ADVERTISEMENT

OT: For the love of firewood

By the way, da boys got me the Fiskars x27 for my birthday, haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I have a ton of wood I've been collecting over the past couple of months. Nothing terribly thick, about 9-10 inches at the thickest, but later in the summer we'll give it a shot.

Maybe you missed it but there’s a very long political/CE post directly above yours.

By the way, da boys got me the Fiskars x27 for my birthday, haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I have a ton of wood I've been collecting over the past couple of months. Nothing terribly thick, about 9-10 inches at the thickest, but later in the summer we'll give it a shot.
Sorry for your wood issues. Some of my wood is 36-42 inches at the thickest. Been splitting with a maul and multiple wood grenades.

Now that you mention it, I believe I did hear a rumor going around that your wood wasn't terribly thick. 😉

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Loaded up the firewood shed early this spring. Have a few stacks of rounds on a lower level of the property; they've been there three years, so need to get used asap. Will haul up what's salvageable this fall and stack it covered thru the winter as backup. And split it when temps fall below freezing and stay there for a week, which makes for easy splitting.

I always try to cut standing dead trees around the property as the first option. A neighbor, though, offers split firewood to the community, pretty much at cost. He has a gas splitter, too, whereas I use a maul or a splitting axe-- a good workout.

My process: down a tree, buck it up into rounds of 15", store it on pallets for at least a year. Then split and stack it in the shed to use. We transfer wood to a porch caddy (2-week supply), which supplies an indoor caddy that holds a 2-day supply.

In our cabin's main living area, we have a Vermont Castings Inteprid II woodstove which is super-efficient. Serves as a secondary heat source. But, in a pinch, it can heat the whole place comfortably.

Keep Choppin'.

34370141.jpg

Reactions: RUPete
You will power right through that with your new X27 and your Scotch muscles!

Thanks you for your concern about my wood, although it's a little creepy.
You know I have the mad love for you Spanky, you sexy beast. And don't go claimin' it's unrequited; I can feel the love emanating from you (or maybe it's just the sheep). 😍

As a kid, my Dad got a wood burning furnace. It eventually had to account for 8 kids, 5 BR's, 3.5 baths etc...
So, we were splitting wood by hand on a daily basis. He usually had at least 3 -5 cord always stacked and ready. He was also a butcher at Grand Union, so he would usually have a huge stack of pallets always available too. He would go out with one or two of us in his VW Wagon, 24 inch chainsaws and take down 1-3 trees weekly. load them into that wagon bring them home and the splitting began. And then he would wake up every weeknight when we were in school to refill the furnace at around 3am. Summers and weekends, it would be one of us older boys that had the task.
He was still doing this well into his 80's and often sneaking out and chopping down trees himself.
Years later- when I had my house with mult fireplaces. we were just ordering 1/2 cords and stacking them. Until we got a couple of loads that were split way to large for a casual fireplace. Since none of them were super large and they were already seasoned, I got a splitting Axe from HD and had a blast splitting them. Until...one cold sunday during the NFL season, I wanted a nice fire in the greatroom to watch the games. So, out I go, no goggles and what happens- one of the splits jumped up and caught me square in the nose.
I felt it bleeding some and started in for the house when the wife comes out with horror in her eyes- she saw what happened from the window. I asked her to just get me a cloth so I could stop the bleeding as I wanted to finish up.
She was till horrified and made me come upstairs where she butterflied some bandages on my nose and made me go to the ER. Little did I know, the entirety of the skin on my nose was flapped off of it and bone was showing.
Took 6 internal stitches, 16 external stiches and a plastic surgeon.
She threw the splitting Axe out the next garbage day.

Last edited:
As a kid, my Dad got a wood burning furnace. It eventually had to account for 8 kids, 5 BR's, 3.5 baths etc...
So, we were splitting wood by hand on a daily basis. He usually had at least 3 -5 cord always stacked and ready. He was also a bitcher at Grand Union, so he would usually have a huge stack of pallets always available too. He would go out with one or two of us in his VW Wagon, 24 inch chainsaws and take down 1-3 trees weekly. load them into that wagon bring them home and the splitting began. And then he would wake up every weeknight when we were in school to refill the furnace at around 3am. Summers and weekends, it would be one of us older boys that had the task.
He was still doing this well into his 80's and often sneaking out and chopping down trees himself.
Years later- when I had my house with mult fireplaces. we were just ordering 1/2 cords and stacking them. Until we got a couple of loads that were split way to large for a casual fireplace. Since none of them were super large and they were already seasoned, I got a splitting Axe from HD and had a blast splitting them. Until...one cold sunday during the NFL season, I wanted a nice fire in the greatroom to watch the games. So, out I go, no goggles and what happens- one of the splits jumped up and caught me square in the nose.
I felt it bleeding some and started in for the house when the wife comes out with horror in her eyes- she saw what happened from the window. I asked her to just get me a cloth so I could stop the bleeding as I wanted to finish up.
She was till horrified and made me come upstairs where she butterflied some bandages on my nose and made me go to the ER. Little did I know, the entirety of the skin on my nose was flapped off of it and bone was showing.
Butcher at Grand Union, not Bitcher, correct? The reason I ask is that we have plenty of Bitchers at work - they are a dime a dozen. And that's an insane story. It's a good thing that you couldn't see what happened right away, but damn, your wife had to see it!

Last edited:
I believe I was supposed to come over for some scotch and grilled salmon to show you the X27. Oh well. There's always just scotch and salmon.
Sorry for your wood issues. Some of my wood is 36-42 inches at the thickest. Been splitting with a maul and multiple wood grenades.
For exercise purposes, that's a good routine but it's a waste of time if you split multiples of cords a year. The X27 splits wood with ease and efficiency. I almost feel guilty using it because of the reduction of effort to complete the same tasks versus a maul.
So, we were splitting wood by hand on a daily basis. He usually had at least 3 -5 cord always stacked and ready. He was also a bitcher at Grand Union, so he would usually have a huge stack of pallets always available too. He would go out with one or two of us in his VW Wagon, 24 inch chainsaws and take down 1-3 trees weekly. load them into that wagon bring them home and the splitting began. And then he would wake up every weeknight when we were in school to refill the furnace at around 3am. Summers and weekends, it would be one of us older boys that had the task.
Great story to tell around the campfire...if only you had the axe and wood for a fire now. Once I had a shard of metal fly off a wedge and lodge in my shin. I'm pretty sure I hit an artery as evidenced by the bright red blood streaming down my leg. I didnt realize the metal was in there until it became infected and I had it xrayed and surgically removed. Fun times!!!

You know I have the mad love for you Spanky, you sexy beast. And don't go claimin' it's unrequited; I can feel the love emanating from you (or maybe it's just the sheep). 😍

So do you still pick up your sheep in your woody?

I believe I was supposed to come over for some scotch and grilled salmon to show you the X27. Oh well. There's always just scotch and salmon.

Damn, and we just did salmon on Saturday. First time in a long time. We kind of took a break after Lent. But still got scotch, wood and the axe.

For exercise purposes, that's a good routine but it's a waste of time if you split multiples of cords a year. The X27 splits wood with ease and efficiency. I almost feel guilty using it because of the reduction of effort to complete the same tasks versus a maul.
It is indeed good exercise. I have an X27 (or something close) for wood with minimal girth, like @DJ Spanky 's wood, the X27 is awesome. However, for manly, mammoth wood with 36-42" diameter, it is a multiple wood grenade, wedge and maul operation. Yes, I could rent a powered splitter, but what fun is that? I like to challenge myself, and damn I feel like I accomplished something when I causes a big thick log to split in half.

Butcher at Grand Union, not Bitcher, correct? The reason I ask is that we have plenty of Bitchers at work - they are a dime a dozen. And that's an insane story. It's a good thing that you couldn't see what happened right away, but damn, your wife had to see it!
My takeaway is that he was able to raise 8 kids on a butcher’s pay. Honest work, good living. Those were the days back then

My takeaway is that he was able to raise 8 kids on a butcher’s pay. Honest work, good living. Those were the days back then
We had a great German butcher in my town for many years, but he couldn't find an apprentice to take over. It was a shame. Had incredible bratwurst, weisswurst, cold cuts, steaks, etc. The place wound up as a bakery and is still doing well though. Different customer base, but doing well.

Damn, and we just did salmon on Saturday. First time in a long time. We kind of took a break after Lent. But still got scotch, wood and the axe.
I can't eat salmon or, really, any other type of seafood.

There's just something fishy about it.

It is indeed good exercise. I have an X27 (or something close) for wood with minimal girth, like @DJ Spanky 's wood, the X27 is awesome. However, for manly, mammoth wood with 36-42" diameter, it is a multiple wood grenade, wedge and maul operation. Yes, I could rent a powered splitter, but what fun is that? I like to challenge myself, and damn I feel like I accomplished something when I causes a big thick log to split in half.
Exactly. You have your routine. For the 36-42" rounds, I'd still use the X27 and either hammer a few strikes to split it in half or work around in a circle and take chunks off the edges before splitting it in half.

Dad did good. We lost our Mom very early too. She was only 40 and at that time, 6 boys. But lots of hard work. He was also trying to fill about 1/4 acre of our backyard that was about 3/4 ft lower then the area front and back of it. All 6 of us, each summer day had to get 4 Wheelbarrows of dirt from the woods behind our property each before we could play, on top of splitting and piling wood.
then 8 hours of bikes forts and whiffleball

We split about 4 cords or more a season. No way do I have the time or energy to do that manually. It's all engines and hydraulics on this farm. Chainsaws, Wood splitter and front loader to move. If I had to split manually, my family would freeze to death.

We split about 4 cords or more a season. No way do I have the time or energy to do that manually. It's all engines and hydraulics on this farm. Chainsaws, Wood splitter and front loader to move. If I had to split manually, my family would freeze to death.
imagine 4 kids between 8-14 splitting about 10-12 cords every year. And all of us were "undersized" kids. It isn't like we have 4 future NFL OL doing it. lol
But- for the kids now a days- we split wood, did wheelbarrows of dirt and got that done by 10-11am. then played bikes, and baseball or football until dark. Sometimes just grabbed a couple pieces of bread for lunch and a hose full of water and would be pissed if one of the other kids had to go in for a real lunch.

Last edited:
Reactions: koleszar
imagine 4 kids between 8-14 splitting about 10-12 cords every year. And all of us were "undersized" kids. It isn't lie we have 4 future NFL OL doing it. lol
But- for the kids now a days- we split wood, did wheelbarrows of wood and got that done by 10-11am. then played bikes, and baseball or football until dark. Sometimes just grabbed a couple pieces of bread for lunch and a hose full of water and would be pissed if one of the other kids had to go in for a real lunch.
Between the upkeep and building on the farm and my Masonry company, I just don't have the time nor will, to do that brutal chore manually. I've tried it and the time and energy would leave me drained to do other chores. I learned the saying, "there's always something to do on a farm" is quite true. You just can't ever seem to catch up. Once you've completed a bunch of chores, the 1st one you completed is ready to be done again.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Between the upkeep and building on the farm and my Masonry company, I just don't have the time nor will, to do that brutal chore manually. I've tried it and the time and energy would leave me drained to do other chores. I learned the saying, "there's always something to do on a farm" is quite true. You just can't ever seem to catch up. Once you've completed a bunch of chores, the 1st one you completed is ready to be done again.
I'll come by and chop some wood, if you give me some wrestling tickets!

I'm the opposite. Since I am a desk jockey, and the most physical work I do during the work day is opening my laptop, I'm always up for hard labor.

And, yet... it's a good life. Isn't it?

And, yet... it's a good life. Isn't it?
It's definitely not something I envisioned myself doing when I was younger. But when you marry a Rutgers Animal Science major, I guess you could say I should have expected it. I've grown to enjoy working on my own property raising our own animals. It's become like my little oasis in a sea of madness.

I'll come by and chop some wood, if you give me some wrestling tickets!

I'm the opposite. Since I am a desk jockey, and the most physical work I do during the work day is opening my laptop, I'm always up for hard labor.
The sight of you manually splitting firewood in my backyard would hurt my eyes.😁 You know we're small, only about 8 acres total. There's just so much stuff to do. I figure, if I can just make each job a tiny fraction easier the overall picture will become that much more enjoyable. I've been in the market to buy every attachment for the Tractor(3pt. hitch)/ATV I possibly can.

My brother in law who is a retired fire inspector says hell no. Then again, he says no to candles and the like too. Not worth the cost-cutting in my opinion. Aside from creosote, you can also have pest nests in your stack.
He sounds like a real joy to be around. Lol

Basic safety and maintainence are "see spot run" level tasks. Pests are only a problem if you let your wood rot.
Pluses far outweigh the minuses.

Reactions: koleszar
Travis Fimmel Lumberjack GIF by The Roku Channel

Reactions: Knight Shift
Ummmmmmm............nah, that's just too easy!
That's the whole idea. However, if I wanted an easy life, I wouldn't have started a Masonry Company nor bought a farm. My accountant always says to me, giggling as he shakes his head, "what the hell is wrong with you? Picking two of the hardest professions". What can I say, I'm a Rutgers fan, I'm a glutton for punishment.

Last edited:
That's the whole idea. However, if I wanted an easy life, I wouldn't have started a Masonry Company nor bought a farm. My accountant always says to me, giggling as he shakes his head, "what the hell is wrong with you? Picking two of the hardest professions". What can I say, I'm a Rutgers fan, I'm a glutton for punishment.

Methinks you missed the insinuation I was making concerning "attachments".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT