ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Disney World

The wife and I have been to Hawaii twice- lucky for us- both times were part of a Presidents Club Trip. Even better- that the trip was for Mortgage Reps at Washington Mutual(WAMU) before the bottom fell out. lol
Please- completely paid for except for the one free day off, but even that- she was allowed to put everything into an expense report.
The first year was Kona- Waikoloa Resort...So unique to play golf with all the black lava- Second year was Maui Grand Wailea Resort-
Both times- flew business class direct no stops.
No way in hell I would want to be paying what these trips cost now. But Hawaii is a bucket list trip for anyone.
How long is the flight direct like 9 hrs?

How stupid a comment…. how sexist a statement …I’ve been to WDW 6 times since 1980 with my wife , sons and granddaughter and though it has its girlie aspect never thought it anything but a time to be with my family. You must have been abused as a child… Or never were taken to WDW . Funny how this thread has many , many virile males posting about Disney World. Expensive sure… large crowds absolutely and tiresome . You should try it … oh and you would call most of the guys who go with family too girlie… some maybe? Most no.

Sorry - core Disney is girlie-centric and Disney had problems selling crap to boys for a long time.
Princesses seeking princes, little mermaids, Moana, Frozen, Snow White, Mulan and such - non-transmogrified boys aren't enamored of that stuff like girls are. Disney made The Jungle Book to get the boys interested (they like Star Wars and such but Disney didn't create SW and have done a lot to wreck it)

"Men and Boys, Boys and Men

Generally speaking, women and girls see Disney’s magic castle logo on a trailer and are pulled closer. The opposite can be true with guys. So Disney aggressively and repeatedly pitched “The Jungle Book” to male audiences.

Commercials on ESPN portrayed the movie as coming not from the studio that made “Cinderella” but “from the studio that brought you ‘Pirates of the Caribbean.’” An extended 3-D trailer for “The Jungle Book” was attached to “Star Wars: The Force Awakens,” which had an audience that was 58 percent male."

Disney’s Savvy Marketing of ‘The Jungle Book’​

"Disney aims to capture the elusive boys market"

LOS ANGELES - While little girls gleefully wear Cinderella's gown, don Jasmine's slippers or otherwise play with toys from the panoply of Disney Princess characters, little boys are not clamoring for Prince Charming merchandise.

``Boys don't seem that enamored of princes,'' said Robert Iger, president of The Walt Disney Co.

That gender divide is a problem for Disney, which did score a hit with boys with the ``Toy Story'' movies of the 1990s but which has faltered in recent years with action adventure films such as the animated ``Atlantis: The Lost Empire'' and ``Treasure Planet.'' Its Princess line of tiaras, flouncy gowns, toys, books and videos, meanwhile, is a worldwide business generating sales of more than $2 billion annually for Disney and its licensees."

Pretty unsurprising divide tbh

Men like Disney mostly for their wives and kids and have little desire for return visits (polling shows) but the women feast on that stuff.

I went to Orlando when I was 17 and parts of it were cool (Haunted Mansion) but mostly it felt like a tourist trap and ordeal. I've never been an amusement park guy (and women like those more than men)

BTW- I have been to Disney in my 20’s with first wife- no kids. Had a blast. Went back after divorce- just me and the kids- had a blast- went back by myself and met some buddies down there- had a blast, went with current wife once- no kids and once with a group of parents and kids- had a blast each time.
Though, I do like Universal better and the water parks- but have never had a bad day.

Sorry - core Disney is girlie-centric and Disney had problems selling crap to boys for a long time.
Princesses seeking princes, little mermaids, Moana, Frozen, Snow White, Mulan and such - non-transmogrified boys aren't enamored of that stuff like girls are. Disney made The Jungle Book to get the boys interested (they like Star Wars and such but Disney didn't create SW and have done a lot to wreck it)

Generally speaking, women and girls see Disney’s magic castle logo on a trailer and are pulled closer. The opposite can be true with guys. So Disney aggressively and repeatedly pitched “The Jungle Book” to male audiences.

Commercials on ESPN portrayed the movie as coming not from the studio that made “Cinderella” but “from the studio that brought you ‘Pirates of the Caribbean.’” An extended 3-D trailer for “The Jungle Book” was attached to “Star Wars: The Force Awakens,” which had an audience that was 58 percent male."

LOS ANGELES - While little girls gleefully wear Cinderella's gown, don Jasmine's slippers or otherwise play with toys from the panoply of Disney Princess characters, little boys are not clamoring for Prince Charming merchandise.

``Boys don't seem that enamored of princes,'' said Robert Iger, president of The Walt Disney Co.

That gender divide is a problem for Disney, which did score a hit with boys with the ``Toy Story'' movies of the 1990s but which has faltered in recent years with action adventure films such as the animated ``Atlantis: The Lost Empire'' and ``Treasure Planet.'' Its Princess line of tiaras, flouncy gowns, toys, books and videos, meanwhile, is a worldwide business generating sales of more than $2 billion annually for Disney and its licensees."

Men like Disney mostly for their wives and kids and have little desire for return visits (polling shows) but the women feast on that stuff.

I went to Orlando when I was 17 and parts of it were cool (Haunted Mansion) but mostly it felt like a tourist trap and ordeal. I've never been an amusement park guy (and women like those more than men)
No you’re actually in a category most don’t agree with. This isn’t just about boys and their feminine side. For me it is about my granddaughter age 7 who enjoys Disney’s Princesses , the more sensitive side they way it was for many many years. Now you evidently know very little about return trips to WDW-Disneyland. Can ‘t argue with stupid. Yes it’s expensive and overpriced but so is food , taxes, owning a home . Guess you don’t have girls?

Much of a moron . There is nothing like admitting to being a misogynist on a Rutgers shorts board.

Capt. Jack Sparrow says hold my tri-corner hat.

No way I could sit on plane that long
Yes you could since there are so many interactive movies, games , and the realization it has many things to see and do. Always suggest doing 2 islands if the first trip out there. Each island is different and a separate experience. You can do a stop over say LA or San Francisco but for me it’s not worth it. Leave EWR between 8: 15-9:30 am arrive 1:15 -2:15 pm if on schedule. Happy hour by 4 pm for most . Fall asleep around 9 pm wake-up 4-5 … first day . Early start at the beach. Mahalo!!!!

Much of a moron . There is nothing like admitting to being a misogynist on a Rutgers shorts board.
Gratuitous hostility and name calling over trifles is an indicator of ego-failing and denial.
That's why I never do it and keep sane

Exactly - and you're making my point (which Disney itself has been well aware of).
No … are you married ? Do you have children? If you have children it is almost a foregone conclusion at some point you will be back. Wouldn’t matter to me boys or girls. Who doesn’t love rides. Who doesn’t remember when times were simpler . Spending time with my family encompasses and always has been important. BTW: nobody disputes costs or what it’s favoring towards . You created that it is a “ girlie “ thing . You don’t think that sounds wrong and you know what side of the argument I’ve been on for sometime now.

Denial , gratuitous, ego? You need a lot of help. Still haven’t answered the questioned. Married? Children? Or a basement dweller?

Denial , gratuitous, ego? You need a lot of help. Still haven’t answered the questioned. Married? Children? Or a basement dweller?

Being upset/toxic is also a feminine weakness - on them its kinda ok though - grampas not so much lol.

Upset? Toxic.? Your the one claiming “ it’s girlie”.So we have determined you are single…a male misogynist … living in his parents house at age 38... with no CHILDREN … you probably travel very little and if and when you do it’s with another guy. You’re tight with a buck … and avoid the opposite sex. Funny you haven’t answered about having a wife or kids. Why would that be (Ash Ok An ). 🤫😎🤡

No you’re actually in a category most don’t agree with. This isn’t just about boys and their feminine side. For me it is about my granddaughter age 7 who enjoys Disney’s Princesses , the more sensitive side they way it was for many many years. Now you evidently know very little about return trips to WDW-Disneyland. Can ‘t argue with stupid. Yes it’s expensive and overpriced but so is food , taxes, owning a home . Guess you don’t have girls?
Agree with everything but you don’t need girls. My boys had a blast. And since we never had girls - even when we went as a group with kids- every kid happened to be boys…go figure. And they were all between 9-14.
We and they, had a blast.
And if you get to skip the parades and the fairy tail type things- you get to do more cool stuff.
And we are including Universal and Water parks too.
I am actually curious on how much different it may be when we go back with our Granddaughter.

The fact remains Disney has issues. It still can be a place to have fun with kids and their family. Universal better for older kids and fantastic rides. We do both when down there.

I love Disney. I eat Chik Filet and I buy stuff at Hobby Lobby.

I also don’t care who Travis Kelce dates or that he made a commercial for Pfizer.

Any of you people that make buying decisions on anything beyond the product bewilder me.

I love the Grand Floridian.
I love water falls and slides in pools.
I love monorails.
I love frozen bananas.
I love lazy rivers, paddle wheel boats and the old south.
Haven’t been to Disney in 5 years, but the last time I went my girls basically took me.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUBOB72
When my wife and I used to go on our own- our favorite had always been Epcot. But that was when younger and we both drank and ate a lot more.
Used to work our way completely around that world. Used to stop at a stand that I believe made margarita's nad then work around- Japanese Sake tasting, French Wine tasing, Octoberfest, Tequilas in Mexico - and so on- and eat depending on what we may be in the mood for...

We barely drink now and don't eat as much so I think Epcot may lose some of its charm on us now. lol

When my wife and I used to go on our own- our favorite had always been Epcot. But that was when younger and we both drank and ate a lot more.
Used to work our way completely around that world. Used to stop at a stand that I believe made margarita's nad then work around- Japanese Sake tasting, French Wine tasing, Octoberfest, Tequilas in Mexico - and so on- and eat depending on what we may be in the mood for...

We barely drink now and don't eat as much so I think Epcot may lose some of its charm on us now. lol
I bought the Disney timeshare with the expectation that my wife and I would go at the end of January most years and spend most of our time at Disney Springs.

My granddaughter wanted to go last year so since she has school we went in August. We had no trouble with the heat and my granddaughter went on every ride and had a blast. She barely made it over the height qualification for many and the pictures of this little 4-year-old on some rides with her hands up in the air and a huge smile are the best. She had no fear.

We are going in August again this year.

I love the Grand Floridian.
I love water falls and slides in pools.
I love monorails.
I love frozen bananas.
I love lazy rivers, paddle wheel boats and the old south.
Haven’t been to Disney in 5 years, but the last time I went my girls basically took me.
I loved seeing the joy on my granddaughter’s face when she first saw the Castle at the Magic Kingdom . Her meeting and lunch with Snow White. The excitement for her was real. My wife and I who had waited many years to have a grandchild who cared if it was girlie. I understand some don’t like it. Some think it too expensive . Others don’t care for the political aspects involving WDW. I have been fortunate… not born into wealth… so if going to WDW is girlie well blame it on my softer side.Merry Christmas and GO RU!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Checking in from Christmas week.

Do not recommend.

We were able so far to get on most rides we wanted but average wait is an hour. Big rides (those not in the virtual queue category - which is interesting concept) with multiple HOUR waits. The Avatar ride today had a wait of +3 hours. Lion King show at 4pm was queuing at 11am. Had to make the choice to sacrifice a bit for our own sanity. Sent HS’ers to water park.

Guess it’s early open and grind the am and give up the afternoon/evening.

Also the mass of humanity is a bit overwhelming and because it’s people oblivious to others you are constantly on guard to avoid crashing into someone. Hard to breathe in some cases.

Kids and wife love it here but even they said it’s not worth it especially for the cost. The Geanie + is fine but man it’s expensive enough and to have to pay $30 more per ticket per day just to try and get a ride is a bit of a slap in the face… it I get it some are able to and willing to pay…

Couldn’t imagine being a senior citizen trying to navigate this…

Heard the week after Thanksgiving os the best week to go - if you have young kids or grands that you can pull out of school that is the time to go.

I bought the Disney timeshare with the expectation that my wife and I would go at the end of January most years and spend most of our time at Disney Springs.

My granddaughter wanted to go last year so since she has school we went in August. We had no trouble with the heat and my granddaughter went on every ride and had a blast. She barely made it over the height qualification for many and the pictures of this little 4-year-old on some rides with her hands up in the air and a huge smile are the best. She had no fear.

We are going in August again this year.
If you are okay with the heat, August is a great time to go. Summer crowds decrease due to most of the south starting school.

Checking in from Christmas week.

Do not recommend.

We were able so far to get on most rides we wanted but average wait is an hour. Big rides (those not in the virtual queue category - which is interesting concept) with multiple HOUR waits. The Avatar ride today had a wait of +3 hours. Lion King show at 4pm was queuing at 11am. Had to make the choice to sacrifice a bit for our own sanity. Sent HS’ers to water park.

Guess it’s early open and grind the am and give up the afternoon/evening.

Also the mass of humanity is a bit overwhelming and because it’s people oblivious to others you are constantly on guard to avoid crashing into someone. Hard to breathe in some cases.

Kids and wife love it here but even they said it’s not worth it especially for the cost. The Geanie + is fine but man it’s expensive enough and to have to pay $30 more per ticket per day just to try and get a ride is a bit of a slap in the face… it I get it some are able to and willing to pay…

Couldn’t imagine being a senior citizen trying to navigate this…

Heard the week after Thanksgiving os the best week to go - if you have young kids or grands that you can pull out of school that is the time to go.
You really need the Genie+ service for crowded days. And buy individual lighting lane reservations for the super big rides. It all costs extra money, but you get much more done by mitigating lines.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
Disney is supposed to change Genie in January too ??????… no official word.
They are going to allow booking a certain amount of reservations in advance. Sound familiar? Just like the old Fastpass Plus system! People are complaining that they are on their phone way too much.

Seriously, they only need to make one change to the Genie+ system and it will be fine. Allow customers to select the specific time for a reservation (not the earliest one available), just like you can with the paid individual lighting lanes. That would eliminate 95% of the time on your phone f'ing with times are moving reservations around until the time you want becomes available.

They are going to allow booking a certain amount of reservations in advance. Sound familiar? Just like the old Fastpass Plus system! People are complaining that they are on their phone way too much.

Seriously, they only need to make one change to the Genie+ system and it will be fine. Allow customers to select the specific time for a reservation (not the earliest one available), just like you can with the paid individual lighting lanes. That would eliminate 95% of the time on your phone f'ing with times are moving reservations around until the time you want becomes available.
Yes I believe that is correct.

11 1/2 hrs. going out from Newark… 9 1/2 hrs return flight . Fastest time in 18 trips was 10 hrs. 15 minutes… fastest time back Hono to EWR was 9 hrs. flat … love dem tail winds.
United just recently ditched the nonstop EWR to HNL flights

Not sure when that occurred again as the flight was reinstituted back in August . The Ewr to Hono flights went off yesterday and today . Delayed but that is inaccurate about ditched. . We were there May for 3 weeks last our 18th trip. The summer schedule occurred due to the 767 ‘ s being refurbished in Beijing . That is I believe completely done. The info you provided is wrong.

I loved seeing the joy on my granddaughter’s face when she first saw the Castle at the Magic Kingdom . Her meeting and lunch with Snow White. The excitement for her was real. My wife and I who had waited many years to have a grandchild who cared if it was girlie. I understand some don’t like it. Some think it too expensive . Others don’t care for the political aspects involving WDW. I have been fortunate… not born into wealth… so if going to WDW is girlie well blame it on my softer side.Merry Christmas and GO RU!!!!!!!!!!!!
You seem to be taking this way too personally. Some people can like it or dislike it for their own reasons.

My family enjoyed Disney and we scheduled each day based on the all inclusive dining, and would try restaurants in different parks as it allowed for rest. I heard they removed this option.

Unfortunately, politically I would not give them a dime right now.

I have been to Hawaii numerous times and it is a wonderful experience. My suggestion is to get the Entertainment Book (Hawaii edition) for dining and shopping discounts. We always flew non stop.

hoop de doo review til I die (likely from clogged artieried from the fantastic fried chicken)

what made disney world, imho, was customer service. they treated customers like gold and customers felt it. that wss the magic

the moves to put profits first have hurt that quite a bit.. most say so. and that they take those considerable profits derived from park customers to pay for woke movies thst lose money.. and cut the park experience, nevermind not reinvesting.... maddening

and imho, eic universe opens in 2025 and will be 3X the size of magic kingdom... if the get customer service right... look out.

Not sure when that occurred again as the flight was reinstituted back in August . The Ewr to Hono flights went off yesterday and today . Delayed but that is inaccurate about ditched. . We were there May for 3 weeks last our 18th trip. The summer schedule occurred due to the 767 ‘ s being refurbished in Beijing . That is I believe completely done. The info you provided is wrong.
Got a direct United EWR to HNL booked for mid/late March, 767-400.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT