ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Drawing on board expertise: Toms River for a retirement residence?

So the kids can sit at the same dinner table and attend the same social gatherings but cant ride a bus together? Got it. I am all for religious freedom but I am all for doing the right thing for the better good of society. But I love how you don't respond to posts where your gaslighting is proven incorrect.

There is a very easy way to fix this as I mentioned.

NJ changing its law that forces towns to pay for private school busing.

You can imagine the backlash on that, though...it will go beyond Lakewood. But I think most would support it.

IMO - you pay for private school, you pay for your kid to get there, be it a yeshiva, catholic school, prep school, whateever.

Second i would crack down on private schools where kids are not learning. NYT did an expose on NYC yeshivas and many if not most male students are graduating without being able to pass English tests. That tax dollars are helping this effort where kids who want to leave the community will not be able to function in society is abhorrent. We would never tolerate that in a public school.

But again- we'd have to look at all private schools which my guess would be would get push back too.

That you can afford.

The newcomers I was talking about aren’t riding around in Subarus trying to get your catalytic converter.

Truth is, a lot of NJ isn't affordable because the demand to be here is high whether you like Subarus or Mini Vans or Miatas or any. But the variety IMO, I'll pay a lil extra for it anyday!

OK I have an idea

We have 10 pages on this

Can we get Tom and a member of the Hasidic community to come in for a roundtable with maybe a First Amendment expert, a zoning law expert, and some local folks in Howell, Jackson, TR etc that are concerned about their communities?

Set it up pre tailgate. Put in a NIL donation to participate.

Would be a win-win. Would have to be first intellectual NIL lol

Reactions: Scarlet1984

You can imagine the backlash on that, though...it will go beyond Lakewood. But I think most would support it.

IMO - you pay for private school, you pay for your kid to get there, be it a yeshiva, catholic school, prep school, whateever.

Second i would crack down on private schools where kids are not learning. NYT did an expose on NYC yeshivas and many if not most male students are graduating without being able to pass English tests. That tax dollars are helping this effort where kids who want to leave the community will not be able to function in society is abhorrent. We would never tolerate that in a public school.

But again- we'd have to look at all private schools which my guess would be would get push back too.
I’m in agreement. I went to parochial school my entire life. My parents paid for bussing and got a minimal subsidy from the town. As mentioned earlier I know people that have left this community. The one women who is now an audiologist told me she feels for the men in this community. Many stop “formal” education at the 3rd 4th grade level. And are then tracked into rabbinical Talmudic studies. Leaving many with no real path to earn a living in anything but something within this community.

I’m in agreement. I went to parochial school my entire life. My parents paid for bussing and got a minimal subsidy from the town. As mentioned earlier I know people that have left this community. The one women who is now an audiologist told me she feels for the men in this community. Many stop “formal” education at the 3rd 4th grade level. And are then tracked into rabbinical Talmudic studies. Leaving many with no real path to earn a living in anything but something within this community.

There's a bajillion documentaries and the like on this by now and I always find it interesting to hear from people that left any ultra religious community. FLDS in AZ/UT border region is another. When it comes to making sure kids get a decent education no matter if it's a public or private school, that's a big one for me. If kids can't do basic math and English and we pay for it, that it obscene and so unfair to them.

I saw that NY Times article. It has seemed to have zero impact. That's probably because, as the story mentioned, the group votes at the direction of their religious leaders...and it's a large voting bloc.
It was stunning how little there is in the way of standards for these kids' education and even less possibility of enforcement.

To both points…

Bussing - good for one good for all. But as mentioned earlier there is a mileage limit. Too far and you’re on your own. The one bus for boys and one for girls though is a tough one to sell IMO.

The stunted growth angle…seen it first hand in a work setting. And the worst part of that (lack of social graces) one of my wife’s best friends had to deal with the group up in Orange County where she lives with her family. She told us the disgusting way they acted towards her in public. Nasty stuff.

Private school busing? Good grief, this is one of the dumbest NJ laws on the books. I am as pro-private school as you can be, but having the public district pay for busing is dumb, dumb, dumb. Get rid of that law.

But in the meanwhile, we do get a nice $1000 "property tax rebate" from our school district each year. :)

Reactions: Leonard23
To both points…

Bussing - good for one good for all. But as mentioned earlier there is a mileage limit. Too far and you’re on your own. The one bus for boys and one for girls though is a tough one to sell IMO.

The stunted growth angle…seen it first hand in a work setting. And the worst part of that (lack of social graces) one of my wife’s best friends had to deal with the group up in Orange County where she lives with her family. She told us the disgusting way they acted towards her in public. Nasty stuff.

Kiryas Joel went to SCOTUS...they make Lakewood look like Park Slope! There have even been issues there with how women dress...Kiryas Joel also has the highest rate on welfare of any city in America, well over 90%.

Would be interesting to see what happens if NJ ditches the bus law. We know NJ pols read here and sounds like the many sides are in agreement on ditching it...we have a fresh batch of folks running, hope they see it!

I think the thread is pretty clear... Tom is an incredibly special, morally-grounded person who simply does not see or transcends race, and almost every other poster on the thread, has to be over 20, are completely racist or antisemitic.

Makes sense and is a logical conclusion to draw.

I think the thread is pretty clear... Tom is an incredibly special, morally-grounded person who simply does not see or transcends race, and almost every other poster on the thread, has to be over 20, are completely racist or antisemitic.

Makes sense and is a logical conclusion to draw.
That’s a thing, Tom is a great poster, in my opinion, one of the best and most levelheaded certainly knowledgeable about a host of things

Which is what makes his take in this thread a complete head scratcher

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT