Votes: 10 10.0%
  • Sweet Potatoes

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • Gravy

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Other

Votes: 6 6.0%

• Total voters
I love turkey, its great...me thinks that the cooks you have at your dinners have been overcooking it rendering it dry
Not in my family, we like everything under cooked. We are more the prime rib, lamb, ham, kielbasa, pork roast kind of folks versus chicken or turkey, I will say I think chicken or turkey is much healthier for you than all that other stuff. Probably explains why the men in my family never make out of their 50's due to heart disease.

On a diet this year so decided to choose between mashed potatoes and stuffing. Mashed potatoes won out and am doing marinated mushrooms since mushrooms are my favorite part of the stuffing, anyway. So I guess that means mashed potatoes are my favorite traditional part of the dinner. But pie (apple, coconut or banana cream, berry, whatever) wins the day.

Also, gravy shouldn't be included on the poll. It's not a food but is the most necessary part of the whole meal.

When I lived in San Diego we used to buy a fried turkey at KC Barbecue . There is no other way to enjoy that particular yardbird

Two things missing from the list. Especially on a football holiday. My top 2.
1: Beer
2: Cigars

I will say I think chicken or turkey is much healthier for you than all that other stuff. Probably explains why the men in my family never make out of their 50's due to heart disease.
Not so sure about that.

My cholesterol, triglycerides and blood sugar had been steadily climbing for years. I finally listened to my doctor and dropped carbs almost entirely from my diet. I eat a ton of protein, including all kinds of beef, pork, lamb, etc. in decently large quantities. Also I eat plenty of butter, olive oil, nuts and other high-fat things.

My cholesterol, and all the other lab results show considerable improvement under this new diet. And I lost weight which always helps.

I doubt medical science has it all figured out yet, but it seems clear that fats are not necessarily the evil that many of us were told they were when I was growing up. I'm not ready to completely condemn carbohydrates either. But for me, at the moment, avoiding them seems to be doing me a world of good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Southern Gentleman
Yankee dressing to a Southernor is dressing NOT made with cornbread.
So Southern, does your cornbread stuffing include sausage and cranberry? Or some variation?
My youngest sister is a former chef. She made pineapple stuffing using cornbread. Before I tasted it I thought she was crazy. Never argue with a trained chef. Awesome.

We keep it simple and healthful these days:

Slow Roasted Whole Turkey (unstuffed)

Roasted then Broiled Vegetables (Green Beans, Asparagus, Mushrooms, Garlic Cloves with Olive Oil and Sea Salt)

Sweet Potato Casserole (with Honey & Jameson)

Fresh Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce (with Orange & Zest)

Gravy

Apple & Blueberry Crumble

Wine

So Southern, does your cornbread stuffing include sausage and cranberry? Or some variation?
My youngest sister is a former chef. She made pineapple stuffing using cornbread. Before I tasted it I thought she was crazy. Never argue with a trained chef. Awesome.

I bet it was awesome!

Janice wants to add some Taylor Ham to it!

She just finished making homemade cranberry sauce tonight. And is cooking rutabagas, and creamed pearl onions tonight.

Cornbread stuffing and creamed pearl onions and celery.
Have to have a really good gravy to make it all work I agree, a warm turkey sandwich the next day and an open hot turkey sandwich for anything left.
To finish off the meal - Fruit of the Forest Pie, whipped cream optional.

Not so sure about that.

My cholesterol, triglycerides and blood sugar had been steadily climbing for years. I finally listened to my doctor and dropped carbs almost entirely from my diet. I eat a ton of protein, including all kinds of beef, pork, lamb, etc. in decently large quantities. Also I eat plenty of butter, olive oil, nuts and other high-fat things.

My cholesterol, and all the other lab results show considerable improvement under this new diet. And I lost weight which always helps.

I doubt medical science has it all figured out yet, but it seems clear that fats are not necessarily the evil that many of us were told they were when I was growing up. I'm not ready to completely condemn carbohydrates either. But for me, at the moment, avoiding them seems to be doing me a world of good.

I'm missing how that argues against the idea that poultry is healthier?

I think the key is to focus on healthier forms of fats, carbs, etc. Nuts, olive oil, etc. for fat, whole grains for carbs, etc. I do think lean meats and fish are healthier protein choices than high fat meats.

there is enough evidence to suggest that turkey/chicken and fish are healthier choices than fattier cuts like beef and pork

I'm missing how that argues against the idea that poultry is healthier?

I think the key is to focus on healthier forms of fats, carbs, etc. Nuts, olive oil, etc. for fat, whole grains for carbs, etc. I do think lean meats and fish are healthier protein choices than high fat meats.
Perhaps. But everything I've been reading lately is saying fats are good, and any carbs, even stuff like wild rice or oatmeal which are considered healthy carbs, are bad for blood sugar. I do know that I feel a lot better when I eat almost no carbs. Hell, I'm supposed to even switch from 1% to whole milk.

All I know is that I did what the doc said (finally) and stopped eating carbs and after two months, my blood tests showed me to no longer be in the danger zone in any category. Whereas prior to stopping with carbs, they were ALL in the danger zone for over 10 years.

It has been almost six months now and things look even better. Might not work for everyone, but it seems, so far, to be working well for me. And I was extremely skeptical of it - pretty much thought it was all BS.

And I have been eating plenty of bacon, steaks, pork, etc. I mean, tons of it.

Perhaps. But everything I've been reading lately is saying fats are good, and any carbs, even stuff like wild rice or oatmeal which are considered healthy carbs, are bad for blood sugar. I do know that I feel a lot better when I eat almost no carbs. Hell, I'm supposed to even switch from 1% to whole milk.

All I know is that I did what the doc said (finally) and stopped eating carbs and after two months, my blood tests showed me to no longer be in the danger zone in any category. Whereas prior to stopping with carbs, they were ALL in the danger zone for over 10 years.

It has been almost six months now and things look even better. Might not work for everyone, but it seems, so far, to be working well for me. And I was extremely skeptical of it - pretty much thought it was all BS.

And I have been eating plenty of bacon, steaks, pork, etc. I mean, tons of it.

You still didn't mention how that relates to poultry, dammit! :p

I've been on the Mediterranean diet (kinda-ish). Focus on low-fat proteins, less but still some carbs, healthy fats like olive oil/nuts, etc. I did it for weight, which it's been brilliant at, but it's supposed to be good for overall health, too. Red meat is supposed to be like once or twice a month (part of the kinda-ish for me : )

Reactions: mildone
You still didn't mention how that relates to poultry, dammit! :p

I've been on the Mediterranean diet (kinda-ish). Focus on low-fat proteins, less but still some carbs, healthy fats like olive oil/nuts, etc. I did it for weight, which it's been brilliant at, but it's supposed to be good for overall health, too. Red meat is supposed to be like once or twice a month (part of the kinda-ish for me : )
LOL. Is true, I forgot to mention poultry. I knew you'd call me on it too.

I do eat a lot of chicken, mostly blackened chicken w/melted cheddar. Some BBQ chicken w/melted cheddar too, but the BBQ sauce has carbs, so...

Anyway, we've moved way off Thanksgiving foods.

Reactions: FanuSanu52
Having 20 plus so have to cut a few corners like cranberry jelly out of a can. Can someone explain why the label on the can is upside down??? Same for all brands. Is dyslexia prevalent in the cranberry community?
piss poor excuse. You can make homemade cranberry a week ahead of time.

Stuffing for the win. I wil eat cold stuffing right out of the fridge for the next week
For turkeys I make 3. Two smoked with Apple/cherry mix and one deep fried.
id like to eliminate the headache of the fryer but nephew loves it.

Day after Thanksgiving sandwich made with leftover Turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, and either gravy or mayo on poppy seeded hard roll. Get in my belly. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Go RU!
Diane

Day after Thanksgiving sandwich made with leftover Turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, and either gravy or mayo on poppy seeded hard roll. Get in my belly. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Go RU!
Diane

That's the stuff. The Thanksgiving Feast 'wich.

Reactions: vkj91
Homemade cranberry sauce blows.
Guess it depends on the recipe. I grew up on canned stuff and love it but what I make now is great. For the record, I hate berries so it's not some hippie concoction. Frozen dark cherries, tart cherries, brown sugar, Marsala, cranberries, herbs, triple sec, and grand marine.
Money, especially mixed with mashed.....

Okay, that does sound pretty good.

I usually get skeeved by the chewy cranberry chunks, though, which is why I just go with the smooth canned stuff. That, plus it couldn't be easier.

Easy-Peasy "Homemade" Cranberry Sauce Recipe:
1 package of fresh cranberries
1 Orange (juice and zest only)
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup honey

Put all in pot. Bring to boil. Lower to simmer. Cover loosely. Done in 12 minutes, or until consistency is to your liking. Make it two days ahead of time.

Stuffing for the win. I wil eat cold stuffing right out of the fridge for the next week
For turkeys I make 3. Two smoked with Apple/cherry mix and one deep fried.
id like to eliminate the headache of the fryer but nephew loves it.

Sounds great! My wood chip mix is 1/2 hickory, 1/4 apple, 1/4 pecan.

As I say every year, I hate almost all traditional Thanksgiving food, except for stuffing, which I love. Turkey is my least favorite meat (I'll eat it), which is why we're doing ham this year. I hate mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, cucumber salad, green beans, yams, pumpkin pie, and even my mom's famous cranberry sauce mold. I survive on turkey, stuffing, and rolls, lol. I'd take McDonald's or even Brower over T-giving food every day of the week.

Gluten free stuffing with no bs fruit or whatever in it. My cousin has one of those needs a bubble kids and turned me on to it.

Not sure why, but I like it more than any stuffing I have ever had.

Oh, and the friturra dolce my wife makes. Eat that for days.

Lastly, the crab cakes I make are always a hit, outside of the turkey itself.

As I say every year, I hate almost all traditional Thanksgiving food, except for stuffing, which I love. Turkey is my least favorite meat (I'll eat it), which is why we're doing ham this year. I hate mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, cucumber salad, green beans, yams, pumpkin pie, and even my mom's famous cranberry sauce mold. I survive on turkey, stuffing, and rolls, lol. I'd take McDonald's or even Brower over T-giving food every day of the week.

Blasphemy

We stopped doing the traditional Turkey a few years back. We usually have a family full of Caribbeans, myself and my two sons. She used to make turkey for me and my two sons until she figured out we were devouring the oxtail, curry goat, jerk pork shoulder and fish before we even looked at the turkey. Though, we do still do stuffing and she makes a great mac&cheese.
So- that said...Oxtail is by far the favorite!!! If I have to select traditional- it is the stuffing
I can't believe curried goat wasn't one of the options.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
I love turkey, its great...me thinks that the cooks you have at your dinners have been overcooking it rendering it dry

My thoughts exactly seeing all of these people who don't like turkey. I just think its a shame so many people apparently have never had it properly cooked...

Number 1 for me is my wife's stuffing. Everything else is a distant second and below.
However 2nd is sweet potato casserole with marshmallows.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT