ADVERTISEMENT

OT: For the love of firewood

BROTHERSKINNY

Heisman Winner
Oct 21, 2010
So my GF and I bought a house with a fireplace. We are still debating whether to convert it to a wood burning stove insert. During the colder months we love having a fire and usually will burn three nights a weekend(please don't yell at me about my carbon footprint because I don't care). Anyhow, I have had to find a way to source and stack firewood for our fires. In NJ most of the people I know just call a guy who will drop off a face cord or two of firewood and either stack it or pay someone to stack it for them. While I can afford to do it that way, for me that is out of the question. I have never liked going to a gym and running and lifting weights indoors. its just not my thing. So I have always used working around the house, even in winter as my way to burn calories and stay relatively in shape.
As a result of our burning habit I have gotten into some mild lumberjacking and I love it. Going into the woods with my axe, chainsaw, and logging tools has been one of the nicest experiences I have had through the pandemic. I go out there cut some wood, load it up into the car, and have a few hours out in nature getting a good workout, lifting, cutting, chopping, and stacking wood. Right now I have about 3 cords of oak, cherry, ash, and maple seasoning for next winter. I am just wondering if there are any others on the board who love the whole process of getting firewood.

hehehehehehe-he-said-wood.jpg

Be careful with axes and the new girlfriend. Don't make her mad.

1jts.gif

In happier times:

d879ed3661b70e30eb70e0637aa9a996.gif

tumblr_mmbcbfdL0C1qchfeio3_250.gifv

So my GF and I bought a house with a fireplace. We are still debating whether to convert it to a wood burning stove insert. During the colder months we love having a fire and usually will burn three nights a weekend(please don't yell at me about my carbon footprint because I don't care). Anyhow, I have had to find a way to source and stack firewood for our fires. In NJ most of the people I know just call a guy who will drop off a face cord or two of firewood and either stack it or pay someone to stack it for them. While I can afford to do it that way, for me that is out of the question. I have never liked going to a gym and running and lifting weights indoors. its just not my thing. So I have always used working around the house, even in winter as my way to burn calories and stay relatively in shape.
As a result of our burning habit I have gotten into some mild lumberjacking and I love it. Going into the woods with my axe, chainsaw, and logging tools has been one of the nicest experiences I have had through the pandemic. I go out there cut some wood, load it up into the car, and have a few hours out in nature getting a good workout, lifting, cutting, chopping, and stacking wood. Right now I have about 3 cords of oak, cherry, ash, and maple seasoning for next winter. I am just wondering if there are any others on the board who love the whole process of getting firewood.

I have almost always split my own wood with an axe maul. I have alsoused a splitter when the wood has tons of knots and I bury several wedges in a log. We lost a huge oak tree in Sandy (i counted 126 rings) that I split by hand and it gave us at least a couple years of wood. I’ve also cut up downed trees in a wooded area across the street. My back isn’t as good as it used to be an using a chain saw actually hurts more than swinging an axe. My guess is I’ll be using a splitter more and more as time goes on but I kind of enjoy that too.

Have to have something to cover the firewood—

I have almost always split my own wood with an axe maul. I have alsoused a splitter when the wood has tons of knots and I bury several wedges in a log. We lost a huge oak tree in Sandy (i counted 126 rings) that I split by hand and it gave us at least a couple years of wood. I’ve also cut up downed trees in a wooded area across the street. My back isn’t as good as it used to be an using a chain saw actually hurts more than swinging an axe. My guess is I’ll be using a splitter more and more as time goes on but I kind of enjoy that too.

For years, I though a maul, wedges and/or splitting grenades were the way to split wood. That may be true for larger logs. But for logs under 2 feet in diameter, there is nothing better than a splitting axe. While the one @BROTHERSKINNY looks nice, I have become partial to Fiskars, with the composite handle. It is very light, and great to work with. Have had this model for years.

You may want to get one of these....https://www.thelogox.com/

For years, I though a maul, wedges and/or splitting grenades were the way to split wood. That may be true for larger logs. But for logs under 2 feet in diameter, there is nothing better than a splitting axe. While the one @BROTHERSKINNY looks nice, I have become partial to Fiskars, with the composite handle. It is very light, and great to work with. Have had this model for years.

I have the x27. It is a great splitting axe. I love it and it gets the job done efficiently.

Yea, I’ve got 100 year old axes that were my grandfathers, mauls, sledge hammers and wedges, and hybrid axe mauls that look somewhat like the Fiscars. Good stuff!

Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY
For years, a wood stove was my only heat source. I can tell you after a while, only the first cord is recreation. After that its hard work. Nonetheless, there's no better warmth than backing up to a hot wood stove on a cold day.

@BROTHERSKINNY is correct--if swinging an axe is something you enjoy--it is fun and great exercise too. However, it is dangerous if you don't know what you are doing and not for everyone. My two sons fail to see the joy or value in chopping wood.
And look how many responses this thread is getting. That's why this board and the OTs never cease to amaze me. I remember when a guy posted looking for travel tips in Istanbul a while back. I'm like, okay, let's see what THIS thread gets back. He was flooded with all sorts of recommendations. This board community is unique and a cut above (pun intended today) the others out there.

That's what I use too - the Fiskars, along with an Estwing wedge and sledge.

OP: I have a wood burning masonry fireplace right now which I don't use much because it's useless for warmth. I've mostly used my wood in my outdoor fire pit (yeah, yeah, I know. Even more useless for warmth). I've thought about a wood burning insert with integrated fan to distribute the heat. I've shopped around a bit and like the Osburn models for its price-to-value ratio. I don't know if I'll pull the trigger just 'cause it's a rather hefty investment.

And look how many responses this thread is getting. That's why this board and the OTs never cease to amaze me. I remember when a guy posted looking for travel tips in Istanbul a while back. I'm like, okay, let's see what THIS thread gets back. He was flooded with all sorts of recommendations. This board community is unique and a cut above (pun intended today) the others out there.
Honestly, I didn't know if I would get any response. Another thing that came to mind is how gas fireplaces are replacing wood at a rapid pace. I get it, flip a switch and blue flame comes on. When you are done, flip a switch and blue flame goes off. No muss, no fuss, But what is missing? first, the skill of building a controlled fire. It had been at least 20 years since I had built a fire in a fireplace. My skills were weak and I used alot of newspaper and matches to get the fire going. over the past three years my skills have greatly improved and I can get a fire going with one piece of newspaper. Secondly, the Snap, crackles and pops of a real wood fire. That just does not happen with a gas fire. lastly, the smell of burning wood, that you can only get burning wood. Call me sentimental, but one of my fondest memories growing up as a kid was gathering around the fireplace at holidays. Back then it was wood or nothing.
Back on point, I am surprised this thread has had this many responses, which shows what a diverse and ecclectic community the TKR board is.

Honestly, I didn't know if I would get any response. Another thing that came to mind is how gas fireplaces are replacing wood at a rapid pace. I get it, flip a switch and blue flame comes on. When you are done, flip a switch and blue flame goes off. No muss, no fuss, But what is missing? first, the skill of building a controlled fire. It had been at least 20 years since I had built a fire in a fireplace. My skills were weak and I used alot of newspaper and matches to get the fire going. over the past three years my skills have greatly improved and I can get a fire going with one piece of newspaper. Secondly, the Snap, crackles and pops of a real wood fire. That just does not happen with a gas fire. lastly, the smell of burning wood, that you can only get burning wood. Call me sentimental, but one of my fondest memories growing up as a kid was gathering around the fireplace at holidays. Back then it was wood or nothing.
Back on point, I am surprised this thread has had this many responses, which shows what a diverse and ecclectic community the TKR board is.
IIRC, someone ridiculed me for suggesting an electric fireplace. In California, building codes are limiting or eliminating all natural gas appliances. We built a house in Arizona where running the gas line to the lot was not worth it, and we went with an electric fireplace. We have no regrets. It is fun to change the colors of the flames and the stones.

I get, split and stack over 5 cords a year. All by hand. It's awesome exercise and a nice little stress reliever.
Weird thread.
Yeah, you dont get it.

X27 is the bomb. I switched to using a skinnier maul and wedge back a ways and then to the X27 a couple years ago. It is an awesome axe and well worth it. Relatively effortless, quicker and more efficient. All the guys in the neighborhood have X27s now after letting them use mine. The X25 is a little too short. The Fiskars hatchet is great and can split hairs.
Did Schiano encourage you to start this thread? Just keep your head down, and KEEP CHOPPIN!
Forget Greg. There are some on here who were Chopping long before he showed up. We just cant recruit like him though, so I guess he can stay.

I did the buy a cord (or half cord) thing. I did the pick up free wood (always lots of free firewood being offered in the more rural areas of NJ by folks who've had trees come down on their properties) and split it myself thing.

Now I just grab bundles of dried split wood at the food store. I don't need to clutter up my yard storing a bunch of wood. Don't need to worry about bringing in wood w/insect infestation or that got moldy sitting outdoors. Don't need to worry about being sold a different type of wood than was advertised (which happened a couple times).

• Sad
Reactions: newell138
Curious where you're getting the wood from. Have to imagine it's illegal to cut down trees on public land. I own some property and have had people come on and cut trees on my land, which did not make me so happy.

Reactions: RUDead
IIRC, someone ridiculed me for suggesting an electric fireplace. In California, building codes are limiting or eliminating all natural gas appliances. We built a house in Arizona where running the gas line to the lot was not worth it, and we went with an electric fireplace. We have no regrets. It is fun to change the colors of the flames and the stones.

Knightshift, I get it convenience is a nice thing but something is lost with gas and electric stoves. There is a romanticism that is lost with those easier options. To each his own, but for me nothing will top a real wood fire, Its funny but when we have guests over they are very intrigued with our real wood fireplace. "That is so cool" and statements similar are becoming more and more prevalent as wood gets replaced with more modern options. Maybe someday when my body gives out and I can no longer trek into the woods I will convert but for right now all the sawing, chopping and stacking is helping me stay as young as I can and then sipping a fine single malt in front of the fire on a cold winter night as it snaps, crackles and pops its way to embers!

We have a lot of fires over the winter. I have never bought firewood, I always find downed trees or other sources. We cut it all by hand, both sawing and chopping. I have a couple of axes, a couple of sledges and a few wedges I use. Need to rustle up some more wood as we pretty much exhausted our supply this past winter. I also need to either replace an axe handle or just get a new axe. That x27 looks interesting, but $60?

@BROTHERSKINNY where do you go to get firewood?

Curious where you're getting the wood from. Have to imagine it's illegal to cut down trees on public land. I own some property and have had people come on and cut trees on my land, which did not make me so happy.
The development I live in has several wooded lots. I got permission from the board of trustees to cut any wood that is already on the ground. My estimate is It would take me five years or more just to get most of the wood that is already felled. I will not need firewood for quite some time with my current available supply.

Reactions: RUDead and RUShea

Knightshift, I get it convenience is a nice thing but something is lost with gas and electric stoves. There is a romanticism that is lost with those easier options. To each his own, but for me nothing will top a real wood fire, Its funny but when we have guests over they are very intrigued with our real wood fireplace. "That is so cool" and statements similar are becoming more and more prevalent as wood gets replaced with more modern options. Maybe someday when my body gives out and I can no longer trek into the woods I will convert but for right now all the sawing, chopping and stacking is helping me stay as young as I can and then sipping a fine single malt in front of the fire on a cold winter night as it snaps, crackles and pops its way to embers!
I got this too! I set up my home office in the basement (nothing says leave me the eff alone more than a basement office). It's a 250SF finished room, but a bit chilly, so I had to get a space heater. Then I thought, well space heater is fine, but why not an electric fireplace for a little visual to go with the heating function? I don't prefer to a wood fire, but when you don't have another choice, it's fun.

I am curious as to whose woods you are clearcutting?

The town? county? state? some private owner unaware of your activity in their woods?

And what trees have you decided need not live any longer?

• Wow
Reactions: newell138
We have a lot of fires over the winter. I have never bought firewood, I always find downed trees or other sources. We cut it all by hand, both sawing and chopping. I have a couple of axes, a couple of sledges and a few wedges I use. Need to rustle up some more wood as we pretty much exhausted our supply this past winter. I also need to either replace an axe handle or just get a new axe. That x27 looks interesting, but $60?

@BROTHERSKINNY where do you go to get firewood?
Spanky, that is cheap! Some of the splitting axes made in Sweden go for close to $200....some even more.

http://hultsbruk1697.se/

https://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/

You are willing to spend $100 on a bottle of single malt scotch that will last you a year or two. How about a handcrafted axe that will last you your life, your kids life and your grandchildrens life! "Grandpa DJ Spanky left me this handcrafted Swedish axe he bought in 2021, and this empty bottle of single malt" LOL!

Last edited:
Splitting and stacking wood has certain therapeutic appeal to me...but does anyone out there buck logs by handsaw? My POS Wallyworld chainsaw kicked the bucket and I've been mulling over the prospect of using a bowsaw or old school crosscut saw to buck logs into rounds. Anybody do this or is it just ridiculous?

Splitting and stacking wood has certain therapeutic appeal to me...but does anyone out there buck logs by handsaw? My POS Wallyworld chainsaw kicked the bucket and I've been mulling over the prospect of using a bowsaw or old school crosscut saw to buck logs into rounds. Anybody do this or is it just ridiculous?
Not ridiculous but extremely tiresome. For the first two years we were in our house and using the fireplace, I would go out into the woods with a bow saw. Honestly it was just too much work and a few times my arm felt like it was going to fall off. Finally I bit the bullet and bought a Stihl MS 170 saw from a dealer. This was a game changer and allowed me to cut and move more wood in an hour than I could in four hours with the bow saw. I bought mine last year during Stihl Dealer days which should be starting any day. My cost all in for the saw was $160. I bought a few chains, Oil and fuel mix(extends the warranty an additional year). The saw is unbelievable reliable once you know the starting proceedure. I am actually looking to move up to one of their Farm and Ranch saws because some of the wood in my area is too large for the entry level MS 170. I have bucked up to 20 inches with this saw but anything beyond that is above its comfort zone.

BTW- My first season using the saw I cut, split and stacked two cords of wood. so in that first season I paid for the saw and then some. Plus, I cut. split and stacked another three cords this year. So in my area a cord of wood from a wood seller goes for roughly $200/cord delivered. 200 x 5 = $1000 that I would have spent buying my wood. AND a few times I have made a couple of hundred bucks cutting wood for neighbors. Their donations were unsolicited. So all in. the saw actually has made me money.

Last edited:
Did you buy this or do you plan to buy this? If it's the former, what do you think of it?
RUSK97, I just bought it and it is being delievered today. After I use it a few times I will give a review. The reviews I read in various places were mostly good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT