate on three National Championship Ultimate teams, on June 6 in Central Park, NYC last summer. He was being honored by the NYC Circus disc community, who flew him in from LA for the event. Also there were Flash and Jim Palmieri, from Rochester. All three of them have PDGA numbers under 50, btw. I am a noob with PDGA #073 @yessir321 The story behind this is that Doyle was in front of me when we signed up with the PDGA at a tournament at Craigmeur. He got like #314 and was like: "WTF?"

I had played the object course that Stork designed at Douglass/Cook before the baskets. We used to drag Scott around that course back when he was about 12 years old and not strong enough to throw it over the building on the ninth hole, which he reminded me about last year.

GREAT times.
Man I didn't realize we had so many OG golfers on this board, that's awesome! Are you still trowing and playing? If you haven't bought a new disc in a while I cannot stress how improved they are and easy to throw. It's almost like skiing 40 years ago when everyone rode 210's and now it's completely different.

Maybe for a later game weekend this year I'll have to make the trip up and ping this board to see if I can get a morning round organized amoung some of the members here. That would be good times!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT