ADVERTISEMENT

OT: For RU golf fans

Since the ecological preserve was once farmland and a military base and the little development in there was once a golf course, I think Rutgers should take half of it closest to Livingston and make it a new golf course better suited to today's game. After which, they turn the old golf course into an ecological preserve and study its transition from golf course to the wildlands.

• Haha
Reactions: HPNJRUfan
Since the ecological preserve was once farmland and a military base and the little development in there was once a golf course, I think Rutgers should take half of it closest to Livingston and make it a new golf course better suited to today's game. After which, they turn the old golf course into an ecological preserve and study its transition from golf course to the wildlands.
What???????

You mean, turn the old golf course into the new yellow lot?

• Haha
Reactions: jtung230
What does "better suited fir today's fame" mean?

You mean, turn the old golf course into the new yellow lot?
No.. that won't happen. Mostly likely outcome would be to keep both courses going. But making it a preserve would be more justifiable if you are taking away more space in the current reserve. And being able to use modern eco science to monitor it's return to nature could be a fine educational effort.

The history of the current reserve shows it was used for WWII Army camp, etc.. so why not a new golf course? Maybe even an on-campus hotel and conference center? Build a new president's house there and use the current space for another function... maybe put the hotel there...

• Haha
How ‘ bout we just realize Rutgers doesn’t need a new golf course. Preserve the surrounding land and let nature decide the future of those precious acres. Going back to when my area of Essex , Union County’s had three dairy farms which supplied milk to thousands. Fields of flowers, trees , grassland and believe it or not actual wildlife. We all want progress but a new golf course ? Now that is just idiocy and less than 70 years past.

What does "better suited fir today's fame" mean?
If you mean "todays game".. it means everyone knows the course, while good, is short. 6300+ yards par 71.. Trump National in Bedminster is 7580 yards par 72. U Michigan 6730yds par 71. U of Illinois has 2 courses, blue is older and shorter at 6479yds but the newer orange course is 6866yds.

A bunch of Big Ten courses made this list of top 40 on-campus courses.. we may not have enough room to make the list.. but the Rutgers course is a gem... just a small gem.

How ‘ bout we just realize Rutgers doesn’t need a new golf course. Preserve the surrounding land and let nature decide the future of those precious acres. Going back to when my area of Essex , Union County’s had three dairy farms which supplied milk to thousands. Fields of flowers, trees , grassland and believe it or not actual wildlife. We all want progress but a new golf course ? Now that is just idiocy and less than 70 years past.
And what if someone said those dairy farms should be an ecological reserve and let it grow wild? You know.. how it was BEFORE they cleared the land and built dairy farms?

The dairy farms were there from at least the late 1800’s to early 1900’s . I recall at an early age from at least 1953-1954 (post WWII ) what happened not because of modernization but farmers/milk producers forced out and taken over by new apartments, a major thoroughfare, Rutgers golf course is iconic though short by today’s standard. Most aren’t very good on that course now though I personally found it relatively easy and enjoyable as a 7 handicap for 20+ years. It’s up to RU. If they feel it’s doable then they will but the reality is we need other venues and buildings before some 7 k plus golf course.

If you mean "todays game".. it means everyone knows the course, while good, is short. 6300+ yards par 71.. Trump National in Bedminster is 7580 yards par 72. U Michigan 6730yds par 71. U of Illinois has 2 courses, blue is older and shorter at 6479yds but the newer orange course is 6866yds.

A bunch of Big Ten courses made this list of top 40 on-campus courses.. we may not have enough room to make the list.. but the Rutgers course is a gem... just a small gem.
Isn't an easier solution juat to add 500 yards to the existing course by moving some tee boxes or greens? It's not a lot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT