ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Fictional Characters Whose Death You Still Haven't Gotten Over

Doctor Worm

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 8, 2002
What fictional characters, be they human or otherwise, had memorable deaths which still bug you to this day? Could be from books, movies, plays, TV, whatever.

To start things off, I offer the following:

1) Col. Henry Blake from MASH. Talk about an unexpected plot twist!

2) Hercule Poirot from Agatha Christie's Poirot. C'mon Agatha, couldn't you have just let him retire?

3) Adrianna from The Sopranos. Drea de Matteo has said that was the hardest scene she ever had to do - because Stevie Van Zandt (whose character was her killer) just couldn't bring himself to do it. She had to coach and encourage him.

4) The old man's wife from the animated movie "Up". If a cartoon can bring tears to your eyes, this is the one.

5) Jack Woltz's horse in The Godfather. James Caan once remarked how odd it was that with all the human beings killed in the movie, this is the death that is most remembered.

So... what'cha got?

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
Poor Donny

mGgqew.gif

For people from the nineteenth century, it was the death of Little Nell in Charles Dickens' The Old Curiosity Shop. A generation later, Oscar Wilde wrote, "One must have a heart of stone to read the death of little Nell without laughing."

Reactions: Doctor Worm
Old Yeller. I can’t deal with any animal deaths in movies. But that aside, even with unsavory characters in fictional series, you sometimes develop an attachment and know they are getting what should come to them, but it’s still upsetting. Maybe that’s just damn good writing and acting…

What fictional characters, be they human or otherwise, had memorable deaths which still bug you to this day? Could be from books, movies, plays, TV, whatever.

To start things off, I offer the following:

1) Col. Henry Blake from MASH. Talk about an unexpected plot twist!

2) Hercule Poirot from Agatha Christie's Poirot. C'mon Agatha, couldn't you have just let him retire?

3) Adrianna from The Sopranos. Drea de Matteo has said that was the hardest scene she ever had to do - because Stevie Van Zandt (whose character was her killer) just couldn't bring himself to do it. She had to coach and encourage him.

4) The old man's wife from the animated movie "Up". If a cartoon can bring tears to your eyes, this is the one.

5) Jack Woltz's horse in The Godfather. James Caan once remarked how odd it was that with all the human beings killed in the movie, this is the death that is most remembered.

So... what'cha got?

Your #1 was the first one I thought of!

Reactions: Doctor Worm
Big Bang Theory

Wolowitz Mother.
A fictional death necessitated by a real life death.

While we're in that subcategory, I'll go back in time and nominate Mr. Hooper from Sesame Street.

You produce a show for preschoolers. A key actor dies. What do you do? Sesame Street made the very controversial decision to deal with it honestly. A lot of two year olds learned about death for the first time.

Your #1 was the first one I thought of!
If you recall, the final Col. Blake MASH episode had ended happily, or so we thought. They went to the final commercial and returned for the one minute denouement when usually nothing happens.

Col. Blake didn't have to die. It was unnecessary to the overall plot line. And yet, it was so necessary.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT