ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Rutgers Marching Band is playing in the 97th Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade- Looking for donations

The long term goal of a dedicated practice field & facility for the band and new uniforms are worthy goals. Maybe the parade is just being used as a lever to encourage people to donate? The AD should absolutely be covering the cost of attending the parade for the band. It's not like they even need hotel rooms!

The long term goal of a dedicated practice field & facility for the band and new uniforms are worthy goals. Maybe the parade is just being used as a lever to encourage people to donate? The AD should absolutely be covering the cost of attending the parade for the band. It's not like they even need hotel rooms!
It's a disgrace that RU is not providing a meal for the band members. Sheesh even I got to eat some pizza on the plane ride back with the team from Notre Dame back in the early 2000's.

Reactions: RUDave_01
It's a disgrace that RU is not providing a meal for the band members. Sheesh even I got to eat some pizza on the plane ride back with the team from Notre Dame back in the early 2000's.
C'mon.. Rutgers cannot afford to pay for the students in the band to play in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade every year!

..oh.. that's right.. what is it, once every 20 years kinda thing? Just buses, no plane tickets...

And what does Rutgers get out of it?

..oh.. that's right.. brand awareness spot for millions of viewers.. and hundreds of thousands of alums.. for the price of buses and a meal or two?

Agreed. This has nothing to do with raising money for the parade, transportation or meals associated. The picture posted on that website clearly shows a check made out to the Rutgers Marching Band from Macy's in the amount of $10k.

C'mon.. Rutgers cannot afford to pay for the students in the band to play in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade every year!

..oh.. that's right.. what is it, once every 20 years kinda thing? Just buses, no plane tickets...
Actually, the link says it is the band's first ever appearance in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Even worse than you said.

Desperate times call for desperate measures! I guess Bidenomics isn't working out so well for the RU Band either.

Desperate times call for desperate measures! I guess Bidenomics isn't working out so well for the RU Band either.
To be fair, the lack of a dominant manufacturing base here is the responsibility of both parties as well as the business communities. Bidenomics is just the end of the line worst-thing-you-can-do thing on top of all that.

Agreed. This has nothing to do with raising money for the parade, transportation or meals associated. The picture posted on that website clearly shows a check made out to the Rutgers Marching Band from Macy's in the amount of $10k.
I don’t know if the athletics department is covering anything, but $10,000 is not covering buses for 350 people, including overtime for holiday, driving for 9 to 10 bus drivers, plus meals in New York City.

For reference, renting one school bus in my district for about four hours, costs at least $400-$500 dollars on a weekday to go 20 miles from our school building (if we can even find a driver).

should send this to a RU friendly politician or local media reps. Use them

I don’t know if the athletics department is covering anything, but $10,000 is not covering buses for 350 people, including overtime for holiday, driving for 9 to 10 bus drivers, plus meals in New York City.

For reference, renting one school bus in my district for about four hours, costs at least $400-$500 dollars on a weekday to go 20 miles from our school building (if we can even find a driver).
I’ve run overnight bus trips plenty of times. Last one being 2 years ago during Christmas break between Christmas and new years ski trip out of state 4 days. 5 busses didn’t come anywhere near 10k/day. 10k for busses for that amount of people for same day is plenty. Plus Academy is one of Rutgers athletics sponsors

What's wrong with Antilles Field? :WooHoo:

Seriously. How about any unoccupied athletics field? The Blue lot, the yellow lot, the RAC parking lot, the Stadium parking lot. A local park?

Now I'm the first person to expand NIL benefits to the band or cheerleaders but a dedicated practice field for a marching band? LOL. Ya'll want a field house, locker room, whirlpools, aroma therapy? LOLOL

Macy's has never invited the RU marching band before? That's unbelievable.
I believe you have to petition to be considered for selection. My wife's high school marched in it once, and in at least one yankees championship parade. It takes leadership with interest in these activities to be on top of the critical dates.

Seriously. How about any unoccupied athletics field? The Blue lot, the yellow lot, the RAC parking lot, the Stadium parking lot. A local park?

Now I'm the first person to expand NIL benefits to the band or cheerleaders but a dedicated practice field for a marching band? LOL. Ya'll want a field house, locker room, whirlpools, aroma therapy? LOLOL
I have teh solution.. the bubble.. build a football indoor practice field where the tennis courts are now.. move the tennis elsewhere... give the bubble to the band... and for community activities.. an emergency shelter, etc.

I could see a use for a band practice facility if you want them to get as good as OSU. Mount a camera somewhere high and live-stream to a projector to show them what their formation looks like as they do it. would help them hit their marks, get their shapes right.. I think I get why they want a full-sized practice field.

Last edited:
I believe you have to petition to be considered for selection. My wife's high school marched in it once, and in at least one yankees championship parade. It takes leadership with interest in these activities to be on top of the critical dates.
Rutgers gonna Rutgers.

absolutely unconscionable that RU wouldn't pay. Everyone should inundate the Prez's office Monday

Technically, the Marching Band has been in a Thanksgiving Day parade before. Just not Macy's.

Letterman - 11/25/97

Show #0915​

Dave brings in cab driver Carlos Andrede, who becomes the master of ceremonies in the hastily-produced "Carlos Andrede Thanksgiving Day Parade," featuring performances from Miss New York 1998 and the Rutgers University Marching Band.

A bunch of us from the marching band were recruited to be part of the Disney World float in the Macy's Parade in the mid 80's.

school should pay for this, find it amazing it is not

where is the link to donate to the kids?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT