ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Favorite Horror Movies

Them was the giant ants , right? the thing about those 1950 horror movies was we wre convinced that those things could occur.

An underated movie was the Japanese Rodan

It was a really silly low budget item but Blair Witch Project was creepy

the multiple episode made for tv movie " V " had its unnerving moments

The thing about Them was that Fess Parker and James Arness were in that movie. parker was so good in movie that he was cast as Davy Crockett and Arness got Gunsmoke right after that. Them was the giant ants.

1. Halloween
2. The Shining
3. Rosemary's Baby
4. Invasion of the Body Snatcher 1978
5. Friday the 13th
6. The Tingler
7. The Blob
8. Creature From the Black Lagoon
9. Nightmare on Elm Street
10. Don't Be Afraid of the Dark

Notice they haven't make a good scary movie in about 25 years.
You see the Devils Rejects?

My wedding in 1985. The Head That Woudnt Die. Carnival of Souls. The Brain Eaters. Village of the Damned.Dr. Sardonicus. The Cabinet of Dr Caligari.the Crawling Eye

Excellent call with Event Horizon. Very under rated sci-fi horror classic.
"liberate tuteme ex inferis"
The hell scenes are just about the most disturbing things I've seen in film. Here they are slowed down for you sick bastards:

Reactions: Jersey Boys
you got it...and they tried to do a remake of it for tv and it was awful..ditto for the Omen remake. The problem is that they fail to capture atmosphere...I don't know even if its possible anymore with the way todays kids are wired and everyone having ADD and sped up. Can they make movies like that like they did from the 60s to the 80s where atmosphere drew you in. It certainly did with movies like Halloween and Carrie and Friday the 13th but when they try to make remakes or sequels they fall flat on their face without the atmosphere

I think of recent movies maybe only Insidious and The Conjuring have been able to successfully create atmosphere.
The Strangers was pretty creepy.

Rodan - the Supersonic Hell creature. Didn't really know what it was until later in the movie. Saw it at the Rivoli in NB.

It Came From New Hampshire - watched that at Rutgers Stadium.

Reactions: APKnight
One people usually don't mention is the original version of "The Haunting" from 1963. It was directed by Robert Wise (Sound of Music, West Side Story etc). I don't mind the remake but the original was kinda creepy without using anything graphic A movie that isn't very good but has surprisingly good art direction is "I Know What You Did Last Summer". The plot is bad but the sets and baps are nice

3tb3Ubf.gif

Agree about “The Haunting”...........also thought it was more effective shot in b/w.

Sixth Sense

The Haunting

The Innocents - a psychological horror film from 1961, also in black and white. Deborah Kerr is a governess who watches over two children in a creepy gothic house and comes to fear that the house is haunted by ghosts and that the two children are being possessed.

Horror Hotel aka City of the Dead. Witches in a town in Massachusetts, Whitewood, prey on an unsuspecting college student there to do research. Also in black and white. Very atmospheric with plenty of fog and great camera work.

Carnival of Souls

And of course the Exorcist, the Citizen Kane of horror movies.

Cant beleive no one has picked this one yet but the # 1 Horror Show of all time is the one we have been living the last 9 months.

Twitler the President.

Reactions: HeyHuey
Classic horror including Sci Fi
Frankenstein
Bride of Frank
Son of Frank
The Thing
Forbidden Planet
Dracula
When worlds collide
Day the earth stood still
Rodan
The Blob
World without End
Time Machine
Giant Behemoth
Beast fin 20,000 fathoms
It the terror
House on Haunted Hill
Attack of the crab monsters
Brain from planet Aerous

Modern:
Halloween
Carrie
Night of the living dead
Amittyville Horror
Omen
Alien
Thing (Kurt Russell)
Exorcist
Predator
Terminator
Bram Stokers Dracula

Last edited:
Reactions: bac2therac
yes yes yes...channel 9 on Saturday nights. This movie scared me too...more zombies...watched it again in my 20s and didn't get the same chills but I would want to give this another chance

Believe it or not I own a VHS copy of that movie! Last time I watched it, it seemed a little slow but still some great scenes.

And if you liked that one, what about Deathdream. “Andy’s coming home”

Some other oldies:
Horror Hotel
Horror Express
Don’t look in the basement (original)

For creepiness I thought Sinister had an eerie atmosphere for something more recent..

Reactions: bac2therac
Creepshow
Pet Sematery
The Exorcist
Fright Night (1980's version)
Nightmare on Elm Street
Jaws
The Shining
Evil Dead
American Werewolf in London
Paranormal Activity
Halloween

Some newer, some old. These are my favorites that I can think of.
Is Jaws a horror movie?

Night of the Living Dead
The Shining
The Exorcist
Jeepers Creepers
Nightmare on Elm Street
The Thing (1982 version)
Rosemary’s Baby
The Omen
Burnt Offerings
Alien
The Birds
Don’t Look Now
Several Dario Argento films (Deep Red, Suspiria, The Bird with the Crystal Plumage)

Believe it or not I own a VHS copy of that movie! Last time I watched it, it seemed a little slow but still some great scenes.

And if you liked that one, what about Deathdream. “Andy’s coming home”

Some other oldies:
Horror Hotel
Horror Express
Don’t look in the basement (original)

For creepiness I thought Sinister had an eerie atmosphere for something more recent..
Horror Hotel…good one

Friday the 13th- filmed in Warren County near Hope &Blairstown at a Boy Scout Camp (Camp No-Be Bo- Sco) some of the scenes at Silver Lake where my brother and I would fish .

Night of the Living Dead
The Shining
The Exorcist
Jeepers Creepers
Nightmare on Elm Street
The Thing (1982 version)
Rosemary’s Baby
The Omen
Burnt Offerings
Alien
The Birds
Don’t Look Now
Several Dario Argento films (Deep Red, Suspiria, The Bird with the Crystal Plumage)

Rosemary's Baby was on the other night. Notable that it unfolds like a believable RL experience. A bit overlooked by most.

rosemarys-baby-3.jpg

Reactions: APKnight
It’s strangegetting likes from a thread I wrote in 2 years ago. I reviewed my movie notes, and would not change a thing

Maybe just add in the other horror show “ Diane Sawyer interviews Caitlyn Jenner” on 20/20

Last edited:
Not sure why but "The Changeling" starring George C. Scott scares the crap out of me.

1. Halloween
2. The Shining
3. Rosemary's Baby
4. Invasion of the Body Snatcher 1978
5. Friday the 13th
6. The Tingler
7. The Blob
8. Creature From the Black Lagoon
9. Nightmare on Elm Street
10. Don't Be Afraid of the Dark

Notice they haven't make a good scary movie in about 25 years.

My favorite horror movie is Halloween. My least favorite is last year's Michigan v. RU game (78-0).

Classic horror including Sci Fi
Frankenstein
Bride of Frank
Son of Frank
The Thing
Forbidden Planet
Dracula
When worlds collide
Day the earth stood still
Rodan
The Blob
World without End
Time Machine
Giant Behemoth
Beast fin 20,000 fathoms
It the terror
House on Haunted Hill
Attack of the crab monsters
Brain from planet Aerous

Modern:
Halloween
Carrie
Night of the living dead
Amittyville Horror
Omen
Alien
Thing (Kurt Russell)
Exorcist
Predator
Terminator
Bram Stokers Dracula
Loved the Crab Monsters
X the Unknown
20 million miles to Earth
Not of this Earth
It Conquered the World
Monster from Pedro Blanco
Gargo
It Came from beneath the sea
The Snow Creature
Reptilicus
The Mysterians
Godzilla. The original
Kronos

These would be Hokie today, but good then.

Reactions: Purple-Ed
Can't remember how good or bad this was...just that I used to watch it a lot when I was younger. I guess at the very least it's addictive (and very campy), haha!

Killer Klowns From Outer Space
(1988)In movies, killer clowns are often the corporeal form of malevolent demon creatures, but this may be the only film in which they are aliens. Killer Klowns sits at the nexus of creepy and campy: Its extremely grotesque alien clowns carry sugar-spinning ray guns and keep their victims encased in cotton-candy cocoons. And the fact that the clowns are from outer space helps create an emotional distance between viewers and the clown terrorists.

Loved the Crab Monsters
X the Unknown
20 million miles to Earth
Not of this Earth
It Conquered the World
Monster from Pedro Blanco
Gargo
It Came from beneath the sea
The Snow Creature
Reptilicus
The Mysterians
Godzilla. The original
Kronos

These would be Hokie today, but good then.
All good
Kronos and Piedras Blancas are good.
I forgot The creature and amazing Colossal Man, Also War of the Worlds

Hard to beat the creepy juxtaposition of the sweet and innocent Mr Sandman...against the opening of H2...and that simple, yet stunningly tense Halloween theme...so simply and well done!

The Incredible Two Headed Transplant. Actually it was more funny than scary but not intentionally so. Bruce Dern's best work until Coming Home with Jane Fonda and John Voight.

Reactions: Hamilton's Cannon
Got to mention the original House on Haunted Hill, grew up watching it. Not the scariest but a fun watch from my youth.

Just watched a good Korean zombie movie,
Train to Busan.

Ringu the Japanese original Ring version.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT