ADVERTISEMENT

OT: For the love of firewood

Not ridiculous but extremely tiresome. For the first two years we were in our house and using the fireplace, I would go out into the woods with a bow saw. Honestly it was just too much work and a few times my arm felt like it was going to fall off. Finally I bit the bullet and bought a Stihl MS 170 saw from a dealer. This was a game changer and allowed me to cut and move more wood in an hour than I could in four hours with the bow saw. I bought mine last year during Stihl Dealer days which should be starting any day. My cost all in for the saw was $160. I bought a few chains, Oil and fuel mix(extends the warranty an additional year). The saw is unbelievable reliable once you know the starting proceedure. I am actually looking to move up to one of their Farm and Ranch saws because some of the wood in my area is too large for the entry level MS 170. I have bucked up to 20 inches with this saw but anything beyond that is above its comfort zone.
$160 for that saw - that's like stealing it from the dealer. It's a remarkable price.

I think you're right. I'm going to take my bowsaw in my backyard and see if I can cut a round without passing out. Otherwise it's time for a new chainsaw. Or I might go the rental route. I'm just not sure I use it enough to add yet another tool to the shed.

Spanky, that is cheap! Some of the splitting axes made in Sweden go for close to $200....some even more.

http://hultsbruk1697.se/

https://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/

You are willing to spend $100 on a bottle of single malt scotch that will last you a year or two. How about a handcrafted axe that will last you your life, your kids life and your grandchildrens life! "Grandpa DJ Spanky left me this handcrafted Swedish axe he bought in 2021, and this empty bottle of single malt" LOL!
Year or two? A bottle of single malt scotch will last him maybe an hour or two.

• Haha
Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY
The development I live in has several wooded lots. I got permission from the board of trustees to cut any wood that is already on the ground. My estimate is It would take me five years or more just to get most of the wood that is already felled. I will not need firewood for quite some time with my current available supply.
Ah. I border a state preserve (looking out my back door!), so any fallen trees I'm allowed to harvest. I've handled the ones close to me that aren't rotted away, but now I have to go deeper in the woods and hump anything I cut up and down several hills.

Ah. I border a state preserve (looking out my back door!), so any fallen trees I'm allowed to harvest. I've handled the ones close to me that aren't rotted away, but now I have to go deeper in the woods and hump anything I cut up and down several hills.
Nothing a strapping young man like yourself can’t handle! Time to invest in a Log Ox and a fresh bottle of single malt!

Yeah, though maybe you shouldn't go swinging axes after finishing that bottle of single malt...just sayin'

So my GF and I bought a house with a fireplace. We are still debating whether to convert it to a wood burning stove insert. During the colder months we love having a fire and usually will burn three nights a weekend(please don't yell at me about my carbon footprint because I don't care). Anyhow, I have had to find a way to source and stack firewood for our fires. In NJ most of the people I know just call a guy who will drop off a face cord or two of firewood and either stack it or pay someone to stack it for them. While I can afford to do it that way, for me that is out of the question. I have never liked going to a gym and running and lifting weights indoors. its just not my thing. So I have always used working around the house, even in winter as my way to burn calories and stay relatively in shape.
As a result of our burning habit I have gotten into some mild lumberjacking and I love it. Going into the woods with my axe, chainsaw, and logging tools has been one of the nicest experiences I have had through the pandemic. I go out there cut some wood, load it up into the car, and have a few hours out in nature getting a good workout, lifting, cutting, chopping, and stacking wood. Right now I have about 3 cords of oak, cherry, ash, and maple seasoning for next winter. I am just wondering if there are any others on the board who love the whole process of getting firewood.
This is awesome, BrotherSkinny!

Brotherskinny, you are right nothing beats a good wood fire, the heat is amazing and the smell is second to none. Never had wood heat growing up but when my wife and I built our first house we had a woodstove and I would never live without one again. We built our new house on our farm in Iowa and I have to cut and split way more wood for the winters out here than I did in NJ but it's my favorite job that i have on my farm.

We have a lot of fires over the winter. I have never bought firewood, I always find downed trees or other sources. We cut it all by hand, both sawing and chopping. I have a couple of axes, a couple of sledges and a few wedges I use. Need to rustle up some more wood as we pretty much exhausted our supply this past winter. I also need to either replace an axe handle or just get a new axe. That x27 looks interesting, but $60?

@BROTHERSKINNY where do you go to get firewood?
It's worth its weight in gold. Promise me a few sips of single malt with some grilled salmon (after the demonstration) and I will take a drive there and show you how well the X27 compares to a maul and/or wedge. I will bring some high powered, northeast IPAs from the eastern seaboard. True story, I was splitting wood a couple weeks ago when I keep hearing this dull thump, thump, thump. I knew it was from the neighbor behind and one house over. I take a walk and it's the 16 yr old son swinging away with a 6 lb, yellow handled, old home depot maul..and making no progress. I talked to the dad, told him about the X27 and went back home to pick up the axe. I asked him to pick a log he was having difficulty splitting, which he replied "here's one that gave me trouble". One and sometimes two hits was all it took for me. For every piece. He had a few swings himself, put the axe down and placed his order. Light, efficient, saves time. Lifetime guarantee. Great customer service (on a broken sharpener, they sent me two and apologized the broken one, no hassles). When should I come down?
Splitting and stacking wood has certain therapeutic appeal to me...but does anyone out there buck logs by handsaw? My POS Wallyworld chainsaw kicked the bucket and I've been mulling over the prospect of using a bowsaw or old school crosscut saw to buck logs into rounds. Anybody do this or is it just ridiculous?
Buck your own logs? Admirable and you will get a ton of recognition from me for even trying, but I think it's a waste of time. Plus you will forgo the extreme pleasures of using the best gas powered tool available, the chainsaw. If you will be cutting a bunch of logs year after year, do yourself a favor and buy a Stihl. They are more expensive compared to most others but they make a great saw. Bonus if you can find a lightly used mid-range model at a discount.

So my GF and I bought a house with a fireplace. We are still debating whether to convert it to a wood burning stove insert. During the colder months we love having a fire and usually will burn three nights a weekend(please don't yell at me about my carbon footprint because I don't care). Anyhow, I have had to find a way to source and stack firewood for our fires. In NJ most of the people I know just call a guy who will drop off a face cord or two of firewood and either stack it or pay someone to stack it for them. While I can afford to do it that way, for me that is out of the question. I have never liked going to a gym and running and lifting weights indoors. its just not my thing. So I have always used working around the house, even in winter as my way to burn calories and stay relatively in shape.
As a result of our burning habit I have gotten into some mild lumberjacking and I love it. Going into the woods with my axe, chainsaw, and logging tools has been one of the nicest experiences I have had through the pandemic. I go out there cut some wood, load it up into the car, and have a few hours out in nature getting a good workout, lifting, cutting, chopping, and stacking wood. Right now I have about 3 cords of oak, cherry, ash, and maple seasoning for next winter. I am just wondering if there are any others on the board who love the whole process of getting firewood.
Get the wood stove. Your wood consumption will be cut down and heat the house more efficiently. They have air flow regulators so you can adjust the rate of burn. If the fire goes out and all you have is a couple embers, with the adjustment of the air flow you can start the fire right back up.
Hint: buy a cast iron kettle to keep the house humidified. You can also add dried lavender(or whatever) for an air freshener.

I hate cutting wood, splitting and stacking. Even have various size chain saws. a wood splitter and front end loader to help. But when you’re on Propane you do what you have to. Get the wood stove they’re worth it.

Last edited:
It's worth its weight in gold. Promise me a few sips of single malt with some grilled salmon (after the demonstration) and I will take a drive there and show you how well the X27 compares to a maul and/or wedge. I will bring some high powered, northeast IPAs from the eastern seaboard. True story, I was splitting wood a couple weeks ago when I keep hearing this dull thump, thump, thump. I knew it was from the neighbor behind and one house over. I take a walk and it's the 16 yr old son swinging away with a 6 lb, yellow handled, old home depot maul..and making no progress. I talked to the dad, told him about the X27 and went back home to pick up the axe. I asked him to pick a log he was having difficulty splitting, which he replied "here's one that gave me trouble". One and sometimes two hits was all it took for me. For every piece. He had a few swings himself, put the axe down and placed his order. Light, efficient, saves time. Lifetime guarantee. Great customer service (on a broken sharpener, they sent me two and apologized the broken one, no hassles). When should I come down?
Let me get some wood for you to split, then come on over!

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Curious where you're getting the wood from. Have to imagine it's illegal to cut down trees on public land. I own some property and have had people come on and cut trees on my land, which did not make me so happy.
The Parkway was doing some widening projects up in the State section around the MP 130's. They would cut down the trees and then truck them out the next day.

Night time guys would come up with their pick ups and try to cut the wood and haul it away. I would note them working, then come back in a few hours and tell them; '' Unload that truck and leave. You are stealing from the State of New Jersey."

It was good for a laugh...

Get the wood stove. Your wood consumption will be cut down and heat the house more efficiently. They have air flow regulators so you can adjust the rate of burn. If the fire goes out and all you have is a couple embers, with the adjustment of the air flow you can start the fire right back up.
Hint: buy a cast iron kettle to keep the house humidified. You can also add dried lavender(or whatever) for an air freshener.

I hate cutting wood, splitting and stacking. Even have various size chain saws. a wood splitter and front end loader to help. But when you’re on Propane you do what you have to. Get the wood stove they’re worth it.

Get a wood stove connected to your fireplace chimney and make sure the chimney is clean or replace with new metal. You've reduced your fire danger and also the lost BTU's up the chimney from a normal fireplace.

Reactions: koleszar
Brotherskinny, you are right nothing beats a good wood fire, the heat is amazing and the smell is second to none. Never had wood heat growing up but when my wife and I built our first house we had a woodstove and I would never live without one again. We built our new house on our farm in Iowa and I have to cut and split way more wood for the winters out here than I did in NJ but it's my favorite job that i have on my farm.
I agree 100%. I think everyone loves a wood fire but it’s the work required to get the wood fire that is the problem. Interestingly that is the part I love the most!
going into the woods, bucking logs, hauling them out, stacking them as rounds so the pile won’t collapse, splitting them, stacking them,etc. that is hard physical labor but it is very practical and beats working out inside any day.
The reward comes on a cold winter night when I am sipping a lagavulin 16 in front of the fire. The smoke smell from the fire mixes with Smokey, peaty smell of the scotch and I start hallucinating that Rutgers has won the CFB national championship! Moral of the story: is keep chopping!

Yup, I love the process of getting wood. Especially in the morning when I'm with my girl...🪵

Interesting thread Skinny. I scrounge all my own wood from storms in my area of Monmouth County. I have only had to pay for wood a few times in 30 years.

I usually rent a splitter from HD and spend a weekend doing 2-3 cords after a big storm. Generally share with my neighbor.

Have thought about converting to gas but would really miss the snap crackle pop and smell of burning wood.

For years, I though a maul, wedges and/or splitting grenades were the way to split wood. That may be true for larger logs. But for logs under 2 feet in diameter, there is nothing better than a splitting axe. While the one @BROTHERSKINNY looks nice, I have become partial to Fiskars, with the composite handle. It is very light, and great to work with. Have had this model for years.

I have that axe and it does the job. Agree with OP on the love of forewood. While I don’t have access to any woods to cut and gather I get my wood delivered as rounds/not split as I love the splitting and stacking on a nice fall day. I love when I can get cedar as the smell as you split and burn is great and I can use it in the outdoor fire pit. My favorite wood for fireplace burning is black locust but it’s hard to get. Most of the tree guys keep it for themselves It burns hotter and longer than most woods

I was in a similar situation. I ended up putting in a jotul oslo stove. It's sitting just outside the fireplace. It's much more efficient than an insert and it doesn't rely on blowers.

I love when I can get cedar as the smell as you split and burn is great and I can use it in the outdoor fire pit. My favorite wood for fireplace burning is black locust but it’s hard to get. Most of the tree guys keep it for themselves It burns hotter and longer than most woods
I don't like cedar it burns too quickly like sassafras. But I can see the appeal, however we're using the wood stove strictly for heat, while you're using it for ambience . Black locust is great to burn you get that blue/green flame with them but it smells like sh*t. Black Locust is highly coveted as farmers use it for fence posts, the sh*t never rots.

The Ash(not that one) we get is great in our compost pile, around the fruit orchard and in the garden. We also use it in the chicken coop to kill mites. It's better than lime in boosting the ph level. We also use it as an ant deterrent. Sprinkle that on an ant infestation, no more ants. Moral of the story, don't throw out your Ash(I know) you just made a natural product that you can't buy in stores and is better than anything you can buy in stores.

I don't like cedar it burns too quickly like sassafras. But I can see the appeal, however we're using the wood stove strictly for heat, while you're using it for ambience . Black locust is great to burn you get that blue/green flame with them but it smells like sh*t. Black Locust is highly coveted as farmers use it for fence posts, the sh*t never rots.

The Ash(not that one) we get is great in our compost pile, around the fruit orchard and in the garden. We also use it in the chicken coop to kill mites. It's better than lime in boosting the ph level. We also use it as an ant deterrent. Sprinkle that on an ant infestation, no more ants. Moral of the story, don't throw out your Ash(I know) you just made a natural product that you can't buy in stores and is better than anything you can buy in stores.
Do you fence the garden where you put the Ash? When Ash was spread the most, did your best farm animals escape the fencing anyway and run to the farms west of you where there are greener pastures?

Last edited:
I was in a similar situation. I ended up putting in a jotul oslo stove. It's sitting just outside the fireplace. It's much more efficient than an insert and it doesn't rely on blowers.
Jotul = great Scandinavian engineering!

I love the X27. I’m 5’9” and it’s easy to use. My neighbor unfortunately lost a bunch of trees to the Ash borer. I used the X27 to bust through several cords with ease.
We replaced our fireplace with an insert several years ago and used these guys-they’re in Wind Gap, PA. A little bit of a trip but they were awesome:

Reactions: Knight Shift
Do you fence the garden where you put the Ash? When Ash was spread the most, did your best farm animals escape the fencing anyway and run to the farms west of you where there are greener pastures?
Ash is easy to find and burns hot. It always has those squiggly designs from the borers. Lastly it is always good to have an Ash Heap.

I was always curious about how well that works on lawns.

I was always curious about how well that works on lawns.
If your ph is low it works excellent. As it has other nutrients that your lawn craves, instead of just lime. It soaks in quicker and goes right to work. Think about when a forest burns how quickly it begins to grow back.

The New Jersey State Parks and Forests used to have certain times of the year where people could go in and take home downed trees. People in Sussex County used to do it all the time when I lived there. I DO NOT know if this is still the policy, but worth a phone call to your local state park, state forest, or wildlife management area.

I actually started using my fireplace ash on my lawn so this is very timely! There are tons of things you can make using ash.

Have to have something to cover the firewood—

They really need to update the description, it's been almost 20 months since that guy was on the sidelines:

"You can show your support for this division I - FBS Big Ten Conference team and coach Chris Ash with the Block R Logo."

I hope you have some keep choppin gear, get some video of your choppin for next Fall’s GIFs

i buy pre split

I read somewhere that if you have a 5 acre wooded lot, the new growth will be enough to never run out of wood to cut/burn for the life of the property.

Our camp has a large FP insert with stainless steel chimney insert, cast iron pot for humidity and a small air driven fan to move the warm air away for the unit.

It generates enough heat to use early spring and late fall. Camp is not winterized and has no road access, so it's unusable in winter or when the lake ices up. But it's about 1,800 sq ft that it keeps comfortable, 2 stories.

We haven't used our fireplace since we built our fire pit a couple years ago. One of the concerns I've always had was chimney fires as I knew someone in town that almost lost their house due to one.

I used to have the chimney cleaned every couple of years or so, but last seasons we used it I burned those creosote cleaning logs. Anyone know if those things actually work though?

We haven't used our fireplace since we built our fire pit a couple years ago. One of the concerns I've always had was chimney fires as I knew someone in town that almost lost their house due to one.

I used to have the chimney cleaned every couple of years or so, but last seasons we used it I burned those creosote cleaning logs. Anyone know if those things actually work though?
My brother in law who is a retired fire inspector says hell no. Then again, he says no to candles and the like too. Not worth the cost-cutting in my opinion. Aside from creosote, you can also have pest nests in your stack.

Reactions: RW90
Well somewhat related (I guess) I recently had my chimney inspected and was told I need a new liner. I’d prefer to get a second opinion before pulling the trigger on the new liner.

Can anyone recommend a good chimney company in the Middlesex County area?

Well somewhat related (I guess) I recently had my chimney inspected and was told I need a new liner. I’d prefer to get a second opinion before pulling the trigger on the new liner.

Can anyone recommend a good chimney company in the Middlesex County area?
You may have better luck search for "chimney sweep" in your town/area and read Google reviews. Several came up for Woodbridge that had good ratings.
My oldest son and I installed a liner ourselves, but we have a ranch with a low pitch roof, and it was fairly straightforward.

If you have your chimney swept there’s no concern. They inspect and sometimes recommend a mechanical rotating brush if needed. They’re not in the business to lose customers. Our guy comes once a year because of our high usage. He recommends at least three creosote burns a season. It does help some but is not a cure all. The person you know who had a fire probably never had their chimney swept or inspected before use.

Reactions: RW90
We had the chimney relined, gave us the piece of mind to use it and have other family members use camp without us worrying about it's use.

A ex NJSP classmate of mine was a sweep, but his business was in South Jersey. Had all the work he could handle/sweep.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT