Votes: 10 10.0%
  • Sweet Potatoes

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • Gravy

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Other

Votes: 6 6.0%

• Total voters
In Italian American homes there is often an Antipasto an hour or 2 before dinner Extra sharp provolone, salami, proscioutto, olives, artichoke hearts, roasted red peppers, cut up pieces of celery, etc etc , all with a little imported olive oil and red wine vinegar drizzled over it. That is actually my favorite holiday food.

Stuffing my second , especially when it isn't just a plain white bread stufffing. My mom used to make a second stuffing with small pieces of cut up sausage and apple pieces mixed in
A terrific gravy is very important to the whole meal, of course.

We stopped doing the traditional Turkey a few years back. We usually have a family full of Caribbeans, myself and my two sons. She used to make turkey for me and my two sons until she figured out we were devouring the oxtail, curry goat, jerk pork shoulder and fish before we even looked at the turkey. Though, we do still do stuffing and she makes a great mac&cheese.
So- that said...Oxtail is by far the favorite!!! If I have to select traditional- it is the stuffing

Having 20 plus so have to cut a few corners like cranberry jelly out of a can. Can someone explain why the label on the can is upside down??? Same for all brands. Is dyslexia prevalent in the cranberry community?

We are having 20 people over for dinner this year. Today I am smoking 6 turkeys, 5 of which I am giving to friends and nice people. That leaves one smoked turkey for our group. I am also deep frying a turkey on Thanksgiving(my personal favorite) and Janice is baking 2 fourteen pound Butterball turkeys. And since Janice is from Jersey, we will have "Yankee" dressing. But we will also have a large pan of Southern cornbread dressing.
We also have pearl onions every year as a side item as well as rutabagas.

Reactions: borochop
We are having 20 people over for dinner this year. Today I am smoking 6 turkeys, 5 of which I am giving to friends and nice people. That leaves one smoked turkey for our group. I am also deep frying a turkey on Thanksgiving(my personal favorite) and Janice is baking 2 fourteen pound Butterball turkeys. And since Janice is from Jersey, we will have "Yankee" dressing. But we will also have a large pan of Southern cornbread dressing.
We also have pearl onions every year as a side item as well as rutabagas.
What in the world is Yankee dressing?

I am making turkey for the first time in 20 years. I am deep frying it. The year after my dad died (1995), I took over hosting the holidays and agreed with everyone that turkey sucks. So we have been doing Prime Rib and Racks of Lamb ever since. This year I am doing both of those but am adding in the deep fried turkey to give it a chance to redeem itself. Recently made a deep fried duck and it was awesome!!!!!!!

Reactions: FanuSanu52
My brother-in-law puts chopped oysters in the stuffing. Yuck! However, he will put out a great antipasto platter similar to Abro75 and will free pour McCullum 25 year old scotch.

I am making turkey for the first time in 20 years. I am deep frying it. The year after my dad died (1995), I took over hosting the holidays and agreed with everyone that turkey sucks. So we have been doing Prime Rib and Racks of Lamb ever since. This year I am doing both of those but am adding in the deep fried turkey to give it a chance to redeem itself. Recently made a deep fried duck and it was awesome!!!!!!!
Fried my first turkey two years ago and it's the only way I like it now. There is no going bake to oven roasted. Still searching the perfect marinade to inject...

Fried my first turkey two years ago and it's the only way I like it now. There is no going bake to oven roasted. Still searching the perfect marinade to inject...
Any suggestions for a marinade or what NOT to use as marinade?

Prime Rib and Lamb sounds way better than turkey. Alas, I host Christmas dinner, not Thanksgiving so I eat what's put in front of me on the other holidays, including the turkey.

Anyway, it's all about hanging out with family which is way more important than what we eat. Right everyone? :)

Reactions: cicero grimes
Seems like the stuffing is killing it in the polls. Which isn't surprising.

Any suggestions for a marinade or what NOT to use as marinade?
Unfortunately no since the first time I didn't inject anything and only used a rub. The inner meat was very juicy and tender but a little bland.

If you grew up in my household, it would be Lasagna, Chicken Cutlets, Sausage and Peppers, etc... and Oh Yeah, the turkey would be all the way on the other end of the table sitting by itself...

If you grew up in my household, it would be Lasagna, Chicken Cutlets, Sausage and Peppers, etc... and Oh Yeah, the turkey would be all the way on the other end of the table sitting by itself...
exactly! I will not even take a bite of turkey. Antipasto, then Lasagna for me and my mothers meatball soup. Not what it sounds like, it's basically Italian wedding soup.

And all the men at the dinner table will be loosening their belts and opening the top button of their pants at the end of the meal. .

Last edited:
Some of my extended family are Italian. When I host they bring a lasagna. I'm thinking can't these people go a single dinner without eating a pasta?

I love turkey, its great...me thinks that the cooks you have at your dinners have been overcooking it rendering it dry

The place to be in the good old days was by the turkey when it was carved. A few bits of crispy skin really hit the spot. I guess that falls under "turkey"

Reactions: RocktheRac
Raisins in stuffing? What kind of dark sorcery is that?

The best kind of dark sorcery. It's the way my late mother made it, so I guess I have fond memories of it.

As far as sides go, I like everything, but I'd say the sweet potato casserole is my favorite, but there's something to be said for rutabaga as a once a year type item.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT